So scared....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
MY fiancee/wife has to do a chemically induced pre-operative stress test tomorrow then they're scheduling her heart surgery (she's having TWO valves replaced). She's so scared, I'm strong for her but when I'm not with her all I think about is nothing but what could go wrong. Mainly because what she told me happened to a family member of the same age.

THree years ago one of her loved ones had to have the same surgery (just one valve replacement, tho) but died after she awoke from anesthesia. Surgery went fine but after wards in the ICU, she woke and then just passed away. She blames herself because she told the loved one that It'd be fine....but it wasn't. she has alot of unnecessary guilt over this, needless to say.

I find myself crying when alone, I put on a strong resolve for her but I need strength. I am a religious person (i know i know, I don't need to hear the B S ) but I can't see myself w/o her.

Anyone have expereinces, thoughts or opinions on heart valve replacement surgery...sorry I'm just rambling.

She's so afraid...and so am I ....I know it's just fear and anxiety of the unknown but it's good to hear what others have to say/experience.

If you're religious please say a prayer if not just some positive vibes out to the cosmos would be a kindness.

Much Love

7ge

I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers. 7

That test aint that bad it's like doing a hit of weak acid back in the 80's heart beating 100 mpg and you setting still.

thanks Ozzy, I appreciate it so much. I know I don't really know you guys in real life but I know you're good peeps. thanks again bud.

***hugs***. That is scary.

I'm not religious per se, but she (and you!) are in my thoughts and prayers.

I wish her a successful surgery and easy, speedy recovery. :)

thanks Smokinmom! You are so awesome you know that? love ya...

I had a very good friend last fall had 2 valve replacement surgery and had a pacemaker set up at the same time. We were all very very worried the person is in the young 70's. came through surgery like a champ, had wonderful surgeons, could not ask for anything less. Its fear of the unknown, and I fully understand what your feeling. I would not worry the doctors are superior these days and they amount of technology is awesome. I will say a prayer for you both and I sure hope she'll be fine.
Good Luck 7 Keep us posted

god bless you Lobstah, I need to hear such a great stories regarding valve replacements. She is only 34 and has a very strong heart despite the two faulty valves. Because of the condition, her heart is enlarged and sometimes makes her short of breath....

I've told her about three ppl I know of that have had VR surgeries w/o a hitch...we just need to talk to her Cardiologist and now get the specifics.

Thanks for posting Lobstah.

You are in washington right? Will she by chance be at Sacred Heart? If so that is the best for anything heart.

Of course your scared to death. I would be too. I am a little panicked just hearing you have to go thru this. My neighbor has had valve replacement and it went just fine. She had it done twice, 30 years apart or something. Both times was fine.

I will pray for you and your best friend. It is so scary but try to know it will be ok. The chances are greater that she will be ok. You will be ok too.

thank you so much Rosebud, I can tell that you are a sweet caring individual (much like alot ppl here at MP). I'm starting to feel a lil bit better. It's just that certain days I'm not so strong or certain...today being one of those anxiety-filled days. Need to get home and take a ripper.

We do not know where the surgery will take place yet.

7 try and think of all the positives bro....surgery in this day and age is a lot safer then it ever has been. You can and will drive yourself crazy if you sit and think of all the negative things that cld happen. I know because I recently did just that when my Mom was going through her problems. If you need to sit and cry then do it...there is no shame in it. It's actually a good stress reliever.
I don't do the religion thing, yeah I know that's a shocker.:). I will put out the good vibes though. Best of luck and keep us posted.

you're good peeps, Hammy, and I appreciate your kind words and positive vibes, and so does she. Just today was one of those "circular logic" days where you just keep coming back to the negative ****.

thanks for posting, bud, makes me feel better.

I'll be signing off in 15 minutes guys so if I don't respond to you, I'll most definately respond tomorrow early in the a.m.

Much love to everyone here at MP, thanks for listening to my anxiety-fueled neurosies...lol

:peace:

................:48:..............

STay strong, I know how hard it is for the spouse to sit back and watch when our loved one's are going through a serious medical procedure.

My husband had a fifth lower spine surgery and woke up paralized from the waist down. (Thats the short version)

You are doing the right thing staying strong for her and coming here for support. Its ok for you to cry and feel scared. its normal to feel this way for someone we love.

I will keep you and your wife in my prayers and wish her a speedy recovery.

SHe is lucky to have you. God Bless you.

:48: Hang in there!

7g's---your lady is very fortunate to have both you and this opportunity to improve her quality of life---best wishes and prayers your way

Anyone have expereinces, thoughts or opinions on heart valve replacement surgery...sorry I'm just rambling.

My Mother had a valve replacement in ..like 1970. It lasted until 2000.:) Both heart surgery ANd the valves have come a LONG way since the 70's.
I wish you both the very best, and a full and speedy recovery.

I have a stress test done every 2 years for my cardiologist. Its not that bad. My body doesn't like the nuc med they inject much. I have been to LifeMed and sat in on them excising body parts and bones that have come from donor bodies. The longevity of the valve as more to do with the heath of the donor than it does the surgery to implant them. With that said, survival rates are very high for this surgery.

7green my pilgrem friend here in yur voice that I hear in me head when yual talk and can tell yual be stressin so much over this. I can tell yual a few things first my wife was diagnosed with cancer 2 yars go and at time we had 5 year old little girl. My wife and I were so scared cause I knows I couldnt live without her and I need her round to help raise me young up right with 2 parents. Well we love each other and when I was alone I would cry and beg god not to take her way from us cause we wouldt be the team without her. We we took stand that we be in it to win it! And needed to fight any negative head on to challenge. We are winning the battle I must say :) It all be bout being possitive in ones own mind as well as the presents of the other and fortify yur love by being strong supportive understandin and to show that no matter what come yu and yur wifes way, yual stand side to side with each other and hold all strong. Sorry to ramble cause I still get choked up bout the trails walked in past and sometimes still find myself wastin time worryin bout future. As long as yual have each other this day take advantage of it and if another day be given yur way then take advantage of it, just as we do cause pilgrem its all we can do my friend.
I have special prayer I made up just for my wifes situation and I will say it for yu and yur wife as well as to burn some special pinecones in me fire tonight ifin yual would or could please pm her name to me and i will be sure to send them out for the both of you. Stay stronge stay positive and stay to each others side and yual do just fine.

BWD

So when I got home from work, my wife was there and she told me about how she had been talking about the upcoming valve replacement surgery (with her family on the phone). And when I said "oh good, I talked to my friends online (MP) a grip of them had awesome success stories.
as soon as I said that she got flushed and felt ice cold. She couldnt feel the tips of her fingers and her jeart was very accelerated. I was at first thinking it was a panic attack but it didn'2t. go away after she took her Xanax, it didn't even recede the slightest.
So I ran her to the ER and since she's a difficult poke, they had to put in a central line. Upon puting that in her BP dropped to around 50 and her heart rate (I believe) went up to 165 and bounced around.
THey couldn't get her stabilized so the Dr. told me they may have to her use electricity to stimulate her heart into the correct rhthm

She just started crying telling me "I dont want to die . I don't want to die." What the **** do you say to someone in that condition? I said Don't be dumb. I told her to stop being pessismistic like she prone to be once in a while (like us all i guess). and that I was here and would make sure she was being taken care of.

Well they decided to give her some sort of drug that would constrict here blood vessels and raise her BP and lower the heartrate. After an hour of her cramping and begging me to make it stop they gave her some ativan to stop the cramps.

From there she stabilized but when the Dr told me they may have to use electrical stimulation, he went from lighthearted to very serious face, so I knew it was serious.

But for now she stable and apparently that was her "stress test" so we go see her Cardiologist right away. No more putting it off for the wedding that hasn't come together yet :rolleyes: I've taken her as my wife and she calls me her husband. Everyone calls her my wife and vice-versa. If we have to I can have my dad marry us, he's a preacher...

Anyway thank you all for sharing and reassuring me, it's just now alot more immediate now that her two valves are fixed.

I got beans popping in the back, I got 6 Jacks that have to be xplanted tho they've been in their starter pots for 3 weeks now :rolleyes: i got dogs to care for, step daughters to deal with, pessimistic mother in laws that aren't helping anything, sleep deprivation and a very scared love of my life.

For now she's stable and I thank the powers that be...

Kloned ranger, Growin 4 It, Orange, Hick, Umbra, and BAckwoods, (everyone her at MP for that matter) thank you so much for making me feel better and reassuring me as well. you guys are truly good people.

I'll be in touch...

-7GE

Yual set to my fireside anytime yual need someone to listen or talk ifin need be. Yur company will always be welcome to my fire friend. Here ifin ya need me.

BWD

Latest posts

Back