The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They say the traps will attract more beetles , and not to place them close to the plants you want protected.
not sure n=maybe lwan grubs are better right in yard
I tried traps last year....all it did was attract more. I put the traps a distance away....and they were everywhere. I recommend not doing this.

Good morning old farts. Just doing my post in order to bring up the numbers on this thread. It’s still hot and humid in my world. Have to get out there and sweat today tho. Have to stay ahead of those dang Japanese beetles that are horning in on my eggplants and blackberries. i saw a threesome piled up on my eggplant leaf yesterday. Don’t know what to with them when I grab them off with my hand. They buzz around in my palm until they fly away. I can never kill them like squash them. Maybe I need to collect them in a jar with Spinasod in it….
hope everyone has a swell day 😊
Back in the Olden Days, we had pretty simple, but also pretty effective japanese beetle traps. We hung a half-dozen of those ordinary sticky fly ribbons with some rose leaves or blackberry leaves stuck to them in places all along the sticky extruded strip.
1658244383123.png

We hung them along a row string over the tops of the beetles' fave plants.

Dunno if they are even made anymore, but they were ubiquitous in the 40's and 50's. They looked sorta like a roll of quarters (unopened) when you bought them. They cost 8c a pack IIRC. <-- Us kids loved to walk the two miles to Miz Gaddis' General Store, because that meant we got the 2c left over from the dime. You got 4 Mary Janes (peany-booger and molasses taffy bites) for 2c.
1658244767268.png

HO-lee shite!! I just went searching and found them (see pic above)... But the fargin things no longer sell for 8c a pack. The price is now $6.40!!! :eek:

Last edited:
I got this in the mail today from a decades long friend here on the passion...both patwi and his bride know what my dutchie means to me...what thoughtful friends...I'm fortunate to have made many friends in the 2 plus decades of interaction online...much love brother...🥰
IMG_1278.JPG

I was joking about the cal mag, they get ample doses of it every feeding...high humidity and decent air flow...tents are difficult for me to get around in them to fully inspect...I use GH 3 part system and am now thinking too much too soon as most of the issues are in early veg...the fire OG x BB in flower may be heat related, 20" below the light...that's the only plant in flower that is showing these signs...

Back in the Olden Days, we had pretty simple, but also pretty effective japanese beetle traps. We hung a half-dozen of those ordinary sticky fly ribbons with some rose leaves or blackberry leaves stuck to them in places all along the sticky extruded strip.View attachment 303404

We hung them along a row string over the tops of the beetles' fave plants.

Dunno if they are even made anymore, but they were ubiquitous in the 40's and 50's. They looked sorta like a roll of quarters (unopened) when you bought them. They cost 8c a pack IIRC. <-- Us kids loved to walk the two miles to Miz Gaddis' General Store, because that meant we got the 2c left over from the dime. You got 4 Mary Janes (peany-booger and molasses taffy bites) for 2c.
View attachment 303405
HO-lee shite!! I just went searching and found them (see pic above)... But the fargin things no longer sell for 8c a pack. The price is now $6.40!!! :eek:
I still buy them they are two packs for 3.00 at the truck stops.

Just came in for a break I’m drenched. Hot as ballz outside. Got all the pepper plants staked and tied up a bit more. They are growing fast and loaded heavy with jalapeño, sweet banana and bell peppers. Have plenty to give away and jalapeño poppers every nite for a while anywaze. Gonna trade some extra eggplant for zucchini which my neighbor is overwhelmed with. Well gotta see what’s for supper tonight and the joint turned brown so I guess I’ll be on my way. Y’all stay cool 😎

I got this in the mail today from a decades long friend here on the passion...both patwi and his bride know what my dutchie means to me...what thoughtful friends...I'm fortunate to have made many friends in the 2 plus decades of interaction online...much love brother...🥰
View attachment 303406
Nice one Patwi👍

View attachment 303406
Holy shite!!

Who is this masked man that gave you a chokey-up sooper nice thing like that?!

None other than my admired patwi. 🤩 Waytago, patwi!

Latest posts

Back