To Be or Not To Be (sexing at a early stage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozman

Reaction score
Well Im not sure but it looks like a male to me.I have 4 plants that "look" like they should be female by their structure and 1 that appears to be a male by its looks.When I use a magnifing glass and look at the nodes they all appear to be male.I included a pic and maybe somebgody else could make a determination before I get depressed and cut all 5 of my Northern Lights :( Im hoping that I could get at least 1 female.Im getting tired of the shwag here(buying stems seeds and shake :( thats all I can thats why I started growing again. Maybe somebody else can be more abjective towards them,but I have lost all hope on these 5.Now I'm hoping that my aurora indica and white widow will be more females than male.The plants are only 7 days in the bud cycle of 12/12.:watchplant::confused2:

100_1013a.jpg

me too.I c no stalk under, but yet with the mag glass I c no hair either :( :watchplant::48:

while i would wait and monitor it a bit more, it sure looks as though i see an early male pre-flower

I agree with MP on this one. Looks like it might be a male but give it more time to make sure.

Difficult to say at this early stage, but does look male, then again female pre flowers look very similar, as suggested above, wait a while longer intil your sure :)

The pic on the left is male and the pic on the right is female, you can see how similar they look until they show their true colours so to speak.

4638d1004981728-how-determine-sex-marijuana-preflower-male.jpg

2 beer baby first show.JPG

massproducer said:
Idk, that pic on the right looks like a male too hippy

Yes I know it does, that is why I put the pic up, it is a female, she is now 14ft in a greenhouse, what I was showing is the similarities, so wait a while longer to make sure of what you have :aok:

thanks HIE.. I agreed that it "LOOKS" male at that point. You've proven, brought out a good point...make certain before you kill them.. ;) "patience will be rewarded"..;)

Hey Everybody,Well after looking again and spending about an hour looking long and deep into my crystal ball,I've decided that all 5 are males :( so much so I have moved them to the edge of the light for a few more days just to make sure they or arent.I will use the space to give my females from my bag seed more light,they are flowering like crazy and looking sweet :) I just find it hard t o believe that all 5 are male hence the waiting a few more days,I guess that means then I should have some females in my 5 seeds I have left I mean what are the chances that all 10 seeds would be male ?????? So a big Thanks to everybody that replied I appreciate the help.

Another very important thing to remember is that out of say 10 seeds sprouted atleast 2-3 will be intersexed, meaning that they could go either way, and still carry all of the traits of a male and female, these plants are the very thing that create most seeded crops.

If a plant shows a ball early but then continues to bloom as a female, that is not a female, it is an intersexed plant. A true female will show no balls whatsoever. IMHO, that is not a female pre-flower, it has a ball structure and you can actually see the starting of the 5 petals present on only male flowers... Females do not open, they are more of 1 fused modified leaf that covers the ovary.

I would be very interested to see what that actual pre-flower looks like now that you have confirmed the female genes within the plant.

do you have any pics of your 14 foot plant, because I have honestly never seen a MJ plant grow to 14 feet, and only in one season???

I do know that some sativas can grow to like 7-8 feet, but you are talking about double that, that would be absolutley incedible, being that is double the largest plant I have seen before. When did you start this plant??? Also is this the plant you have in your greenhouse now? if so, how big is your greenhouse? because if you have a 14 foot plant in there and still have room left over then you must have a massive GH, I know that mine is 8 x 10, but only has an 8 foot arched ceiling.

MassP,
hey on the pic that you posted with the pre-flower...was that plant in flower when it started showing the pre-flowers, or was it still in veg? Either way...how long was it in veg/flower before the pre-flowers became that distinct?

solarz

Yes its in my G/H, its the plant in my sig, it has been bent a kind of S and U shape, the G/H is 10x6.5x7.5, the plant root is in the far left corner, the plant is bent to the floor and grows to the entrance of the greenhouse and back to the far right of the greenhouse, I havnt measured it, because I cannot get in the greenhouse unless im on all 4's, total length will have to wait until harvest.

P.s.

The plant was started mid February.

Oh come on hip

its a bit like the 1 who got away

stop exaggerating.....................;)

we all know it is only

13' 11.5" at a push :p

ozman... if I was you.. I would wait.... but as far I did see that pic of preflowering male.. yes its shows... but... If I was you, I would wait and do expect some males... .just like I do with my history of growing.. check for pistol and pollen sac ... just wait until you do see "clusters of balls/nuts" then you do have confirmation of male plant.. I did saw all my mothers has pistols or little leaves growing could be pistol though... until 3 days ago.. found 2 males just because it has clusters of balls at the top.. and transplanted it outside.. then went back to see others plants for more confirmation.. I do see better of white hairs on the pistols.. which confirmation to say its female.. I'm alright and happy with my result that did came from bagseed!

omg, I have a few plants, and if thats a open pollen sack, then i have a few males just like that. crap!

So, are all my plants going to have seeds now even if i remove the males as soon as i get home? im so mad right now!

Latest posts

Back