Whats worse while in 12/12? Transplanting or going rootbound?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col.forbin

Reaction score
To make a long story short, when i transplanted my girls (using promix bx by the way) for 12/12, they ended up in vegg WAY longer than I had planned(about 6 weeks) and they ended up filling up their pots immensly.

Now these have only been in 12/12 for a week, but the 3 plants that are in the promix bx(crazy root growth) their roots have already all over the sides of the dirt when i pull them out. Yes, lol, i can pull them out already without dirt falling off-the dirt has already taken shape of the pots because of the roots.

My question is , should IU tplant these 3 into larger pots, say 5 gallon? (they r 3.9 gallon now) I know this stresses out the girls BUT im worried about later in the flowering,(these r only 8 week strains, but still..) really worried theyll go rootbound and i dont know whats worse.

Please help!

Thanks,Forbin

Well I dont know what is worst in your situation but I have found out that when I have re potted flowering plants is that they havent grown too much roots after wards. Hence I dont repot flowering plants anymore.

If these 3 are all in individual pots then maybe re pot at least 1 if not 2 and see what kind of result you end up at the end. Did it make a difference?

Good Luck

So they are like 7 weeks old in 3-4 gallon pots? I'd leave them alone and not transplant. Like Parcero said they might not even use the extra gallon or so of mix. Plus you risk really pissing them off by transplanting.

I would just feed them and watch them grow til harvest

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
So they are like 7 weeks old in 3-4 gallon pots? I'd leave them alone and not transplant. Like Parcero said they might not even use the extra gallon or so of mix. Plus you risk really pissing them off by transplanting.

They were first in 5.5" pots after cloning...stayed there for about 3 weeks, then went to the 4 gallon pots. I had planned on keeping them there for 1-2 weeks before 12/12, but couldnt because males flowers started to pop on my jillybean...which amounted to nothing! no seeds which was great, but these plants could be about ready to flush instead of being in week 1 of flowering lol.

I actually was able to lift to plant out by its stem(about to water but realized how rooted these are) after pressing around sides of container...roots matted....(my fox farm ocean forest doesnt have this problem-promix bx is great for root growth-for me)i see what ur saying about an extra gal not making a difference, im just worried these roots have nowhere to go..i shoulda used smart pots maybe?

Anyways, thanks for advice any furthur advice is appreciated ie: certain tips or nutrient supplements to add.

Thanks!

If they have only been in 12/12 for a week, transplant.

IMO, If ya transplant properly.... the plant will never know and continue to grow normally, i have transplant at week 7 of a 10 week strain if needed, JMO.

makes sense hemp goddess and dman....may just do 2 of 3 like pacero suggested

would it be wise to tplant into fabric pots instead of plastic since roots r so big?(i guess fabric pots "prune" the roots...havent tried them yet

so u are a week into flower right? do what ever you would like, lots here use fabric pots.

dman1234 said:
so u are a week into flower right? do what ever you would like, lots here use fabric pots.

yes a week. wondering, how does water not come out the sides when watering in fab pots?

Thanks

col.forbin said:
yes a week. wondering, how does water not come out the sides when watering in fab pots?

Thanks

i think it does, i think you have to water slow and have a collection tray under them, but i dont use them so someone else will comment.

Transplant is my vote but i grow big girls.

After they have been in the fabric pots the water doesn't come out the sides. Some water slow at first. I don't, I use a shower and soak them, but they have a saucer under them and they are in the bathtub. ha.

It does come out the sides, but not to an extreme extent. It dribbles into the drip tray and accumulates with the rest of the run off.

Rosebud said:

After they have been in the fabric pots the water doesn't come out the sides. Some water slow at first. I don't, I use a shower and soak them, but they have a saucer under them and they are in the bathtub. ha.
Ha! :rofl: do you seriously just turn the shower on Rose?!? Hahaha mental picture is so awesome, but I'm hella baked :D

ozzydiodude said:
I would just feed them and watch them grow til harvest

:yeahthat:

I did a grow in glass containers and found that the roots did not grow much once they start budding(starting about week 2 of 12/12).

I water my smart pots(fabric) real slow with a saucer under them. Whatever water escapes down the sides gets wicked back up into the plant from the saucer.

ston-loc said:
Ha! :rofl: do you seriously just turn the shower on Rose?!? Hahaha mental picture is so awesome, but I'm hella baked :D

Seriously, they get showers a couple times a week.

Rosebud said:
Seriously, they get showers a couple times a week.

Rose, I do this, too. My grow closet is off my master bath. They get showers quite frequently.

I x plant 3-4 times during a plant's life. The clone, the veg, the late veg and xplant when I flip them to bloom. And my roots are to the drainage holes and quite filled up the pot. That's not true about roots not taking up the new soil in and during bloom...mine do it all the time and are almost nicely (if thats possible) rootbound when I harvest the girls, and dump the pots...

Rosebud said:

:yeahthat: :goodposting: +rep

I do EXACTLY the same thing!:icon_smile: But I only use a saucer if they are over dry and need some bottom watering to re saturate the medium. Have one of those shower heads on a hose, so it's like a good rain.

Either the shower or outside. I'm liberal with the water and it gets messy.:hubba: Plenty of run off.

I'd transplant also, but would consider 7gal pots instead of 5gal.

Wet

Latest posts

Back