when to start nutrients?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudWeederson

Reaction score
Ok this plant is about two weeks old. Besides the initial stupid mistakes on my part that killed off the first leaves it looks like its survived and growing healthy now. This is my first plant from seed in StonyBud's system so I need some advice on when to start the nutes. I'm going to use GH Flora Nova one-part grow. How much should i use per gallon, and when should i start. Thanks!
:farm: Bud

1.jpg

2.jpg

Use 1/4 to 1/8 strength nutes at first... see how the girls take it for a week... after a week they should be okay to go to 1/2 strength... next week.. full strength......

****Food Strengths Vary By Strain..... skunk loves lots of nutes... can take a lot at a time, right away... white strains can take it... but must be introduced slowly.

ok i'm just nervous because i almost burnt it at first (dead bottom leaves) but now its growing fast and healthy with just water. I want to see what it can do with some help now! :farm: Bud

well less is better then more... try 1/8 or 1/4 strength... and if the fans are yellow from def... then add a lil more... overdueing causes damage...

First, measure your nutes very, very carefully. It's extremely strong stuff.

I would advise you to start with 1/8th strength of what the suggested full strength mix is.

Use that until the plant is sexually mature; about 6 weeks. Then move up to 1/4 strength.

Show us some pics then, and we'll go from there!

Good luck man!

Stoney Bud said:
First, measure your nutes very, very carefully. It's extremely strong stuff.

I would advise you to start with 1/8th strength of what the suggested full strength mix is.

Use that until the plant is sexually mature; about 6 weeks. Then move up to 1/4 strength.

Show us some pics then, and we'll go from there!

Good luck man!

:yeahthat: I agree 100% with StoneyBud. I use the same exact nutes. I had a NL plant and I gave her full strength nutes right off the bat and burnt her to a crisp, I was able to save her from that, but only to have my dog sneak out from under the gate and eat her....dumb dog. But these nutes are VERY STRONG!!!! Take your time with them, and GL bro.

OK a little update. I think it's been about three weeks since i planted it or so...I just started a weak nutrient solution about 1/8th of the recommended 2.5ml/gallon of FloraNova grow. Do they look a little curled under? is this too much nutes? i hope it will adjust ok. other than that its growing really fast, and looking really healthy. peace.

3weeks.jpg

3weeks2.jpg

i'm just using a tsp/2.5ml measuring spoon(?) i need to get a graduated cylinder or something though. but I just add that to the reservoir and stir it really really good. with this bad boy..

screwdriver.jpg

BudWeederson said:
i'm just using a tsp/2.5ml measuring spoon(?) i need to get a graduated cylinder or something though. but I just add that to the reservoir and stir it really really good. with this bad boy..

That method will cause you problems.

You're right. You need a 50ml beaker to measure in.

Teaspoons range all over the place.

You also need to use a one or two gallon mixing jug. Use a measuring cup and measure precisely one gallon. Mark the jug at that fill line.

Mix your nutes in that jug and THEN add it to the reservoir.

That way, you can add as much or as little as you want and it will be measured exactly.

Good luck man!

I usually add it to a jug and try to mix it as well as i can so it dissolves mostly before going into the reservoir. Does it seperate back out when it sits in the reservoir? even if its only calm for a couple of hours? or will its stay dissolved in the water?

BudWeederson said:
I usually add it to a jug and try to mix it as well as i can so it dissolves mostly before going into the reservoir. Does it seperate back out when it sits in the reservoir? even if its only calm for a couple of hours? or will its stay dissolved in the water?
The simple action of the return of the nutrient flow to your reservoir should cause enough action to keep it mixed in most cases.

DWC, you have to aereate the water to oxegenate it for the plants. In other forms of Hydro like ebb and flow and NFT, you don't need to do this.

You should just mix the one gallon jugs exactly. It's better to add it in it's balanced form. Mixing within the reservoir is just a bad idea.

holy crap stony this thing is growing like a ....weed! its bigger everytime i look at it (and that is like every hour). This system is great and i only have to mess with the PH once a day takes me like five minutes. For those who say hydro is hard, I say you need to try this thing out! Good work on the development Stoney! Thanks!

BudWeederson said:
For those who say hydro is hard, I say you need to try this out!

EXACTLY!! easy!

Stoney is right about the precise mixing... either mix in the jugs like he says... or if mixing in a rez... make sure your pumps are all turned off so u get proper readings on ph/ec and everything gets mixed evenly.

Latest posts

Back