Best $15 (x3), I ever spent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wetdog

Old Droopy Dog
Reaction score
Especially with my T-5 lights.

That would be my Pro Grip *rope ratchets* light hangars. They just save my back so much being able to raise and lower them so easily. For access to the plants and adjusting those T-5's close along with the fast growth. The HID's don't get adjusted as much or as often.

Been using them going on 2 years now and with my moms/clones/vegging plants on the floor, it was a 2 person job to adjust the lights and get at the plants with the jack chain I was using before. A real back killer.

Someone here commented in another thread "chains are so 80's". LOL So true.

Anyway, just thought I'd comment. Had to do some cleaning and it took me about 30 sec to zip the lights all the way up and out of the way and just a bit longer to lower them back down. I realized that with chains, I would of had to remove the lights completely.

Just saying.

Wet

I love mine too. Nice when you need to change out a bulb too. Good post Wetdog.

Now looking at the same spool of jack chain I've used since the 80's I feel very dated. I've used it to hang HIDs, thether fluorescents, strap carbon scrubbers to the wall, corral errant terrorists, and suspend blower fans from the ceiling. But every time I have to move a reflector or change a bulb or hang a new light I think about those light hangars and say "someday I need to get some of those new fangled hanger thingies".

Thanks for the post Wetdog. Time for me to break down and get a handful of them.

Good and deserved as well as earned!!!! Glad yual filled pouch friend ;)

BWD

Where to get the rope ratchet light hangers? Sounds like a great idea. Husband has ours on some kinds pulley system. I cringe every time I see the lights adjusted.

Thank you.

JMO chains arent exactly hard to adjust, i have hooks on them and raise or lower lights in seconds,, doesnt it concern you guys the ratchets may slip one day?? a chain wont.

The S hooks using chains is dangerous. The swivel locks and chains is much safer, but def takes more time to go up down than a rope ratchet/pro grip. Your only allowed to use chains if you have a mullet or ponytail or are Canadian also :)

LOL- OK I guess that's why I was just using them to install my newest 600W light. no mullet or ponytail...

I almost bought a pair yesterday but didn't want to spend 30.00 for a pair.
Will put them on my list- makes a lot of sense.

nouvellechef said:
The S hooks using chains is dangerous. The swivel locks and chains is much safer, but def takes more time to go up down than a rope ratchet/pro grip. Your only allowed to use chains if you have a mullet or ponytail or are Canadian also :)

LMAO, guilty as charged, on the Canadian thing not the mullet, i dont use S hooks, i use chain from a hook in the ceilling, it cant go anywhere and they adjust in seconds, you guys must be busy if you need to adjust your lights in 20 seconds instead of 30, lol
but obviously your ratchet thingys must be good judging by who and how many of you use them, carry on:D

I love my rope ratchets. They have a locking mechanism that prevents slippage. Although I imagine they will eventually wear enough to slip one day. I know that I have worn enough that I slip from time to time. :)

I remember waking up to my 400w hps laying ontop of my bubbelicious auto's do to a rope ratchet fail...

She found black gorilla tape after that, never slipped again.

I hve been promoting these ever since NorCalHal recommended them. They are simply the best light hangers. I have 3 pairs of them.

tcbud said:
Where to get the rope ratchet light hangers? Sounds like a great idea. Husband has ours on some kinds pulley system. I cringe every time I see the lights adjusted.

Thank you.

I got mine off ebay. Sunlight Supply distributes them, just do a search for ProGrip and look for the cheapest prices. Usually someone has them for $15 shipped.

I did google them a few years back and it is a company that specializes in industrial tie down equipment. What I have is about the smallest thing they make and is branded for Sunlight Supply. Even being the smallest, they support 75lbs each, 150lbs for the pair. Most of their products seems to be used in the shipping or airline industry for really heavy stuff.

Still use jack chain, just not on anything that has to be moved. Hanging shop lights or the like.

The nicest thing is in the veg area. You get pretty fast growth with the T-5's and the lights close. It's so easy to go in and raise them a 'click' or 3 and raise the lights 1/4" to 1/2" with minimal effort every day or every other day.

HL I think it was NCH that made the chain/80's comment, but the thread was lost in the crash.

With so many useless products being foisted on growers, it's really nice to find something that not only works, but works so well and inexpensive to boot. I'd bet if they weren't already in existence for other uses, the price would be 3-4x as high.

Wet

OK - so after my decapitation moment(it was a boy - so no harm done) that I might want to do something different in the future.
I've decided to get these for all of my lights.

Is ProGrip the brand?
hxxp://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-GRIP-LIG...em33781f 60c5

They are 20.00 a pair.
I found some listed as ProGrip but they aren't in the package in the picture.
It isn't easy for me to return things - so I want to get the right ones the first time around. Not a place where I want to skimp. :eek: One good thing with chains it is easy to tell the quality.

Anyone use a different brand?

Please let me know what you think

I use hooks in the ceiling with chains hooked to the lights. Must say it's easy enough to adjust my light. I tried them yo-yo hangers but did not like them at all!

tastyness said:
OK - so after my decapitation moment(it was a boy - so no harm done) that I might want to do something different in the future.
I've decided to get these for all of my lights.

Is ProGrip the brand?
hxxp://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-GRIP-LIG...em33781f 60c5

They are 20.00 a pair.
I found some listed as ProGrip but they aren't in the package in the picture.
It isn't easy for me to return things - so I want to get the right ones the first time around. Not a place where I want to skimp. :eek: One good thing with chains it is easy to tell the quality.

Anyone use a different brand?

Please let me know what you think

IDK, the link didn't work. But I can tell you what is the real deal. All those pics on ebay with no packaging ........... Could be real, could be knockoffs, IDK

The company name is USA Pro Grip Cargo Control. If you want to google.

What I have is ProGrip Light Fixture Hangers from Sunlight Supply, The Part# is 710114.

Unless you are in a big hurry, just keep checking and they will turn up for $15 or less including shipping. I also saw some for multiple sets. I ended up needing 3 sets for all the lights.

juniorgrower

These are NOT yo yo hangers despite being labeled as such on ebay. Yo yo's are crap, but these are entirely different and serious equipment, not a rip off wannabe.

Wet

dog chains work well imo, they are large heavy duty and have the locking clips at the end.

Wetdog
Thanks that's what I needed to know.
I think when I fixed the accidental posting of live link- I blew it!
hxxp://www.ebay.com/itm/221058654405?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

RDW
Thanks I've got great chains now. And I may grab some locking clips in the meantime. This is a "treat" purchase based on how much I trust the opinions of those here at MP.

I have used chains, yo-yo hangers etc and they are not even close to as nice Pro Grip. I wld never go back to any other hanger. jmo

easy said:
I second that concern.

I actually bought some nice ratchets a few years back but have yet to use them more than just trying them.........I'm always worried that they'll slip and maybe cause a fire or something..... I know people have used them for years and that they are reliable, I just stick to my chains because it eliminates the possibility of them failing.

Old school here too I guess :eek:

Not to make light (pun intended) of your concern but they are rated at 150 lbs a piece, 300lbs for a pair. They are not going to slip.

miramarhydroponics.com/progrip-light-hangers.html

Back