Cheese

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, a classic ball shot -- and pretty nasty :)

A couple of questions about this male plant. I have been turning the light on when I wake up and off when I go to bed, so it's probably getting a little more than 12 hours of light -- is that going to matter? I didn't think it would -- what's it going to do, hermie? not! and when a pollen pod looks like the one in the pic -- how long until it opens? I'm not versed on growing males -- and it is still kind of scary -- all that pollen in the boat -- and how do I collect the pollen? Can I wait until the pods open and then just tap some into a vial, or should I put something under the plant to catch the pollen as it falls? What?

Peace

I just watched a video where a guy let the male flowers get ripe, and then he took cuttings and put them in water -- still undera light for a week or so as he collected the pollen -- so what do think of this technique?

Hi Hemperfi im sure you labelled all the clones up respectively to their mothers and now fathers.
Anways looking great and dont worry all cheese strains are slow starters and you will see proper budsites starting to form around start of week 3 of flowering.
Im on week 3 of flower with 4 x barneys blue cheeses and they are like a good 10 days behind my 6 x 8 weeker lemon chronics in the bud department.
T4

i just wait for them about to open, grab the nanners out of the pod, rip a bit of the end off and the pollen will pore out into the vial.

that way you wont have to grow the thing out very long, just keep picking them at that point till your vial is as full as you want it.

I think this is the first time I ever heard of someone wanting to cut a hole in their boat. LOL :)

Hey, T4 -- I "did" label all the clones and their mothers, but lost track of them when I transplanted the mothers and put them in the tent. I have at least six male clones I don't know where are, lol -- rookie!!!!!

Puff, I guess I'll learn pretty soon what they look like just before they pop open :) I don't need much -- I only want to do like one branch of Cheese and 1 branch of AK (perhaps Satori).

well the balls open up a bit thats where what you see are "banana" looking things. they will be green at first, right before they open they will turn a more yellowish, thats when you want to grab them. be gentle, very fragile. then just rip a bit of the tip off and you see it full of white powder. then kinda massage it between your 2 fingers into the vial, try not to get any of the nanner itself in there thoug, just the pollen.

leave the jar open for a couple days so it can dry out some.

hope you dont have pollen allergies... i do and i suffered for a few days lol its worth it in the end though.

Exactly what i did Hemperfi as i thought all x 16 were females so repotted all the clones never labelled up and had a mix of 3-4 different cheeses so had to start all over again when i flowered the clones.
Its a stoner thing methinks.
Lol
T4

HemperFi said:
Hey, T4 -- I "did" label all the clones and their mothers, but lost track of them when I transplanted the mothers and put them in the tent. I have at least six male clones I don't know where are, lol -- rookie!!!!!

Puff, I guess I'll learn pretty soon what they look like just before they pop open :) I don't need much -- I only want to do like one branch of Cheese and 1 branch of AK (perhaps Satori).

Don't worry HemperFi, you'll see they are male well over a week before the pollen starts to drop so don't worry about missing something and then accidentally pollinating everything, it just won't happen as you are switched on and looking at things properly on a day to day basis.

Time4Plan-B said:
Exactly what i did Hemperfi as i thought all x 16 were females so repotted all the clones never labelled up and had a mix of 3-4 different cheeses so had to start all over again when i flowered the clones.
Its a stoner thing methinks.
Lol
T4

Even if you believe that they are all females, it is a good idea to keep track of your clones. You will end up with different phenos with 16 plants and will most likely have some that are superior to others.

Bread tags work great if you can get multiple colors. I used to use them on clones, bucket handles, and now on the edges of smart pots ;)

I did have them labeled -- when I took clones I marked the moms and the clones, but stopped worrying about it when I believed they were all female -- now I will have to let them sex out again -- rookie mistake (won't happen again). I have stopped the stretch on the Satori -- they are looking fine now. Nanners are poking out on the male in the bow -- scary. I'm in my third grow, and I am just a little overwhelmed, but I am having fun :)

Thanks for all the asdvice and concern -- I need all I can get. I was using tape and numbers to mark the plants -- colors sounds a little easier -- I will try it that way next time.

I kind of feel like I am jumping the gun a little here by even thinking about breeding -- I really should be thinking about the stash I need to be able to take off for the summer. My ex brother-in-law wants to go in with me on a piece of land in Idaho this summer, and there is no place for me to grow right now up there, so I must go there and put it together so I can have both a summer grow up North and a winter grow here on the boat. That is my goal. Eventually I'll have a vehicle and a place to do my thing up there and will be able to just fly back and forth in the Spring and Fall. That's the goal anyway.

Today, I'm going to transplant the last Satori into a 1 gal pot, do some feeding and think about collecting pollen. I have a lot to think about....

I'm loving this winter, and I am learning so much -- Growing weed seems to have filled up most of the blank spaces in my life -- it's a Hell of a hobbie :)

Peace

Glad youre enjoying it Hemperfi and you are doing thing the right way so just have to look forard to cloning from the remaining females and labelling up.
A quick question for Rockster the 3-4 male cheeses will they make different cheese related crosses due to them possibly being different phenos of da cheese.
T4

Yeah, and a harvest and cure, and the Satori -- the seeds, and a hole in the side of the boat :) I'm crusin bro...

HF

Thank you PP, I went and picked up the vent and lined up a guy to cut the hole in the boat -- I'm hoping that venting the hot air out of the boat will make it possible to turn off the airconditioner when the lights are on in the tent.

Peace

Welcome along duck, they are finally beginning to flower. The clones look good -- the Satori is growing nicely -- everything is sailing..

I'll update pics in the morning.

Peace

Latest posts

Back