First Grow got wind burn!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just watered them yesterday, so I prepared a foliar mix of FF Grow Big. 1/4 teaspon in a half gallon of water. THen I poured in a spray bottle and diluted a little bit more. Sprayed the leaves of all the plants. Next watering they'll get the 1/4 teaspoon per half gallon mix.

since my P came up sufficient, should I be worried about adding Grow Big, since it has 6 4 4?

rapid test soil test kit it has separate tests for Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosophorus as well as PH. You don't trust it? Have you used them?

Does anyone have any idea how long I'll be veging for? I know Sativa's are supposed to get tall and I htink Jock Horror is mostly sativa. I'm going to LST the ladies. I think my envrionment is dialed in now, so how long in ideal conditions do you guys think it will take Jock horror to be at sexual maturity?

wait for preflowers, its amazing new soil is nutrientless.. thats all

No real time constraint on flowering. For a taller sativa I would induce flowering a little early to control how tall she will get.

Some flower 12/12 right from seedling. I wait 7-8 weeks in veg. I like em a good 18" or so. Then I start LST. Usually takes that long for me to get a good bush going.

How's the Foliar feeding working? I want to start that on 1 or 2 of my plants to see how they fair.

Thanks for the tips, Dank. I understand I should wait fro pre-flower, I just was wondering how long 'til that usually happens.

Unsleep, you don't start LST 'til they're 18" tall? And you start LST durring flower? In you grow area, 7-8 weeks gets you 18" tall? With Jock?

I thought I'd start LST'ing them almost right away, during veg, like at 8-10 inches. I don't have lots of heaght in my box and Jock is supposed to get tall, so I wanted to keep her as short as possible. Especially since I plan on growing with CFL's the whole way and it seems the problem with flowering CFL is penetration through the canopy.

WIll starting LST that soon cause any problems, in your experience.

As for the foliar feed, I've only done it once. Didn't really notice any major change yet today. I'll let you know how it goes over the coming weeks. I probably won't foliar feed them again for at least a week, just to be on the safe side. Actually, they'll probably require a watering before I decide to foliar feed them again, at which point they'll get a light dose of FF Grow Big in the water. So, it will be tought to say. Sorry. Still I'll document my progress here so everyone can see and learn from my mistakes. :D

So it sounds like I can expect to start seeing signs of pre-flower by around 8 weeks or so. I think I read jock flowers for about 9 weeks. So that means i won't be getting my first taste until end of January. Oh well. Maybe I'll force flower a little eariier. We'll see how they grow.

THANKs for checking in, guys, and please keep wathing!

You can start LSt any time you want. I've only been growing one grow so far, but i let them grow up a little first, then started tying around the circumfrence of my pots. I could of started later or sooner. Probly easier doing it when the plants are younger and the stems should be more flexible. I cracked one of my main stems once, but it worked out ok with a little splint i made.

LST is about the only thing you can do during flower. It was fun, but I'm growing bushier strains this 2nd grow, so I'll probly just let them grow on their own. LST was fun tho, and I don't see any disadvantages to it really.

I used a spool of 14guage wire, but I noticed it cut into the stems a little over time. Pipe cleaners are probly better, but I used what I had at the time. I removed alot of the wire on most plants, since it's formed the shapes i wanted as I tossed them into my flower room.

Reason I asked about foliar feeding is I got a free sample of some "Bushmater" and I wanted to try it out. It says to apply during flowering, but I dunno. I'll have to find out more about this product.

I'd really like to try out some Jock tho. I prefer Sativa buzzes, and I've been eyeballing several "haze" strains and crosses for the future grows.

Yea, flowering takes so damn long! My 1st grow will be ready about X-mas! Present to myself =)

Play around with LST a little. You'll like it =)

Here's the latest my friends -

It seems to have been a combination of many things.

My inital plant definitley was heat stressed and translplanted too early. After testing the soil, it did show a nitrogen deficiencey. Odd because it's new Fox Farms soil. Maybe the dry conditions caused it to use a lot? The humidty level in my box was way to low. I don't have a hygrometer. I know I should get one, but I was following my own sense of things. The reason my box was so dry was because I had too many fans. The ehaust fan was working great, but I had other high CFM fans (2) just blowing on the plants. THat dried the room out because the air was just being blown around. THe heat would rise and eventually get drawn out of the top, and the air would cool off, because I had a large (relatively large, computer case fan) fan at the bottom of the box pointing up. The leaves were getting crispy not because they were't getting enough water from the root, but becaues they were drying out from the dry conditions. I pulled the fans and have only the ehaust fan (110 CFM) and a small intake fan (30CFM). I also placed several cups of water in the corners of the box to add moisture to the air. I'll be able to control moisture that way. If it's too moist, remove the cups. Still to moist, add a fan. Right now it feels almost tropical in there (83.7) degrees. I know that's a little hot so I want to try to cool it off a bit.

Here' my question - Will I increase my exhaust CFM best if I line two fans, one in front of the other, at the exhaust point, or is it better to have them sit side by side into the wider shaft then the exhaust point? My instinct says side by side, as having them lined up one in front of the other will actually create a bottle neck, right? THe one in front will actually stop the air from the one behind it from flowing easily. Right?

Thought anyone?

Anyway, I'm going to start nutes at very dilute amounts, every other watering. I'll increase to every watering after about 4 waterings. Then I'll up the dosage. etc.

New pictures will come this week. The younger seedlings are having some nice growth. Nice tight nodes, but the leaves are so tiny. HOpefully with the humidty changes, that will improve.

Seems the consensus i for side by side on the fans, if you're interested.

Well here they are then, Dank! :D

They smaller plant has some browning on the leaves. I'm thinking that is due to overwatering. I haven't watered them for 2 days and the soil still feels pretty wet. I'll check 'em out tonight before bed and see how they look.

The OG plant doesn't look like it's going to make it. ALl it's leves are turning brown and the stem is brown. I'm not going to do anything to it except water it when the soil is dry. Hopefully it wil lmake it. If not, oh well. Lessons learned. If he dies, I'll transplant the two in the nursery flat in to each of the two buckets I have. The larger of the two new seedlings has roots starting to come through the bottom of the flat so that one will need to transplant soon.

These two sprouted on Oct 17th. So they're about 2 weeks old.

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

i went out and got a hygrometer. My box has a RH of only 30!. It must have been bone dry in there when the fans were all going. GRRR!!!

Anyway, now I have on week (before the critical 3rd week of veg) for my remaining plants to get into the proper humidity. I'm experimentiing with some homemade humidifiers right now. Hopefully I can get this figured out by tomorrow. I may just head over to Target and pick up a small humidifier. My grow box isn't very large, so I hope I won't have to take up space for a humidifier.

Maybe one of those pet ones with a tube that goes into the box...

I sprout mine in a 16 oz. cup...8 oz at least. I found that those tiny starter cups are hard to keep "right". 16 oz. I can tell by weight if its ready and it takes 2-3 days. Those lil cups they dry out too fast.
My R/H is about 28%....

Thanks for the tips, Mutt. I've got 5 more Jock seeds that I was waiting to plant after I finished this grow. Work out all the kinks first, ya know. I'll try that next.

I made a ghetto humidifier.

Small 30 CFM fan that I had laying around on top of a plastic cup half full with water and towels above the water line. I cut some holes on the side of the cup above the water line and pointed the fan down into the cup. The air coming through the holes is mosit enough and has brought my RH up to abou 40%. I'll probably have to refill once or twice a day, but it is helping. I also backed the lights away from the seedlings a bit. I'm at 78degrees at the seedling sight and am gettting closer to 50% humidity.

my r/h is up around 35-40 i've got a box fan on mine, also i start mine in a 4'' square pot. standard greenhouse style.
100_19841.JPG

these pots are small enough for the plants roots to still go seeking, but they also retain moisture quite well, next time i suggest you use similar, those little plugg packs are very small and need watering daily :D, specially outdoor.

Well things are going down hill still..

My soil is Nitrogen deficient. I don't understand why. Anyway, my very healthy looking babies are not so healthy looking anymore. I bought a small reptile humidifier and have that and my ghetto humidifier both running. I know have 50% realtve humidity in the grow box. Temps below 81 degrees. I added some Grow Big (6 4 4) 1/4 strength. I'm concerend because my soil tests also indicates a surplus of phosphorus. Should I buy a sepearate bottle of Nitrogen to balance things out a bit? I also transplanted into 2.5 gallon buckets.

The OG plant is actually still alive. I'm hoping whith the humidity it will turn around now. It's been so badly stressed, even if it survives, I bet it will be male or hermie. Still, I want to give it a whilrl and see fi I can save it.

Pictures to come tomorrow.

Should I be concerned that my soil test shows a surplus of phosphorus?

lol sounds like you need to add drastic measure for nitrogen, pee on them.

not full strength?!

I'm up for that, but how dilute?

Latest posts

Back