first time from seed and confussed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullcandy

Reaction score
Hello everyone I put six seeds in soil In some 16 oz cups, I ued ph balenced uni-gro potting soil in a bucket added water with ph of 6.5 mixed it it was moist not wet or muddy then into cups I then put one seed in around 1/4 1/2 inch in then cover by push some soil from the sides over the hole I got them around 30 inches away from a veg LED light, two days ago. the tent theree in is an even 80 degrees and the light is running 24/7 my question is should the light be closer to the cups and how long should I wait for them to sprout before I give up or try another method of germination. I can't stop thinking that I have already ruined them . oh I also dipped my fingers in ph balenced water then let the run off drip right on top of the seed to make sure it was saturated before I put them under the light. guessing about 1/4 an oz of water .

I am not familiar with that soil. You don't want anything that comes prenuted.

Seeds do not need any light at all until they sprout. When I plant seeds, I generally start them in something small like a rapid rooter and use a humidity dome so that I can control the moisture level better. I remove the dome and put them under the T5 as soon as they pop up. It is going to take them longer than 2 days to sprout. I would try and moisten the soil around the seedling and let the surrounding medium wick the moisture. I water with a fine sprayer when I plant seeds in a soil medium until they sprout and them I water from the bottom, however, I do not start with 16 oz cups.

I would not be worried--it can take a week or more for them to poke their heads through the soil. Keep it warm and moist and they should be fine.

I had no Idea that seeds could sprout with out light I will have to look into the dome thing as for the rooter plugs is there any spacific brand name or do they all work

skullcandy said:
I had no Idea that seeds could sprout with out light I will have to look into the dome thing as for the rooter plugs is there any spacific brand name or do they all work

I generally order Rapid Rooters, but I am guessing that they are all pretty much the same.

I generally just use a plastic container of some kind that has a lid (rubbermaid, tupperware, etc)and use it turned upside down. The plants go in the lid, the container is the dome. I can usually find something that is the right size for the amount of seeds I want to sprout.

4-10-13 008-1.jpg

4-10-13 009-1.jpg

well look like mom has this under control . she gives good advice !

Thanks. Germination can be scary--you never really know what is going on there in the medium. Although seeds can sprout little tails in 12 hours or so when you put them in paper towels or water, it takes longer for them to pop their shells and get through the soil. Most of mine come up within 5-7 days. If the seed pods do not come off, we can help you with that--you have to be gentle with them.

THG I took your advice and went out to get something simular to what the picture says, I placed my cups in the dome and I can't believe it but from morning till I took anouther look a few minutes ago I have three seeds poking through I also placed my light 16 inches from the cups. I do have anouther question two of the strouts look light green one of the looks beige in color could that be the light to close ? it they are all sticking up around a half inch each has one little leaf and anouther starting from what I can see.

I would think that they are too young to be bleached from the light. Keep an eye on them, but I wouldn't be worried. Sometimes the sprouts are a fairly light color.

The first leaves will be small rounded leaves. After that you will start to get "true leaves" with the serated edges we are familiar with. The branches will also grow directly apart from each other while vegging. When they get sexually mature, the branches generally start alternating. Are these fem seeds or are you going to have to sex them?

Personally, I find just putting the seed into a glass or shotglass of water the easiest. You can look at it and see when its ready to be planted.

more interaction with the seed that way though so more chances to damage root hairs and all that jazz.

Bogart Mc Thunderdunk said:
more interaction with the seed that way though so more chances to damage root hairs and all that jazz.

I agree. I generally only put older seeds in water/paper towels. The more times you handle them, the better your chances of damaging the root and introducing pathogens.

three of them are fem seeds the other three were a gift, those I will have to wait and see what sex they are. I also am wondering how long the sprouts need to be under the soft veg light.

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Personally, I find just putting the seed into a glass or shotglass of water the easiest. You can look at it and see when its ready to be planted.

thant sounds more difficult to me, so I am just going to have to put a seed or two in some water to see if I can tell the difference .

I was wondering if you could start a seed in Rockwool?

How big are your little seedlings? Mine are always under the T5--I just have a dome on them until they sprout. I have 13 little seedlings. There are nice roots showing out the bottom of the cube. I think that I am going to plant some of these in soil and run some hydro. I will have to decide soon as they are going to want to be transplanted soon.

Yes, you can start seeds in rockwool, but it should be soaked in a water solution pH'd to about 5.5 before you plant.

There is nothing more beautiful than life starting to sprout. Thanks for the Rockwool tip. linzwa

skullcandy said:
this is them they are six days old

They are looking good. However are those clear cups? If so, you don't want that--you want cups that are opaque and do not let light through.

Latest posts

Back