First Time Grower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrdrinknsmoke

Reaction score
Hello. First off, I love this site! After reading the site I decided to try my luck. I did'nt know it was so easy. I'm 5 days into my grow and I think im in love with my plants. Thanks to every one on this site I feel that I'll be an expert in no time. Also have a few questions. Although I'm hoping for all female plants! What to do with the male ones? Can they be smoked? Please excuse my ignorance but i'm a first timer. Here's a pic of my plants 5 days since planted.
What do you guys think? Comments Welcome?

22.JPG

24.JPG

26.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

Nothing!! you throw the boys away..... Tell us some moor specs about your grow... What kind of light are you using and what type soil and whats your plan for them?

First off, I've been collecting seeds for a while. I was just about to throw away a little bag with about 300 seeds in it. When I decided to myself that it would be really nice to try some home grown. Been hearing that the taste is awesome and very different. So, I started research to see if it can be done. Came across this site. Then my mind was made up. I also decided to do it totally free. Hidden in my room.
Started looking around all my families houses. I found Plastic cups at my aunt's house. Then I found two types of soil thanks to my green thumb mom in her garage. I then went over to my girlfriends house to find light. The light had to be very small and bright. So I took her desk lamp which is perfect for my ''Hidden'' grow space. ( SEE PICTURES )
The problem is that I'm really starting to love these plants. But I love smoking more.
My plan is to grow my own forever if all goes well.

My Setup...

Seeds----nothing special collected for long time.

Cups ----took from aunt's house.

Soil ----Miracle - Gro Potting Mix mixed with Scotts Potting Soil with phosphorus. Could'nt make up my mind used them both.

Light----Bright *** Reading lamp 20 watts.

Box ----To hide my grow space.

( SEE PICTURES ) Any and all comments welcome. Thanks for reading my story.

seeds.JPG

cups5.JPG

soil.JPG

light3.JPG

hidden.JPG

hidden4.JPG

hidden7.JPG

don't rush it it will come natural, my first time too. my plants been coming along jus fine and i use m/g too...

:welcome: Hi....Mr DSmoke:ccc: verry nice pics and or baby's
Look nice Welcome to MP it A nice site....see you Mr DSmoke:ccc:

Welcome and good luck with everything. I would lower the light a lot, you are getting stretchy plants, maybe 2 to 3 inches away, it's a floro right? You have holes in the cups for drainage?

Thanks for the suggestion snuggles. Stretchy plants are bad? Dont want the light too close to burn them. The light I have has a small bulb in it. It's 20 watts. I chose it because it gives off a really bright light and it fits perfectly in my hidden grow space. (SEE PICTURES)
Is this a bad lamp?
Any suggestions? Thanks.

hello and welcome to mp
glad to see you starting your first grow :peace:
light wise u need at least 3000 lumens per square ft of your growspace so you might need to add some cfls which are good for a small closet space as they dont get to hot and there cheap and you will be able to keep your plant very close about 1 inch away so this will stop the stretching
i hope this helps:tokie:

Mrdrinknsmoke said:
Thanks for the suggestion snuggles. Stretchy plants are bad?

The plants are stretching due to its looking for a stronger light source. So by it stretching , it gets closer to the light. The more the plant stretches, the longer the stalk will be. So in turn will out grow your grow space.

See if you can get some CFLs like Melissa said, they will do you better.

Hi everyone, im also a first time grower (dont mean to hijack the thread).

I was wondering, how can you tell if the plant is a male or a female before it gets to big?

Ive been trying to grow my own for about a week now, and im having no luck. Im using a horrible light though...its a flashlight, the ones that use the big rectangular batteries. Its pretty bright, and has a little heat. But Its not hot enough that it would burn the plant (if one would ever grow).

Im going to try finding a better source of light, and getting some more seeds...maybe it will work out.:D

Mrdrinknsmoke said:
Thanks for the suggestion snuggles. Stretchy plants are bad? Dont want the light too close to burn them. The light I have has a small bulb in it. It's 20 watts. I chose it because it gives off a really bright light and it fits perfectly in my hidden grow space. (SEE PICTURES)
Is this a bad lamp?
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi Mrdrinknsmoke,

I admire your enthusiasm. Good luck with your grow. As for your lights, the folks here are correct. That reading lamp seems bright to you or me, but is most likely not putting out light of the correct spectrum for the plants to thrive. It looks like the reading lamp I use, which has a halogen bulb. Lots of heat, but not enough light of the right spectrum (color) for the plants. A CFL (compact florescent light) would be much better and can be put very close to the plant without burning it.
Also, and this is Very Important, it looks like you have a cardboard box over your grow setup. This is bad for two reasons. A) It’s a fire hazard and your risking your life and property with a setup like that. B) Your plants wont be getting any fresh air under there. Without fresh air they wont thrive.

Hope this helps,
Zepplin:D

Thanks Zepplin. I've aquired a new light source. I think it will provide the needed light. I've also done away with the cardboard box. I'll post pics very soon.
Thanks again.

ispep said:
Ive been trying to grow my own for about a week now, and im having no luck. Im using a horrible light though...its a flashlight, the ones that use the big rectangular batteries.

I have heard everthing now :hitchair:

Dear ispep, With all due respect.......How do you expect to grow something beautiful under such horrible conditions? Would you grow? Also, My thread is taken very serious and in the future...Please, Give all of us the same respect here.
P. S. There is tons of info on this site...Please do more research before making such an endeavor.
No disrespect intended....Thanks.

MrDrink,
You might get you a small fan to put in the box to get some aeration for your plants.A light breeze will be like aerobics for them.
See if your aunt has an old dryer hose-you know the one that goes outside?
Don't take the one she has hooked up-or your name will be mud!!!!
You could rig it up right by the fan in your window.
You would'nt have to run it all the time either just once a day for a couple hours.
good luck.
Gb

Thanks Geezer. I got a small fan. How long should I keep it on them? They're doing great though just kinda long stemmed.

Mrdrinknsmoke said:
Thanks Geezer. I got a small fan. How long should I keep it on them? They're doing great though just kinda long stemmed.
In order to develop properly, you need constant fresh recirculating air. A slight movement of the leaves, is all that is necessary to build strong thick stems.

Latest posts

Back