Growing Problems past the seedling stage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't think it was going to be so complicated. We have a hot tub so the Ph discussion has come up. I was surprised that bottled spring water and my tap water were both over 8. I did a panic Google search and saw a hack for lemon juice to bring the number down. The yellow spotting stopped for now. My immediate problem is transplanting. I moved 2 into the plastic 1 gallon bags. Didn't touch the roots and left the soil "fluffy". Will move a couple tomorrow. There are 7. When do I worry about whether they are male or female? Happy Growing. 🌱 🙃

From the looks of them you should be able to tell in the next couple weeks.
If you do have males you will want to get them out of there before the pollen sacks open up.
Definitely get yourself some ph up and down.
I use general hydroponics brand.
I bought a gallon of each and am about 1/2 way through them after almost a year.
You do not need much!
I like the stability of the ph up and down.
Once you get your water and measurements down it is very easy to ph to the levels you want.
I run 6.5 ph in soil.

I would transplant straight into the bigger bags and skip the 1 gallons. Is your plan is to end up in the bigger ones anyway? You will start worrying about the male / female thing soon. Based on the height inside of your tent. I used to have a general rule that it was OK to flip after the 6th internode on the main stem. If you were going to stress train them, top them for additional bud sites or try some sort of semi scrog now is the time I would start planning for that. You seem to be dialing everything in. Maybe finish your transplanting and run the whole thing for 5 days to a week to get the kinks out and switch over to 12/12. You can veg for as long as you like but my opinion is you are close enough. I've had lots of coffee and PH's this morning. I will re-read everything over here and I am still learning too. I think I learn something new here almost every day.

I went ahead and transplanted 5 of the younger plants. The cups were pretty much all roots so probably a big push of growth. The big grow bags are on the way for the other 2. Believe it or not the 2 plants still in modified Solo cups are the 2 y'all saved when you taught me about drowning them etc... They are actually 9 or 10 weeks old. They were stunted and didn't grow for a long time. Then I followed advice and off they went. I am also limited by space. My tent is 30" X 30" and I don't have room for another one. Pretty cool though. Ok, all were transplanted into new Fox Farm Ocean stuff so they still shouldn't need to be fed, right? I will mix up some 6.5 Ph water to have ready. Watch and try not to murder them. I'm so excited.... 🌱 🙃

Attachments

• 021722 transplant.jpg
    021722 transplant.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 15
Not sure if this helps, but since I'm not good at watering since I tend to over water. I'm currently getting an octopot. It removes the guess work in watering and makes things easier and there are diy solutions to get the same thing. Just something to consider since then you don't have to keep such a close eye on things.

Also I just found veg + bloom which is for marijuana plants, it's dry so smaller to store and affordable. It should have enough cal mag in it but I have extra anyways since I've been using miracle grow (not recommended as my plants needed cal-mag).

There is no sign of any transplant shock. Every plant has taken off. I am at the point of sexing them. I cannot do this at all. I can't see - I'm old and the eyes just don't do it anymore. I also can't look through binoculars or telescopes. I bought a digital microscope so I could look for the signs to tell boys from girls and to watch the buds mature. Ut's supposed to send the feed to my iPhone but that won't happen. It's stupid. I tried to get it to Wi-Fi to my phone but it wants my phone to not be on another Wi-Fi network . Technical crap is beyond me. What do you all use? Is there something standalone that I can maneuver in the plants?

Attachments

• 022122 growth.jpg
    022122 growth.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 022122 growth1.jpg
    022122 growth1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 022122 growth2.jpg
    022122 growth2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 7
Oh yea.... Would it be better to just pay the $12/plant to have them sexed? Then I would know for sure and I can deal with the buds later. Where do you all send your samples to whether for sexing or potency?
Thanks all..... 🌱 ;)

There is no sign of any transplant shock. Every plant has taken off. I am at the point of sexing them. I cannot do this at all. I can't see - I'm old and the eyes just don't do it anymore. I also can't look through binoculars or telescopes. I bought a digital microscope so I could look for the signs to tell boys from girls and to watch the buds mature. Ut's supposed to send the feed to my iPhone but that won't happen. It's stupid. I tried to get it to Wi-Fi to my phone but it wants my phone to not be on another Wi-Fi network . Technical crap is beyond me. What do you all use? Is there something standalone that I can maneuver in the plants?
Don’t stress it will be apparent eventually!

These are a little farther along than yours but here is female pistils.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 14
Your right.... It's really obvious what to look for - Where am I looking on the plant? It's (they are) all starting to branch out. And they love, love their new "digs" .....LOL, I crack me up....
Look at branch points at the base on stems for early signs.
From your pics I am guessing you still have a couple week’s before you will know for sure!
But you’re kicking ass!
Keep it up

Wow your plants look so healthy!!! Good work!!

I got feminized seeds since I can't really see up close either. Maybe something to consider since it's probably around the same price anyways after you throw out the males and if you don't catch it, then it's 100% wasted.

Wow your plants look so healthy!!! Good work!!

I got feminized seeds since I can't really see up close either. Maybe something to consider since it's probably around the same price anyways after you throw out the males and if you don't catch it, then it's 100% wasted.
I killed off all the feminized and auto-flowering seeds/seedlings I paid $$$ for. I was murdering them faster than I could start another batch. I found another seed company who had better prices buts that's probably because he did not have a big selection of feminized or auto-flowering. More actually sprouted; even the seeds looked healthier.
They do look amazing actually. So, we are planning a trip in our RV and can't take the tent with us. 😏 I just hope I got them all started in time for veg/bud/harvest/cure...
As they are starting to branch out I can see I need to figure out plant supports at some point. I guess after we determine how many I actually have for harvest. I think the two old plants are good in the 3 gallon bags and hope they are girls. I'm going to be sad to pull up the boys. Does anyone harvest the boys and process the leaves and stuff for making edibles?
Have a great day all.... 🌱 🙃

Latest posts

Back