HemperFi's Second Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This remains one of my favorite journals no matter what the title. :)
I only use HPS but that was for simplicity.
I started with a used 1000W setup- from babies - to keep tent warm enough to keep them alive.
Then added a slick 600W hps dimmable digital ballast to the mix.
Then when I did the veggie area I got another 600W - with magnetic ballast. (cost savings)
That one went in the tent and the digital now runs the veggie area. Dimmed currently to the lowest strength (60%). I'll turn it to 80% when they get a bit bigger. This can also flip to a flowering room if necessary so I have options. My plants seem really bushy.
Not sure if that helps- simply thought I would chime in.

Is the choice two HPS bulbs in flowering if you don't do one of each?

HemperFi said:
Goddess, you always make so much sense. I will give it a try and let you know what I think (for what that's worth). I will rotate the plants a quarter turn every day. And 12/12 it will be :) I'm not thinking so much about a bigger yeald, but I am thinking about more trichs and better pot. It's worth a try....

Listen, I didn't realize I was naming my journal when I typed in "No longer babies." Could you change that for me? Something like "HemperFi's Second Season" would be more appropriate, don't ya think?

Peace

I was thinking more of actually switching the plant's place within the tent so that they are under the HPS as much as they are under the MH. I don't know how often you feed, but maybe something like move them when you feed them.

More trichs/better pot is like getting a better yield.

Looks like Hick just barely beat me to it. I went back to change it and it was changed. HemperFi's Second Season it is.

Much better idea, moving the plants instead of just turning them -- that's what I'll do :)

Thanks, Hick, I truly appreciate it :)

Peace

Is that how you spell it? I picked up some today. My little mom and pop hydro store just keep getting better and better. He talked me out of Co2 today even though he would have made mad money out of me if I had, and told me he would match online prices for anything I needed. I showed him a pic of my plants, and he told me I was over watering -- the heavy ridges in the leaves is what tipped him off. Potscientist told me it was PH, but I PH everything that goes on my ladies, so it probably IS over watering. I shall adjust....

100_1270.JPG

Budders Keeper said:
I used a 400 of each on some Mango. I definately noticed a difference in trich's compared to a run with only hps

what did you notice? more trichs, or did the heads swell up bigger, or . . . what about any difference in finishing?

tastyness said:
This remains one of my favorite journals no matter what the title. :)
I only use HPS but that was for simplicity.
I started with a used 1000W setup- from babies - to keep tent warm enough to keep them alive.
Then added a slick 600W hps dimmable digital ballast to the mix.
Then when I did the veggie area I got another 600W - with magnetic ballast. (cost savings)
That one went in the tent and the digital now runs the veggie area. Dimmed currently to the lowest strength (60%). I'll turn it to 80% when they get a bit bigger. This can also flip to a flowering room if necessary so I have options. My plants seem really bushy.
Not sure if that helps- simply thought I would chime in.

Is the choice two HPS bulbs in flowering if you don't do one of each?

Sorry, I didn't see this post before, Tasty. Thank you -- Seems like you do have a lot of options, and it is obvious you have a good idea what you are doing now. I expect great things from you. Sorry we haven't been able to get together lately as well. I guess because we live on opposite sides of the planet. :) You asked the other day how long I was going to leave my girls in the one gal. pots, and I WAS thinking until I flip them to 12/12, but I believe I will transplant them again before then -- when they get about 12 to 14 inches tall. I can always put some in the tent under a MH bulb if they won't fit in the vedge area. I want them to be nice big bushes when they finish (like yours). Perhaps we can talk tomorrow. If you have another book I'd like to get that as well. :)

Peace

Oh, yes, either two HPS or one HPS and one MH. I have a dimmable ballast in vedge as well. I really like not having a fixture right over the plants. I don't have to move the light every time I want to see my plants. Plus, I don't pay for electricity here on the boat, so saving on the electric bill isn't a concern. I will eventually be metered. I keep hearing a rumor of meters coming, but until then I won't worry about a high bill every month.

peace

Check this out -- can you see the difference just since yesterday? My little girls are growing pretty fast. The satori in the back are very happy and out growing everything else (genetics) They all look pretty good though -- I think :)

100_1271.JPG

When I first decided to go on this fantastic journey, I sat and read and read and read. At first I didn't have a clue what people were saying except the basics. Most of the stuff I read went right over my head, and there seemed to be many ways to do things -- it was overwhelming. Someone, I don't remember who, and I'm too lazy to go looking, posted to my "Epic Fail" journal saying I should pick a grow I liked and follow what they were doing. I picked NorCalHal. Everything the man writes makes sense, and he always has scientific proof for what he does -- that and experience. I knew I would never probably do things on such a grand scale as Hal does, but I have tried hard to do most of the things the way he goes about things. I'm still far from duplicating his success or even his style, but I'm getting closer. I am understanding things much better now and keep refining everything including my mind set. I really want to do Co2, but in my limited space and lack of climate control I don't think it is feasible at this time. Hal's grows keep getting better and better and grander and grander, and is still legendary in my mind, but I have come to a point where I feel I can begin to do things my way. Picking a grower I admired was some of the best advice I have gotten. It certainly did shorten the learning curve. I am still learning and will no doubt always be learning, but I am understanding a whole lot better now, and I am feeling a lot more confident. I will continue to read everything Hal posts because I know he is balanced on the cutting edge of what's going on in the world of cultivation, and because I just like his style. He isn't the only person in MP I have listened to. The Goddess will always be my mentor, but we were always on different pages in the past because she was into hydro and I was in dirt, She pounded the fundamentals into me over and over with relentless fortitude, and I truly appreciate her existence. I have learned from many people in this wonder forum, and basically I am just trying (in my rambling way) to say thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you -- you-all will never know how much you have added to my life.

Peace

I have an incredible amount of respect for NCH. I think that I am going to try and implement CO2 into my grows as soon as I can afford it (boy the prices of those controllers are a killer). I have read his CO2 thread several times and will be picking his brain when I get the moola together.

We do have a great group here with a lot of knowledge. Thanks to all who make it what it is!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to HemperFi again.

My little ladies were light as a feather this morning, so I gave them their first shot of GH3 nutes -- just "mild vedge." I hope they like it. They seem to be enjoying their new pots, and I beleive the little Moby **** is almost ready to transplant. I'll give em a Fimm on about the 6th node and then watch them. I'm hoping they will bush out well enough not to have to LST them. I'll put them in their 3 gal. pots soon after that and then flip them when they are big enough. I was worried about enough space in the vedge area for 7 3 gal. pots, but I can put some in the tent under 600w of MH, so no worries. I just love watching them grow -- very calming :) They will be three weeks from dry seeds on Friday.

Peace

Looking Good Hemper! I agree with you about it being more than just growing. I'm starting to feel more connected to how things grow. Next spring my vege garden is in for some fun, no more just plant, water and hope for me. The deer have always liked my vege garden, even without vegies grownin in it..

Green mojo!

Goddess, I saw them in Tasty's journal, read about it in a book, talked w/ my hydro guy and picked them up just so I can water without disturbing the top layer of soil when I water -- they were cheap -- he gave me a big bag for 5 bucks. Is there a reason for not putting them on top of the soil? besides, they look cool :)

Peace

Temps in the 70's, RH in the 40's, sitting about 8 inches from a 600w MH cooltube fixture, three weeks from dry seed. I believe they are showing remarkable growth. Take a look....

100_1270.JPG

I have found that throwing a handful of hydroton in the bottom of my pots so there is a layer of air pockets at the bottom to improve drainage. Just another use. i do it anyhow. :) BTW whay did you pay for your 'speedster'- they are 40$ where i live.

Looking thick, sturdy, and green. I'd vote for "remarkable".

I have a ton of potted plants of various sorts all over my backyard, I've been topping them off with my old h-ton for years. Now that they are all full I've started putting it in my garden boxes. This ain't on MJ but I've seen no ill effects at all.

Water soaks in much faster and I believe more evenly, as the full drip pans don't get absorbed til the following day. This compared to drip pan drying out in a couple hours after watering when there was no h-ton. But most of all, it looks so nice.

Smoke up......... BK

Sol, I don't remember what I paid for the speedster. I think it was 36 bucks. Nice to se you around.

The small one in front is about 6 days behind. (Moby ****) I finally scraped some dirt off her little head and she came right up :)

Peace.

Latest posts

Back