Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A social distancing technique for unruly kids while traveling this holiday season.

Thrill ride.jpg

Morning. The dead of winter here. I am having trouble keeping the heat where I want it in the grow. With all that bare cement the cold has permeated through the floor and walls in my basement. Can only get my flower room up to the low 70's with the lights on and low 60's at night. Will hurt my yields by about 25% for the next couple of months. Also have to veg longer. Happens every year. Things will return to normal in March.

More snow later today! Mountains need it but I don't. Getting sick of being cooped up. Our governor said no gatherings for Christmas......fock that! I am gonna go crazy.....winter and covid ..... great combination.

I need to get out and feed the critters! They are starting to look in the windows at me....

Morning. The dead of winter here. I am having trouble keeping the heat where I want it in the grow. With all that bare cement the cold has permeated through the floor and walls in my basement. Can only get my flower room up to the low 70's with the lights on and low 60's at night. Will hurt my yields by about 25% for the next couple of months. Also have to veg longer. Happens every year. Things will return to normal in March.

More snow later today! Mountains need it but I don't. Getting sick of being cooped up. Our governor said no gatherings for Christmas......fock that! I am gonna go crazy.....winter and covid ..... great combination.

I need to get out and feed the critters! They are starting to look in the windows at me....
I ran a small space heater on controller for such times, I also used insulated wall board (foam Type) to line room.
Light up that 1000watt HPS

Hello Guys.. Been lurking a few months.. I'm building room in basement. I put 11/2 foam board on the walls (cement) then framed 2x4 with r13. Will still have concrete floor. Hopefully I can keep temps where I want year round. It gets from 90sF to -10 or so.

I can give you an old trick we useta use when the coal ran out:

Cover all the bare cement with blankets. Thicker = Better. You can get a bunch of them cheap all over, and they will have other uses later. (eg: To put around the freezer/fridge during a power outage.)

Thanks for the input guys.

Welcome BeeKeeper. Good you decided to jump in.

First off a bit about my room. It is a 2300sq ft basement. It is totally unfinished except a 500sq ft man cave. It would be quite an undertaking to insulate the walls. I have 3 tents in the middle of the room. Flower, veg and dry/cure. The floor isn't that cold and I do have a layer of light insulation down. I don't want to go to two 1,000w hps because of the electroal modifications needed, plus then I would have a real heat problem in the summer. I could use a space heater but would probably be just as energy efficient to turn up the furnace. One last thing is I have the fresh air vent coming into the basement. No way would Mrs Pute all me to bring cold air in on the main floor. I do run the fresh air 20 foot into the room using ducting before releasing it to the room. It warms up to 50f by then. 74f in flower right now. I can live with that.

Had a nice walk today. Bit chilly but necessary to get out for some fresh air. Lake is starting to ice over. The walking will be a whole new look with ice on the lake. No more boats, fishermen or skiers. Just Ice......

Friend just stopped by.....gotta go......

Nothing says you can't lay a few 4x8 sheets of Styrofoam on the floor, too. When I built my Hog barn (the two wheeled kind), I even put down three inches of styrofoam on the sand before I poured four inches of concrete floor. You'd be surprised on how cheap the shed was to heat.

Morning. The dead of winter here. I am having trouble keeping the heat where I want it in the grow. With all that bare cement the cold has permeated through the floor and walls in my basement. Can only get my flower room up to the low 70's with the lights on and low 60's at night. Will hurt my yields by about 25% for the next couple of months.

Depending on its density, concrete has a K value of from 0.4 to 1.8 btu's per square foot per, per hour, per degree delta F. If you multiply the total square feet of your walls and floor X 1.8, it will give you your btu tranfer rate per degree difference between ground temperature and desired basement temperature.

For instance if the subterranean soil temperature is 50F and you want your room at 78F, you need to make up K-1.8 X (78F - 50F) =50.4 btu per hour/ft2

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html
Infra red Catalytic propane heaters are a good way to add heat without overloading your electric system or adding CO.

As has been noted, you can also insulate the walls and reduce the heat loss. A K-value of 1.8 would give us an insulation R value of R-0.56 btu/hr/ft2/in T/ F.

An 4" thick R-16 glass board on the walls would increase that to R-16.56, which translates to a K value of 0.060, so you would need about K-0.060 X (78F - 50F) = 1.68 btu per hour/ft2.

Goooode mawning brothers and sisters!

What a lovely new 43F @ 82% RH rainy day in paradise, predicted to reach a sweltering 49F, cooled somewhat by our gentle 9 mph vagrant breezes.

Less progress that I hoped after I had to re-pull one of my wire runs that I miss measured and it ended up about three inches short. (9) #12 wires about 26' long requiring four different pulls.

I finished wiring the main panel and the upstairs junction box where the conduit converts to Romex cables for the four outlets, and have those cables pulled, but ran out of inspiration before connecting the outlets.

Ostensibly a slam dunk today and I can move on to installing new baseboards and trim to cover the wire run and be ready for the painters.

I still have the new bathroom vanity to pick out and install, but all the tedious stuff is done.

1608036479859.png

Depending on its density, concrete has a K value of from 0.4 to 1.8 btu's per square foot per, per hour, per degree delta F. If you multiply the total square feet of your walls and floor X 1.8, it will give you your btu tranfer rate per degree difference between ground temperature and desired basement temperature.

For instance if the subterranean soil temperature is 50F and you want your room at 78F, you need to make up K-1.8 X (78F - 50F) =50.4 btu per hour/ft2

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html
Infra red Catalytic propane heaters are a good way to add heat without overloading your electric system or adding CO.

As has been noted, you can also insulate the walls and reduce the heat loss. A K-value of 1.8 would give us an insulation R value of R-0.56 btu/hr/ft2/in T/ F.

An 4" thick R-16 glass board on the walls would increase that to R-16.56, which translates to a K value of 0.060, so you would need about K-0.060 X (78F - 50F) = 1.68 btu per hour/ft2.

Dang, TOG... You be a fargin scientist. PUTEMBK, you lissen to Da Man! Them numbers tell a real tale.

my cement floors in the garage are cold and the plants do not like it

a good way to heat up concrete floors is body heat...that’s right , hot bodies laying on concrete raise the btu by 47.189/ft2 per hour...

so during the winter I usually have at least a dozen volunteers on call 24/7 to come lay on my concrete floors and warm them up...

a few examples

30272D78-691D-437D-A423-05255F114A90.jpeg
E5AE9C7D-6681-489D-B32A-D7CB9C2D4A11.jpeg
CD74C6A1-1C46-4D33-9C7C-C2B2E4ADAC3B.jpeg
96AF816A-9BB5-4347-AC7E-A1ABE95E6743.jpeg

Thanks for the input guys.

Welcome BeeKeeper. Good you decided to jump in.

First off a bit about my room. It is a 2300sq ft basement. It is totally unfinished except a 500sq ft man cave. It would be quite an undertaking to insulate the walls. I have 3 tents in the middle of the room. Flower, veg and dry/cure. The floor isn't that cold and I do have a layer of light insulation down. I don't want to go to two 1,000w hps because of the electroal modifications needed, plus then I would have a real heat problem in the summer. I could use a space heater but would probably be just as energy efficient to turn up the furnace. One last thing is I have the fresh air vent coming into the basement. No way would Mrs Pute all me to bring cold air in on the main floor. I do run the fresh air 20 foot into the room using ducting before releasing it to the room. It warms up to 50f by then. 74f in flower right now. I can live with that.

Had a nice walk today. Bit chilly but necessary to get out for some fresh air. Lake is starting to ice over. The walking will be a whole new look with ice on the lake. No more boats, fishermen or skiers. Just Ice......

Friend just stopped by.....gotta go......

Awright, now that I have a better mental picture, I have a simpler answer using the same concept (but easier than) blankets.

You do not have to insulate the walls. Just hang plain sheets down away from the walls and near (or even around) the plants. Still air stays warmer.

Sorta create ephemeral "rooms" of hanging sheets.

Cheap, and tested by time.

View attachment 267063

Dang, TOG... You be a fargin scientist. PUTEMBK, you lissen to Da Man! Them numbers tell a real tale.

Shithead.jpg

my cement floors in the garage are cold and the plants do not like it a good way to heat up concrete floors is body heat...that’s right , hot bodies laying on concrete raise the btu by 47.189/ft2 per hour... so during the winter I usually have at least a dozen volunteers on call 24/7 to come lay on my concrete floors and warm them up... a few examples

View attachment 267064View attachment 267065View attachment 267066View attachment 267067

More after party pictures from the blast at the zoo:

Attachments

• Elephant.jpg
    Elephant.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Homo errectus.jpg
    Homo errectus.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Black bear.jpg
    Black bear.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Cinnamon bear.jpg
    Cinnamon bear.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Lynx.jpg
    Lynx.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Owl.jpg
    Owl.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 2
  • Polar bear 2.jpg
    Polar bear 2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Pug and Lemur.jpg
    Pug and Lemur.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Snow monkey.jpg
    Snow monkey.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2
Morning...wake up!!! More snow overnight. Thinking I will have to fire up the snow blower for this one.

Thanks for all the advise on heating my basement. After much consideration on cost, amount of work involved and the final results I have decided to use Big's technique. Sorry GW, Walt, Hippie and others but Big had by far the most logical and effective idea.

group-of-teenage-boys-who-have-passed-out-on-the-ground-surrounded-B5E7X9.jpg

Both the temp and humidity are on their way up.

Morning...wake up!!! More snow overnight. Thinking I will have to fire up the snow blower for this one.

Thanks for all the advise on heating my basement. After much consideration on cost, amount of work involved and the final results I have decided to use Big's technique. Sorry GW, Walt, Hippie and others but Big had by far the most logical and effective idea.

group-of-teenage-boys-who-have-passed-out-on-the-ground-surrounded-B5E7X9.jpg

Both the temp and humidity are on their way up.
They are the same to grow into this new smoking device
giphy.gif

Latest posts

Back