New Grower Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hushpuppy said:
To answer your question here; I will be running a 2 fan system in my new room. One that is dedicated to the lights and one that will bring fresh air into the room and exaust it. The difference is that my new room is very big(14'x8'), and it will have 6 HPS lights in it. In a smaller room you can do it all with the one fan and just pull the air through the light. Technically the hydro guy is correct but it is a matter of the volume of your grow rooms. As THG said, you can do the single fan setup and see how it works for ya, and if it doesn't keep it cool enough you can add another fan and dedicate the one system to just the light. I suspect you won't have too though. :)

Excellent/ helpful response Hushpuppy. If I was to try to sum up the responses here on this topic it would be that you can't go wrong with a two fan system, but a one fan system may be perfectly adequate, unless you're dealing with a large grow space, then all bets are off.

There's no point in wasting money on equipment I may not need, as well as power consumption, so I'll defintely see how the one fan solution works out for me, and if it doesn't work out then I'll know that I'm not wasting money having two fans. Thanks for bringing clarity.

I've been thinking a little ahead since I haven't ordered my growing equipment. I was wondering what strains are best for a beginner to grow? I've looked at a lot of different strains but it's pretty much a crap shoot for me as far as picking one to grow. My research has led me to White Widow only because it seems to be popular as well as potent. I want to ensure a successful first grow, so any experienced input would be appreciated.

Also, Hemp Goddess mentioned that I would be better off growing fewer plants as a beginner. I think she meant fewer big plants as opposed lots of smaller ones. I was wondering why, and can you yield as much with fewer large plants as opposed to more smaller ones? The flowering tent I'm looking at is just under 5' x 5' (55" x 55") with a 1000w HPS, so how many plants should I think about growing in a space that size? Thanks.

PuffinNugs said:
i would fit 4 nice sized plants in there, no more than 6 if they are indica but i dont like my spaces to crammed full, they seem to do better when they have thier space and dont fight over light

Thanks PuffinNugs, It sounds like quality over quantity. I think Indicas, from what I've read, grow shorter and bushier but White Widow is a hybrid. Lots of stuff to consider, many variables, like SOG and even autoflowering plants, but maybe those are advanced techniques. I'm probably getting ahead of myself. :)

I would agree with Puffn on the amount of plants. I have 2 cabinets that are 3.5'x3.5', and I put 6 indica hybrids that are mostly indica dominant. When they grew to max height(that I tried to keep as low as possible) they were wall to wall sea of green. The bad thing is that I lost yeild due to them fighting for light, and ended up losing 2 plants in each room.

Typically there should be very little difference in the yeild of plants grown in SOG (many plants grown close together to produce a "sea of green"), and in plants that are grown taller with space between them. SOG plants produce less bud per plant because of space issues while fewer plants have more space to produce more bud per plant(but fewer plants), so it usually equals out.

From my limited experience, growing SOG style is very challenging and work intensive for a beginner. You will be happier growing fewer plants and learning how to do some LST and Fim techniques. Both of these techniques will allow you to get the most out of each plant.

I started my serious grow with a new hybrid strain from Next Generation seeds called Blueberry Punch. It is a solid yeilder with real good, tasty smoke. MY plants have been very hearty and forgiving of mistakes. I got really good germination rate from the seeds and they clone real easy. I got a 10pack of seeds from Greenlife seeds for $50.00. got em in 2 weeks.

Look here on the Attitude at different strains or at Greenlife seeds, but look closely at the phenotypes of the plants more so than just at them being indica or sativa. The phenotypes will tell you how the plant grows and what to expect from it. I would only get seeds from the higher profile breeders at this point as their stock will be more reliable.

Great stuff Hushpuppy! Exactly what I was looking for.

I'm convinced on the four plant strategy. The extra space around the plants will allow for Supercropping, plus I should be able to grow them nice and tall for maximum yield.

I've been shopping for seed at Attitude Seedbank, heard good things about them. Thanks for the heads up about Greenlife; I've added them to my favorites list. I Still haven't decided on a strain but I know I want feminized.

I clicked on the thread in your signature and I'm totally impressed with the great job you've done, very professional, outstanding!

With all the great help I've received here, I think I can get off to a flying start, and I'm grateful, so thanks so much!

Keep up the passion!

Latest posts

Back