new setup attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoner 420

Reaction score
hey all as u all know i have built a new setup and i have transferred three sprouts to the new setup and just planted a new one.. i have 6300 lumens in like 1.5 sqft.. i have them planted in non-fert soil and peralite.. I have built a new reflector to hold three soft white cfls and a clamp light to hold two cool white cfls i also have two 24in tube flouro hung on the sides... so here r the pics of my new setup and what is in it now... i have some problems with a couple of the sprouts any one know mayb what is wrong with these sprouts... any info u need pls let me know and i will tell u what i have done... temps stay around 75 to 86 and humdidty is only like 25 to 30 percent..... how can i get my humdidty up some i have tryied spraying the walls and putting a cup of hot water in the box but nothing is working..... pls help me i have never had a plant grow past sprout stage... this is as big as i can get them ... they get this size then stop... any help is greatly appreciated...

the last two pics r the same sprout just different angles.. the first one just got the brown spots i think the lights where too close and a drop of water got on it and burnt it.. .. in the box there is five cups the two red ones r new the one on the left have a germenated seed in it awaiting it to pop up the other red cup i put toomuch water in it and was letting it dry out some before i put the last seed in it.. the seed is ready to go in .......... pls let me know what u think about the new setup and the srpouts

100_0784.JPG

100_0785.JPG

100_0786.JPG

100_0787.JPG

100_0791.JPG

100_0792.JPG

I think a couple things. I think that you should poke some holes in the bottom of the cups so there is drainage. How often do you water? The plants looke slightly wilted, like my current plants look. I think my issue is underwatering (the air dries the water out of my peat pots filled with soil pretty fast, and I water them every 12 hours)
Maybe that is an issue.... do you happen to know the PH of the soil and or water you are using?

i have no clue what the ph is but i use distilled water adn tap water switching them out in turn.. i may be underwatering but i heard once to let it dry out alittle but i think ur right i am letting it dry out too much.. i have four drainage holes on the bottom of each cup .. i don't think drainage is the problem but underwatering may be.. any suggestions are welcome .. i will start to water more thanks for the tips.. anymore help is appreciated.......

I was gonna say overwatering.... y'all beat me to it! ;)

Are you sure that v/p mix is non-ferted?

thanks you guys for ur help i woke up this morning and one of them has really taken off the one that is all curled up i have had problems with since germenation so it mayb just b a weak strain consedering they are all bagseed it is ok.. i have been haveing humidity problems they are about 20 to 30 % i spray the walls three times a day and they go up for about 10 min then back down i can not figure it out... any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

and i am positive that the soil is non-fert with plane perilite so i am not sure i have been watering twice a day and is not getting better but new growth is nice and green and looks good.. any help is wanted and needed so pls give any suggestions that u have........

no offense but u should get rid of the tubs and atleast get like 4 more cfl's for ur veg. stage abd then u should think hps for flowering! DO some reading u can learn so much!

ok i have had two new sprouts put in on the 5th and the 6th and they r growing like crazy i still can't get my humidity up any suggestions are greatly appreciated.... i have tried the wall spraying thing and it is not working.....

pls help me get a first grow under my belt can i get some knowledge on the situation.. i know there is alot of knowledge here so let me have it... thanks to all

The humidity shouldn't be such an issue I don't think. Plus, when they have rooted nicely and later in the flowering stage you don't want too much humidity for a few reasons.

ok thanks alot fluid i was worried about the humidity .. i just got done searching the forum on how to raise humidity and just found that 20 to 30 percent is good for saftey reasons and so i will just keep it about 25 and hope for the best... i have been watching some grow journals and my little ones don't seem to b growing as fast as the ones on here .... i have two that r just a 4 and 5 days old and they only have the first two leaves the others i have are atleast 3 weeks from sprout and they have alot of leaves but the nodes are not spreading the just grow more and more three leave nodes one right ontop of the other i mean they r compact.. they r not growing up or out but the have new growth from the center like crazy i will take some pics for an update in a couple days to let u see what is going on i was just hoping to get some insight on my problem before i get too far into the veg cycle.... any help is greatly appreciated so pls let me know what is going........ is this normal or what hopfully it is normal.... i have 7600 lumens in 1.5 sqft so i have plenty of light in my little box so that can't be the issue..........

When you pound the light to them I find they branch out faster...

ok i took some pics for an update so everyone could see what i am talking about.. Hey kade i don't think i can get anymore light on them and keep temps steady.. i done some reading yesterday and i desided to go get somemore cool white 6500 kelvin cfls and replaced two of the soft white 26 watters for two cool white 26 watters.. so now the total lumens have changed. they are now 6475 and temps r 84 and if i put a soft white 1700 lumen cfls in there the temps go to 90 91 and i am not sure that that is a temp too hot for the little girls.... so i am going to leave just cool white cfls at 6475 and hope for the best.. well enough talking here r the updates...

ok a description of the pic they did not end up in order so i will tell u what they r..
first two r box pics
third is a 5 day old sprout of my wifes ( christmas) she named it
fourth is old timer the oldest and the one i have had problems with ( 1 in tall and 12 leaves)
the fifth is dually she is 1 in tall and has the most leaves 18 of them
sixth is my favorite is shorty the tallest at 1.5 inches with 12 leaves
seventh and eight is the same SHORTY
ninth and tenth r the newest additon at 4 days old and named her after my daughter KATIE...

ok so this is what is going on shorty, dually and oldtimer are all about three weeks old as u see lots of leaves but instead of growing out they r just growing more and more leaves and advice on how to get them to consentrate on growing the leaves they already have..

christmas and katie were planted for safe measures on getting females they seem to be doing better than the others at this age so mayb they will be my best ones... i think one is sativa and one is indica but i am not sure yet..

100_0838.JPG

100_0839.JPG

100_0840.JPG

100_0841.JPG

100_0842.JPG

100_0843.JPG

100_0844.JPG

100_0845.JPG

100_0847.JPG

100_0848.JPG

any advice would be helpful i am hopeing they just take off any day now so any advice on how to get some side growth going is helpfull... do yall think i should transplant the oldest ones into bigger pots and see if that helps or should i just leave them for now... thanks in advance i am looking forward too some good replys and hoping someone can help me like MUTT the soil king or any of the other highly intelligent ppl on this site can help me with some serious stuff... any dedicated enough is great

I think it's getting near time for more light.

ok maybe i am misunderstanding the amount of light i need... i have read and read and read and i keep hearing that need minimum 3000 lumens per sqft for veg and 5000 to 6000 for flower i have 6400 for veg how is it that i need more light i just don't understand.. can someone pls inform me on what i am doing wrong .... i have 6400 lumens of pure cool white light.. i am planing on adding a 70 watt hps for flower but i just need to know why i need more light and exactly how light i need for veg.... if i need more how much more i need help ....

what is up with everybody all i get is you need more and nothing else i have tried to describe and tell yall what i have going on so why no help does noone help with us guys with a low budget .................

can i pls get some help

When you repot the plants you will need more space than what you are using. You'll need more light immediately after repotting.

ok i get it know yall r telling me that i need more room... well here is my plan i am planning on getting rid of the worst two and keeping the strongest three when it gets time to transplant the big ones... so my plan is to have three plants to flower .. the three i choose will be put in 1.5 gallon pots soon to finish veg then when i find out the sex of the three i will put the females in either 3 gallon pots or if i only have one a 5 gallon pot but untill sex is determinded they will stay in 1.5 gallon pots for veg.....

this is all the room i have to do this in i have heard that many ppl do it in less space than this so for the bigger space idea is out of the question .... i am only looking at flowering no more than two plants so this is all the room i need i think... what do yall think should i just give up or give it a try........

Why would you remove plants before you find out what sex they are?? I would sex the plants before you remove any. Also remember that males are usually bigger anyway....

ok for ur lighting, I know its alot but ull learn alot form this!

http://www.centralcoasthydro.com/growfaq.htm

Q. What is HID Lighting?

A. HID Lighting stands for High Intensity Discharge Lighting, which is a special type of lighting that is much more intense than any other grow lamp available. It is perfect for growing vegetables, flowers and herbs year round, even if you do not have a greenhouse. The second most popular lighting for gardening is fluorescents. HID systems are TWICE as efficient as fluorescents. It would take twenty 40 watt, 4' fluorescents to put out as much light as one 400 watt halide system.

Q. Do I need special wiring for these lights?

A. No, all lamps are ready to plug into normal, 110 volt household outlets. Radiant Systems are multi-volt ready to allow for 220 volt conversion.

Q. Are there different kinds of HID lights?

A. Yes. The two types of HID lights available are METAL HALIDE and HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM. Metal Halide lamps come in 175, 250, 400, and 1000 watt sizes. High Pressure sodium systems come in 150, 250, 400 and 1000 watt sizes. Metal Halide lamps put out light that is high in the blue color spectrum. That is more like natural sunlight. In late 1994, 2 new metal halide lamps became available--the AGRO SUN Halides in 400 and 1000 watt sizes. These are halide bulbs designed specifically for agricultural use. They put out as much light as a "super output" halide, but they emit 15% more of the red/orange spectrum. This makes them even more like natural sunlight and an excellent all-around light choice. For growers who wish to experiment with color spectrum, halides can be a good choice. Each metal halide lamp kit--the 175, 250, 400 and 1000 watt systems--may be retrofitted with a CONVERSION BULB. This bulb works on a regular halide ballast, but emits sodium-type light. Because of this, the metal halide systems are perfect for those who wish to have a choice of both metal halide and high pressure lights, but want to use only one ballast. Also, metal halide lamps are a less expensive choice at the time of purchase.

High Pressure Sodium lamps put out light that is high in the red-orange-yellow color spectrum. The sodium bulbs have twice the life of the metal halide bulbs, needing to be replaced 1/2 as often. High Pressure Sodium lamps are the standard choice for greenhouse growers, since there is plenty of blue spectrum light available naturally in the greenhouse. A high pressure sodium bulb will emit more lumens of light for the wattage being used than a metal halide lamp. For example, a 400 watt halide system emits 40,000 lumens of light. A 400 watt sodium system emits 50,000 lumens of light. For the same amount of electricity, the 400 watt sodium lamp emits 25% more light than the 400 watt halide. Most folks who light with high pressure sodium systems use the agricultural bulbs, called "SON" or "SUPER AGRO". These are color corrected sodium bulbs that will operate with a regular sodium fixture. They emit 30% more of the blue color spectrum and emit 6% more light. Their benefits over typical sodium include healthier green growth and more sturdy, compact plant growth. The SUPER AGRO sodiums are available for the 400, 250 and 150 fixtures. There is no SUPER ARGRO available for the 1000 watt fixture at this time.

Q. Which light is better?

A. Different people have different objectives and we carry all lamps for that reason. Greenhouse growers typically will almost always choose high pressure sodium lights. Those who want to get "the most lamp for the money" go with the halides, as they cost less at initial purchase. The halides (especially the agricultural halides) are most pleasant to be around, so they are good choices for the in-home displays. Those more concerned with bulb replacement costs often choose the SUPER AGRO sodiums, as they offer excellent color spectrum with less frequent bulb changes. Many plants don't care what light is used, as long as they get enough light they are happy. So you can see, the choice is up to you, depending on your priorities and needs!

Q. How Often will I need to replace my bulbs?

A. Any Bulb will loose it's brightness very gradually as it is used. Halides of all types will need to be replaced at least yearly with continual use. Halide lamps will lose about 25% of their lumen output after a year of continual use. Agricultural (SUPER AGRO) Sodiums should be replaced about every 18 months; regular sodium every 2 years. Some folks like to replace even more often in order to continue getting optimum lumen output from their bulbs, but your plants will perform just fine following these replacement guidelines.

Again soryy its so long but it sould help out with ur lighting questions. And u have the right idea for ur pots but like Fluid1 said, i wouldn't remove any plants till they r sexed! I hade one of my worst looking seedling become one of my most beutiful ladys. So just baby them ones and u might be suprized in the end. And by the way looking good since the last post! What kind of ferts. u using?

thanks i really appreciate the good reading ... and for the question on what ferts i am using i have not started them yet i bought some MG all purpose plant food to start with then when i get a free day to take a trip ( hour and a half) to the closest hydro shop to get some fox farms stuff and possibly pick up a 70 or 100 watt hps .... i am using some cheap potting mix from wally world and some perlite ... i am just wandering why the leaves stop growing they get so big then more come out and they will do the same i am confused my plants r not near as big as any plant i have seen on this site ... i don't understand.. like my new sprouts one has just stoped growing all together they just stop growing can someone pls help me understand why they stop growing ....... and thanks for the help i am likeing the replys .. i just need help with getting them going without stopping..................

hello everyone it has been a few days since the last update the last time i posted i was getting frustrated so i started working more and left them alone and they took off they are all about 3 inches with about 5 nodes now... the two little ones died so i took them out now all i have is the oldest ones .... they are getting big quick i am very happy with the progress they have made in just a couple days i will take some pics and try to get them on in a day or so........thanks for the help everyone i hope to get them flowering before the first of the year............

Latest posts

Back