Outdoor Auto Chatter thread....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Chamberlain...nobody here has alot of experience with what the auto's will do outdoors, in different climates. This is kind of the reason for this thread is that Hammy (our resident auto guru) had the idea to get a bunch of us to try it in different parts of the country to see how they will do.

So with that being said, if you'd like to join in and document your grow for your temperate region we would all like to know the outcome.

This is still in the planning stage but everyone figured it would be a good reference for future auto growers to see how well they grow in different regions, and climates. I would hope that you could spare a few beans in the name of science....lol...but understand if you don't want to.

Alright, I'm in. Just visited Attitude, and ordered me some Lowlife Automatic AK47xDiesel beans. If I can get my lights set up, I'll probably do a quick grow indoors to produce some seed, but I'm gonna save some to put in my veggie garden. My outdoor probably won't get started until end of May.

It seems to me that most outdoor/greenhouse issues would be the same for most all MJ plants except for times of harvest. Then you'd drop down to harvest and drying section. I would to see how every one's MJ is doing. If there a way to get or give advice on outdoor MJ, keep it all in one spot.

I decided to try and grow for seeds outside. I dropped 5 auto AK47 seeds in water earlier today. I thought I'd drop the other 5 in two weeks along with some more fem auto white russians to fill up the tent as well. I'm gona use the outdoors for pollinating a female to try to make my own auto AK47 seends like HIE and BigFunGirl did. I'm glad to see a couple others here with the same plan. I'm sorta tired of paying for seeds.

OldHippieChick said:
I decided to try and grow for seeds outside. I dropped 5 auto AK47 seeds in water earlier today. I thought I'd drop the other 5 in two weeks along with some more fem auto white russians to fill up the tent as well. I'm gona use the outdoors for pollinating a female to try to make my own auto AK47 seends like HIE and BigFunGirl did. I'm glad to see a couple others here with the same plan. I'm sorta tired of paying for seeds.

It makes the most sense....especially with high priced auto beans...one good seed run and you cld hve hundreds of beans and be set...even if you selectively pollinate a bud or two and wind up with 30-40 beans you wld be set for a while....

OldHippieChick said:

Do any of you see this as "irresponsible"?... "auto" and "fem" pollen floating around the country, neighborhood??? Pollen can travel for miles!

Or are we so wrapped up in our own world, as to not care about others?..
Not everyone is a fan of those ..less than optimal genetics.
I would be more than a little 'pissed' if they pollinated my outdoor crop.

PLEASE... if you're going to insist on 'chucking pollen', at least do it in a manner as to not poison others medicine.. "please".

OHC, don't take this as directed solely at you, or at you as an an individual. I'm addressing the entire .."fem/auto" crowd.

Well Hick, since you've used that phrase "pollen chuckers" before - please take the time to explain just what it means. I assumed based on your earlier comments some weeks ago referencing 4u2s post, that you were referring to people "creating" their own strains by crossing others genetics and renaming them and passing them out before they were proven and stabilized. I didn't see anyone dissing HIE in his autos for seeds thread - I recall it was done similarly.
I also PMed you asking if I was being naive realizing that you had some experience in seed breeding. I assumed you were to busy to respond and would get around to me when you could .... so imagine my surprise this AM when you took the time to respond here with a statement that to consider such a thing is being somehow selfish and irresponsible? OH MY. I seriously doubt that smack dab in the middle of 35+ miles of city I am going to affect you or any outdoor medical growers harvest in a state without medical marijuana laws...... But for the sake of discussion, please enlighten us on how we can do this safely and respectfully. I am open to suggestions keeping in mind that my goal is to produce seeds for my personal use.

OldHippieChick said:
Well Hick, since you've used that phrase "pollen chuckers" before - please take the time to explain just what it means. I assumed based on your earlier comments some weeks ago referencing 4u2s post, that you were referring to people "creating" their own strains by crossing others genetics and renaming them and passing them out before they were proven and stabilized. I didn't see anyone dissing HIE in his autos for seeds thread - I recall it was done similarly.
I also PMed you asking if I was being naive realizing that you had some experience in seed breeding. I assumed you were to busy to respond and would get around to me when you could .... so imagine my surprise this AM when you took the time to respond here with a statement that to consider such a thing is being somehow selfish and irresponsible? OH MY. I seriously doubt that smack dab in the middle of 35+ miles of city I am going to affect you or any outdoor medical growers harvest in a state without medical marijuana laws...... But for the sake of discussion, please enlighten us on how we can do this safely and respectfully. I am open to suggestions keeping in mind that my goal is to produce seeds for my personal use.

ahhh...OHC! 'twas you :p I deleted the message and simply forgot who sent it. I even asked another poster in pm if it was her, asking. I'm sorry.
If you're going to make seeds, simply isolate the males, "select" a good one,(one with the traits you desire), collect pollen, and selectively pollinate your 'choice' female.
Allowing 'any' pollen to freely float around the country is irresponsible "IMO".
Femmed and auto is even worse, "IMO" possibly injecting those characteristics into someone/anyone elses grow.
35 miles of city or 35 million acres of forest, the results are the same, "if" it unknowingly and unwanted invades someone elses grow.
as for "pollen chuckers".. I consider myself one. Occasional f1 hybrids, or a seed run to keep something of a specific strain around. Not unlike you're wanting to do now.
Anyone making seeds, that is not serious and/or very dedicated and educated the subject. ;)...not trying to 'create' a strain.. pollen chuckers :p

I have seeded every strain I have ever bought. (however I don't use fems or auto's) but I agree that to just let pollen fly to do the job is not the right way of doing things. I have always had isolated pollen and pollinated just a branch of plants. I have unfortunately found a rogue male here and there over the yrs, one that I missed or had forgotten about...and yes it sucks when you find all your sensi bud is not sensi!

Hick said:
Do any of you see this as "irresponsible"?... "auto" and "fem" pollen floating around the country, neighborhood??? Pollen can travel for miles!

Or are we so wrapped up in our own world, as to not care about others?..
Not everyone is a fan of those ..less than optimal genetics.
I would be more than a little 'pissed' if they pollinated my outdoor crop.

PLEASE... if you're going to insist on 'chucking pollen', at least do it in a manner as to not poison others medicine.. "please".

OHC, don't take this as directed solely at you, or at you as an an individual. I'm addressing the entire .."fem/auto" crowd.

Them be some fightin words.
You wake up and see a grown male auto in a paint shaker in your front yard. It was me, tossin pollen all over your place. :p

i would look for hicks property and put a male auto ak right by his best female lololol just kidding hick keep it low guys ;)

Does an indoor-outdoor grow count? I'm very happy with the results of growing plants directly into my rolling 4 cu ft garden cart. I haven't tried it with autos yet. But in my climate (more arid, hotter than ChamberlainDavidd's) of low desert, nothing with a broadleaf can survive outside once summer temps hit.

However, by utilizing a rolling cart, I can move the plants to partial shade, and mist them to cool them off. They seem to be able to handle the heat with some TLC and toughening up, gradually, but just not the direct desert sun.

I'd really like to participate in this grow if my convoluted way of growing "outdoors" would be acceptable.

My current autos are nearing harvest and have been outside daily, and the main colas are the width of a Redbull can. There's sure something good about what Hick calls "That giant metal halide in the sky."

I'm attaching a picture of my rolling cart to see what you all think. May I share my experiences with my next auto grow here, or just keep it to my own grow journal?

CartGrowing.jpg

Nice autos, MM :). Post away, I'm going to!

Here's my outdoor Himalaya Blue Diesel - a mighty 4 inch, 4 week old plant :hubba:.

Considering the temps it's seen, I think it looks pretty good :D. Overnight temps from 40s and 50s (most of the time) to 70s, daytime temps 50s (much of the time) to 70s.

OA (1024 x 768).jpg

I'm not going to do a gj, I'll just post a few pics here if it's ok. I haven't decided whether I'm going to do any more outside plants this year.

Latest posts

Back