The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't have dolls to play with growing up, but we blew the shit out of lots of stuff with fireworks, including those we made ourselves.
I was lucky, my rich cousins got all the new top rated toys that were handed down to me within a year or two in brand new condition.
They were so spoiled they never even open some of the boxes.

Has to be a strike anywhere match, Many yrs ago my grandfather made me a pistol with a metal barrel and large spring to shoot Strike anywhere Matches.
I was the neighborhood fire starter
We were simpler, lower tech... but my betcha we wuz equally accurate as well as broader usage possibilities.

The ole wooden spool match cannon. They came in many equivalents:

1. Simple rubberband-grabs-match, pull and release (pistol equivalent)

2. Double Bbl - #1 with a hole big enough to hold two matches (shotgun eqivalent)

3. Stalin Organ - #1 that has hole big enough to hold 3 or more matches (artillery)

4. Sniper - A very special spool that could shoot accurately.
1680185956143.png

5. Fire Arrow - A spool as above drilled out so a 25c wooden arrow would fit through. Matches taped around the arrow point.

Lastly, I give you a genuine, fast-reloading, matchstick firing pistol. It works thisaway:

The barrel/breech swings open and you load a match stick into the chamber. The head of the match stick is facing rearwards. You cock the hammer and pull the trigger. The hammer strikes the match head igniting it and the combustion propels the match stick. Ba-da-bing:

1680186730129.png

We were simpler, lower tech... but my betcha we wuz equally accurate as well as broader usage possibilities.

2. Double Bbl - #1 with a hole big enough to hold two matches (shotgun eqivalent)

3. Stalin Organ - #1 that has hole big enough to hold 3 or more matches (artillery)

View attachment 323546
5. Fire Arrow - A spool as above drilled out so a 25c wooden arrow would fit through. Matches taped around the arrow point.

Lastly, I give you a genuine, fast-reloading, matchstick firing pistol. It works thisaway:

The barrel/breech swings open and you load a match stick into the chamber. The head of the match stick is facing rearwards. You cock the hammer and pull the trigger. The hammer strikes the match head igniting it and the combustion propels the match stick. Ba-da-bing:

View attachment 323547
Do you own such a pistol ?
I have made the spool match shooter as a kid My Pops taught me how to build them
Forgot about them until you posted this Thks Walt
Love the gun

View attachment 323546

View attachment 323547
Newer version, too bad it is made in China

Walt did you order this BB gun from back of Pop Science?
I ordered one like it very small blk tiny BB and it was loaded one shot at a time with maybe a cap charge to propel it, Long time I forget.
Nope. The one pictured is it. You could put some BB's in a loading slot. You jacked it back for each shot like a Luger by holding the serrated grip. That loaded a spring which would push an air plunger when you pulled the trigger.

1680187010748.png

Latest posts

Back