The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when I lived in the mid west and we would get an ice storm.....power lines down and cars all over the place. We do get Ice but not like that and we have a much better hwy dept which is ready for that stuff. Be safe and have a good day off. I'm working.....I don't get days off since retiring. Pruning our my arise today. Fricken clones....no more roots yet.....gonna switch back to hormex the next run....clonex is slow....

Up to 10 above f.....a walk is definitely in order during the heat of the day as long as the wind stays calm.....

Back to pruning....

Good afternoon old farts, hope all are healthy and kickin' butt today. It was 12 below when it got light out, now about 10 above. It's a heat wave, never above 3 degrees yesterday. And we got a little snow.
IMG_1285[1].JPG
IMG_1286[1].JPG

It just reached 40F and is raining on top of ours snow/ice pack. It is a given that the local streams and rivers will be near flood stage or beyond.

We've lost power several times since last night, and we've heard 14 transformers explode since about 2:00 AM this morning. About 300K locally without power.

Bunches of big limbs down in the park.

Enjoy the night OFC, it's time to eat a cookie and smoke a lot of pot. We are having an ice storm later tonight, I hope we don't lose power. Black outs never bothered me much until a few years back when I lost power for almost three weeks. Killed all my babies and I had to start over. Now if it goes out I get worried after five minutes.

Before I take the dirt nap, I'm gonna get a Generac that'll power the whole neighborhood. Six houses, but they'll have to pop for the hookups. I ain't buying all the wire it'd take to get to the last one, a quarter mile away. Gonna put a steel roof on the ranch, too. Supposed to last for 50 years, so the Pullet would be 80 when she needed to worry about it. I'll be past worrying about shit.

Forecast says 12"+ inches for tonight and -8 F. Sound like fun yet? Actually have a chicken furnace. My grandma would kick my a** if she were alive, that is.

your gramma was old school , I bet she used to ring the neck off chickens without batting an eye

like you , I put some heat in the hoop house and put 13 hens and a rooster in there , two heat lamps and a small space heater..the hoop house has a tarp on it and with a few bales of hay they stay pretty warm , although their water has a little ice on it...

I did bring one of the old roosters in the house cause he was half frozen when I found him , he wasn’t moving......

he is doing well this morning

38501CC4-0CCE-4E00-BA37-64E2627409F8.jpeg

and that’s the end of my story

CE68EAB4-1F06-4C2B-8917-FCBFE24814D0.jpeg

your gramma was old school , I bet she used to ring the neck off chickens without batting an eye

like you , I put some heat in the hoop house and put 13 hens and a rooster in there , two heat lamps and a small space heater..the hoop house has a tarp on it and with a few bales of hay they stay pretty warm , although their water has a little ice on it...

I did bring one of the old roosters in the house cause he was half frozen when I found him , he wasn’t moving......

View attachment 269053

View attachment 269054
The chicken with bl/wht comb is showing where the eggs come from , very strange I do not see the oil gland (Popes Nose) LOL

Before I take the dirt nap, I'm gonna get a Generac that'll power the whole neighborhood.

Good idea and an excellent way to insure you seldom need it. I purchased a 6.3 kW genset for our house back when they were predicting rolling blackouts and it was almost 15 years before I needed it and then I couldn't start it because I failed to keep the gas fresh. It has been another 15 years or so and we've yet to have a blackout here last long enough that we've needed it.

Not sure if that is a tribute to PGE/PPL or the laws of fate that say "the gods laugh at man's plans but luck favors the better prepared."

Before I take the dirt nap, I'm gonna get a Generac that'll power the whole neighborhood. Six houses, but they'll have to pop for the hookups. I ain't buying all the wire it'd take to get to the last one, a quarter mile away. Gonna put a steel roof on the ranch, too. Supposed to last for 50 years, so the Pullet would be 80 when she needed to worry about it. I'll be past worrying about shit.
Good Plan and when power does go out raise the rates on your power , we'll show the Big Boys we mean business too

View attachment 269053

View attachment 269054
A good ending.

Morning OFC. Tea day for the girls. No power problems here so far. Got me thinking about what I would do if it went out for an extended amount of time.....might take Hippie's advise and look into a generac.
I hooked up a 8500 surge 5500 run Genny (outside in a box) and then and 240 plug in on house wall outside also near genny.
Then a heavy duty male to male cord to hook the genny to the house outlet which is connected to a transfer switch in basement,
The transfer switch allows me to turn off breakers from utility power and then you connect it to your generator with flips of another set of double throw breakers in transfer box. So basically I turn off power from supplier and flip it over to my gen/power . in case the system re energizes while running it.

Latest posts

Back