Let's try it again. Hopefully Life wont get in the way again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CasualGrower

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Well CG is back and at it again. Life sorta got in the way of the last grow, my mother got sick and has since passed, so in the meantime the garden got neglected. Out of the 15 or so clones i had going on the last grow, I lost all but 2 of them that managed to stay alive. At least I did not lose the strain. I had lost most of them due to low water levels in the res which was sitting too low for the small pump to raise the water the extra distance and had a few clogged drippers.

Well I made myself a bubble style cloner and took 15 more cuttings. Added a lil Liquid Karma and stuck them in and sat back......Finally about a week and a half later I am seeing roots. Well I got stuck into a project and had to put off moving them into their new home until tonite...Roots are now 10-12 inches long heh.

The Girls new homes are 5 gallon Home De-Pot buckets with holes in the lids for a 5 inch net pot. The system is a Deep Water Culture system being driven by a rather large air pump heh.... the pump is pushing MORE than enough air for 12 buckets heh. I put 6 of them in the buckets tonite and will have to get the rest in a couple days, also I am ordering a second 400 Watt HPS tonite seeing as one will certainly NOT be enough for 12, 5 gallon buckets.

I also moved the growing location from an upstairs bedroom to the basement seeing as my upstairs gets pretty hot and two of those lights would get it cooking pretty well. I am still using upstairs for cloning and mothers though....

Now for the water conditions. I use tap water for all my hydro.. I know some of you are cringing now, but it has worked well for me in the past.

Tap water TDS: 138 PPM and PH is 5.8ish
Added a small amount of liquid karma to each bucket... about a TBSP in each... no big change in TDS

I also added Botanicare Pure Blend Grow and brought the TDS up to 450-500 PPM.... that is a lil low, but I wanna start the ladies out nice and easy.

I do not have pics as of this moment but will post them this weekend some time as I have to go to work tonite and dont really have the time for it right now.

Wish me luck and pull up a chair and lets see if I can grow in a tub of water. 8)

Take Care.

Sorry to hear about your mother, I lost mine a little while ago too. I kinda know how it feels, I hope you and your family are OK and wish you all the best. There's nothing in this world like a good mother.

Looks like you have some new plans. I love that you use Botanicare, I like it bunches. I also have some of the same setups with the HD buckets. A new 400? How big is the area? You might want more light for 12 of them. Doing a Sog? How long are you vegging?

Once again I am sorry to hear of your loss and wish you the best...I'm not religious but I will keep a soft spot in my heart open for your family.

Best of luck and I can't wait to see some pics and some plants.

Hi there. We are all sorry for your loss and you have our condolences. It sounds like you have a plan in motion. A 400 would be ok for a sog with that many plants. Going to get really crowded if you veg for too long though. I would go straight to 12/12 with the 12 clones. Just my thoughts. I hope to see you around the forums. Keep us posted. I will be watching. Take care and be safe.

Thank you all for the condolences. Her passing was expected but actually came a lot quicker than expected.

Yea, there is gonna be a pair of 400 watt HPS lights, got one I been using... I am just expanding a lil bit 8). Gonna put 6 under each light. I originally thought about putting 2 plants per bucket, but I did not trust myself enough to hand cut the lids for 2 net pots each. One lil slip and it wont have the strength to hold up the plants.... I plan on vegging them for maybe 6 weeks or so, maybe a lil longer.

I am starting them off on the botanicare line for this grow basically to finish up old stock of supplies... I will keep using the liquid karma though but i will switch to Fox Farms Grow, Big Bloom And Tiger for flower.... I think that is what I bought before the last grow ended abruptly, I will have to dig them out to make sure. I liked the botanicare line, but just trying something a lil different if for nothing else but so I can judge for myself which ones I like better.

Hey snuggles, the buckets you got from Home De-Pot..... are they the orange ones? the HD's in my area only had those, I went all over town looking for darker buckets and the only place that had them were Worm's Way and I refuse to pay that much for a bucket heh... I am curious if they let too much light in to the root zone or if you have had any algae problems.... I am hoping it blocks enough, but if not I will wrap them in black poly.

As promised, it is Sunday and here are a few pics.... sorry about the HPS Glow.... There is a filter on this camera to take care of that, but I forgot how to turn it on, so I will play with the camera and figure it out for the next set.

The tent I set up is in the basement and I am gonna get some mylar for the walls. The Temp is running about 70 degrees and the humidity is 50ish. There is plenty of new growth already and the girls are looking like they are happy

A couple other pics in there are of the cloner I made. Basically 2 plastic tubs, one dark and one clear. The lids are glued together so it has it's own Humidity dome, 8). The clones in the front are those that are waiting for their buckets and the 7 or so in the back are new cuttings I put in there the other night. There is also a picture of the rootmass that they have put out in the cloner, those girls will have their own bucket tomorrow and the second light should be in this week sometime.

And last but not least, is a pic of mom ). she still has

POT 001.jpg

POT 002.jpg

POT 003.jpg

POT 004.jpg

POT 005.jpg

POT 006.jpg

POT 007.jpg

POT 008.jpg

Wednesday April, 30 2008.... 4 days in the buckets

Well 4 days into real Vegging and all is going pretty well, I will be placing the other 6 lil ladies in their buckets tonite also.

I am guessing that my PH test solution is no good heh, I finally got my new Hanna PH meter up and running tonite and the buckets tested at about 7.2. THAT is NO good... So I topped off the water in the first six buckets and brought the nute level up to about 600 PPM in all the buckets and adjusted the PH to 5.6-5.7 in all the buckets..... I finally changed my nutes over to the Fox Farms Grow Big. Kinda wondering if I will see a difference between the Botanicare and Fox Farms Nute lines.

Since I am vegging still I am gonna switch over to my flourescents for the rest of the veg and then put the HPS's back in when switching over to bloom. I have had very good luck in the past with these ladies mommas vegging under flourescents.... I am gonna use 4 ft shop lights with 2 tubes each, gonna put a 3000K and a 5600K bulb in each fixture. Each fixture will be directly over 3 plants each.

The first six are getting pretty close to start a lil LST with.... but dont wanna do that till a positive reaction from the PH change as to not stress them too much.

Once I get the other 6 buckets filled and the flourescents in, I will post some pics tonite.

Thanks for Tuning in.

Well here are the pics.. I meant to get them up last night.... but I did not get the work done... I know the plants don't look the best at the moment, but I just fixed the PH problem last night on the ones on the left of the table and the ones on the right of the table just got out of the cloner this morning so give them a couple days bounce back. I also put a pic of my mongo air pumpo and the 12 way valve I got for it. The last 2 pics are of my lil tent from the outside in my basement.

pics 072.jpg

pics 073.jpg

pics 074.jpg

pics 075.jpg

pics 076.jpg

pics 077.jpg

pics 078.jpg

pics 079.jpg

Hey CG, like the set-up, nice room too.i got a question, are these fed at the roots only, no top feed ?. could it be as simple as what i'm looking at- 5gal bucket, air pump, air line in lid, air stone, 5inch net pot, medium???
anyways bro, they look real good. i'll be watching this grow 4-sure

Yep it is as simple as that..... I have an extra bucket that I mix up for water changes.... just move the plant and the airstone over and that is all there is to it.

OK everyone, Time has come to introduce mah girls to a lil Bondage.

As I hope everyone can see, the girls are looking GREAT!!! The change over to the Flourescents has not affected negatively at all... in fact they look better than under the HPS at this early stage. The first 6 clones that I put in the buckets are getting their first tie down today and I am also giving a small extra shot of Fox Farms Grow Big... putting about 2 tablespoons in each bucket. There has not been hardly any evaporation, maybe lost a couple pints in each bucket so I am not gonna PH a new batch of water and top them off today....

I was kinda concerned about the orange buckets not being totally light proof and how it would affect root growth... well by the pic you can see that there is plenty of new healthy white root growth, so all is good there.

The six clones on the right side of the room are about a week behind the ones on the left and they are still getting used to their new home so I am not gonna mess with them just yet.... probably by thiks weekend they will be ready for a lil nute shot and their first tie down...They still need to green up a bit.
The Last pic is of Mama after I topped her back a bit to promote some new side growth... she has put out about 5-6 inches on her branches in the last week alone.

So let me know what you think, and if you have any questions or comments just holler.

Ganja 001.jpg

Ganja 002.jpg

Ganja 003.jpg

Ganja 004.jpg

Ganja 005.jpg

Ganja 006.jpg

Ganja 007.jpg

POT.jpg

POT 001.jpg

CasualGrower said:
OK everyone, Time has come to introduce mah girls to a lil Bondage.

As I hope everyone can see, the girls are looking GREAT!!! The change over to the Flourescents has not affected negatively at all... in fact they look better than under the HPS at this early stage. The first 6 clones that I put in the buckets are getting their first tie down today and I am also giving a small extra shot of Fox Farms Grow Big... putting about 2 tablespoons in each bucket. There has not been hardly any evaporation, maybe lost a couple pints in each bucket so I am not gonna PH a new batch of water and top them off today....

I was kinda concerned about the orange buckets not being totally light proof and how it would affect root growth... well by the pic you can see that there is plenty of new healthy white root growth, so all is good there.

The six clones on the right side of the room are about a week behind the ones on the left and they are still getting used to their new home so I am not gonna mess with them just yet.... probably by thiks weekend they will be ready for a lil nute shot and their first tie down...They still need to green up a bit.

So let me know what you think, and if you have any questions or comments just holler.

nice looking start there CG :aok:

OK guys, May 8, 2008 been 3 or 4 days since last update.... the girls on the left are show a huge burst of growth and seem to like being tied down, so I am gonna do what self respecting man would do.... Tie them down a lil tighter and put a second tie on them. Their PH has crept up on them a lil bit, I am guess that is result from alkali wastes from the plants. so I will bump their PH down a lil bit today and I put another lil shot of grow big in one of them for an experiment. I will probably give the girls a water change next week.

(after I wrote this I found out my PH meter was a lil out of adj... but they still should be OK... I adjusted their PH to around 6.0 and found the meter was about .4 out of adj so all should be well still. I will keep an eye on them for the rest of the day to make sure and will take immediate action if I see things going foul.)

The girls on the right are finally showing significant new growth. and you guessed it..... TIME FOR BONDAGE!!!!... they will get their first tying today also and they will get a shot of a couple tablespoons of Grow Big.
Pics 1 and 2, show the girls before I assaulted them today.... Pic 3 is one of them while I am assaulting her.. Pic 4 and 5 are the girls after I have had my way with them....6&7 are just a couple of closer pis of the tying and foilage... 8&9 are of the grow area one with lights up and one with lights down.

POT 001.jpg

POT 002.jpg

POT 003.jpg

POT 004.jpg

POT 005.jpg

POT 006.jpg

POT 009.jpg

POT 010.jpg

POT 011.jpg

Looking nice bro. I like your approach... Have you turned on the 400 watt HPS's yet to see what temps your going to look at in that room. What kind of ventilation you looking at?

Good job CG!

There's something about a green leaf against an orange background that makes it pleasant! :hubba:

My basement is underground, so it stays about 65ish down there, unless the wife goes nuts on laundry and keeps the dryer going all day. For ventilation I am thinking of just venting up the chimney hehehe, or I might run a line to one of the small windows.... not too worried about smell, I am in the process of making a carbon scrubber, (of course, it will be the same way i do everything.... I OVERDO it LOL).

I know what you mean man. I like to over do everything too... So how long do you plan on veggin?

Latest posts

Back