1st Grow Bomb Bagweed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stully

Reaction score
Whats everybody. I'm gonna start my first grow. Well I actually started 7 days ago. It's definately a poor mans grow, but will get updated as I go. I started with the 18 seeds and most of them didn't pop. Out of the 18 I think 9 popped. Up to this point I've learned a bunch of valuable lessons. I made a bad soil choice to start MG Organic Choice. I killed all but one I think root rot. They got to a certain height and just stopped and died. I've got one left and SHE is still growin a little slower then I thought SHE would. I've got two pics I will post. From the start with this soil I"ve had a gnat problem. I cleared it up with a thin layer of soil cover sand. Anyway here is the specs of my grow. I converted a closet to my grow room approximately 9 square feet. I used MG Organic Chioce which is a bad choice. I've got a 48" Fluro and an 18" Growlux. I hope to add some CFL's when the money comes in. I have a decent sized fan blowing fresh air into the closet. And I am using regular tap water after it sits out for at least a day. I have not fed nutes and don't plan on it for at least a few weeks. Not sure what I want to do with the nutes, any input would be appreciated. Also I found a hydro shop bout half hour away(when I called the dude sounded like chong so it might be good), but they carry Fox Farm products. I have more seeds coming this weekend, I'd like to have 8 females for this grow. The seeds that are coming are same bomb bagweed, I am going to use a different soil(leaning toward MG Moisture control because I can get it free), I know, I know, nobody like it; but i plan on a pretty regular flushing regiment(possibly every 3 weeks). I am looking at a 250W HID set-up the hydro shop has a sale $95(fixture, reflector, ballast, bulb and 10ft. grounded cord). I am seriously thinking about this. Is it a good deal or should I keep this poorman till i get a system. I don't know what else I can say, take a look at the pic. I think it is growing very slow, but I don't know. I think I put it in soil on the 20th or 21st. I'm not sure how to post a picture, but I will when I figure it out.

june 25 day 7 photo 2.jpg

June 25 day 7.jpg

I know I will probably get slammed for this but I use MG soil all the time and never hve any problems... I use the kind made for seedlings... I grew autos in it last grow and they came out great....with the MG soil you don't hve to worry about nutes for some time... jmo
Good luck with the grow

I use MG moisture control soil and have no problems also, I have read that Mdanzig breed in nothing but MG soil...

The only suggestion I have at this point stully is that it looks like you need a bit more sand on top of the soil to prevent the gnats... Im just saying this because I helped you figure out a lot of your problems... You dont want to see any exposed soil under the sand....

Good luck and I will keep an eye on this thread to help you along the way... Lets just keep our fingers crossed that its a female...

About the light, remember that a hid is going to get a lot warmer in your grow area, a 250 isnt going to get crazy hot, but i would get the light if I were you, lighting is one of the most important factors.. Just keep an eye on temps, The hemp goddess has a DIY cool tube that you can make for like $40 for a 250w hid... Just keep the flouros for seedling though, when they are young its hard to handle super bright lights...

Thanks alot guys. I will add more sand mindzeye. I just cut some slits in the side of my cup to help with the drainage. In retro after doing more research I think that was the problem with the plants that died RIP, that MG Organic Choice did not drain well. I think If i were to cut it with sand, or perlite or something along those line it would have proved itself a little better.

Do you guys think the price on the light is right or do you think I can do better. Keep in mind I do not have to pay shipping and I can pay cash no red flags and no waiting for delivery.

Yes drainage is a must have... Just dont let the container sit in drainage water...

MindzEye said:
Yes drainage is a must have... Just dont let the container sit in drainage water...

i clean the pan out pretty much everyday. I was gonna water today. The moisture meter reads like 1.5 - 2, but the plant looks fine, so I think I will wait another day. Do you think the plant is like super small for 4 or 5 hays old is am I on target.

for 4-5 days it looks fine, expect the next set of leaves any day now....

MindzEye said:
for 4-5 days it looks fine, expect the next set of leaves any day now....

I actually see something brewing down there at the base of the leaves I think it's coming. I just got to get some more plants going. I don't like my odds.

i would definately buy that light setup for 95$. i wish i could find that price around! could i get this deal on the internet? lol

Killuminati420 said:
i would definately buy that light setup for 95$. i wish i could find that price around! could i get this deal on the internet? lol

give me like 10 minutes and I'll try to get a link because you could def get it.

Well good news the plants have started to grow there second set of leaves. I should also be getting some more seeds in the dirt today. I want at least six ladies.

So I just hooked up the 400w and damn I can barely see to type I got spot everywhere. I hung the HPS about 3 feet from the seedling, I will move closer when I feel comfortable the plant can handle it. It prolly can just fine, but I'm nervous. I am gonna moniter the temp very closely. I don't have any ventilation installed yet, so I have to keep a double window fan blowing through an open closet door at plant level. I do have plans for ventilation and I also have to light seal it for flowering, but it'll do for now. I also installed my old light(the 4 foot fluro) about 14 inches off the floor in the back wall. Hopelfully that will help to bathe the bottom in light when the plant gets a little bigger. I took my t5 with the grow lux and put it on the shelf until I get my clone room up and running in a few weeks. i just can't find the key to the spare closet. So anyway hopefully the plant will start some serious growin. It's been slow so far. i hope I don't hurt the plant. Is it allright to use a bathroom fan for my ventilation??

With the bathroom fan it all depends on your temps really cos as you say your door open blowing air in so the circulation should be ok.
When it was cool i was getting away with 2 open 600's in a 4 x 4.5 room with the door open and a fan blowing in oh and two 4 inch bathroom fans and an oscilating one for more movement.

Now i'm on to a great big inline fan and sealed hoods lol.

You might make it work for a while but its best to just invest in the start if ya can :)

I think 3 ft should be spot on for a seedling, thats were i'd start with a just rooted clone slowly moving it down over a week to 2 ft.
Not used seeds yet tho :)

And as for
anyway hopefully the plant will start some serious growin
Oh it will they love hps :)

Hey newbud thanks for the info I think the inline is the way to go I'm gonna look into it. Thanks for stoppin by

Sup stully, this is the best deal you will find at any place on an inline fan... Even the combo with thier carbon scrubber is cheap...

hXXp://www.hydrowholesale.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=hydro&Product_Code=TD100X&Category_Code=F

MindzEye said:
Sup stully, this is the best deal you will find at any place on an inline fan... Even the combo with thier carbon scrubber is cheap...

hXXp://www.hydrowholesale.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=hydro&Product_Code=TD100X&Category_Code=F

I found some fans at homedepot's website. they are for ductwork. Is there any reason why they wouldn't work. They don't list a cfm or anything but they make a 4", 6" and an 8".

stully said:
I found some fans at homedepot's website. they are for ductwork. Is there any reason why they wouldn't work. They don't list a cfm or anything but they make a 4", 6" and an 8".

Those fans are "booster" fans, they dont have the power you need to cool a light... They dont have enough torque to pull air through duct work... They are designed to help air pass.... Think of it as a computer fan mounted in a tube...

I found an inline joby that moves 680 cubic meters an hour for £60.
Thats well cheap

Bargains are there just gota find em ;)

Latest posts

Back