1st journal-Sensi Star/LA Ultra/NYC Diesel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gixxerman420 said:
They're all of relative size right? I was just trying to see how big a pot size I needed to go with to get a plant that size... I hope to place 6 that size into a tent 3x3x6(rough dimensions, actually slightly smaller) does anyone know of any particular advantage to these smart pots other than storage and portability? Thx again SSF!

Hi Gixxer,
The LA Ultra that I have right now in my flowering area would fill an entire 3x3 tent by itself. Right now the 5 plants in the flowering closet are covering a 4x6.5 area, about 26 square feet. Sorry, but I don't know much about the smart pots, I am still reading about them myself.

-SSF-

Im bored so I thought I would throw up some bud shots of my last Sensi Star harvest (if you click on them and then click again on the photo you can even see trichs on the red hairs). The LA Ultra is going through some serious bloom stretch but should be winding down as it is almost two weeks into flower. I will get some pics up tomorrow.

Have a good day/night.. whatever it is where you are everyone!

-SSF-
Sensi Star bud shots 001.JPG Sensi Star bud shots 004.JPG Sensi Star bud shots 008.JPG Sensi Star bud shots 011.JPG

The one LA Ultra is on day #13 of flower and she is going through some stretch. She is now taking up more than 1/3 of the grow space in the flowering area. I fed her 1.5 gallons yesterday and today the soil is bone dry again, she is drinking like crazy. 2-liter pepsi bottle is there for scale.

LA Ultra 003.JPG LA Ultra 004.JPG
-SSF-

The 2 NYCD are on day #27. The main colas are starting to take shape :) I'm getting excited! The closer the plants get to harvest the less taking care of them feels like work, it becomes fun :)

-SSF-
NYCD@Day27 001.JPG NYCD@Day27 004.JPG NYCD@Day27 008.JPG NYCD@Day27 009.JPG

fruity86 said:
big girl sensi i had an afgan kush like that it just tuck over the tent LOL

Thanks for dropping by the journal fruity:D Yea this LA Ultra is by far the biggest plant I have ever had.

-SSF-

Rosebud said:
How tall is she?

She is just under 3 feet tall out of the soil, just over 4 feet tall including the pot, but she has a lot of girth. With topping and tying down branches she is 3.5 feet across and 3 feet wide. I did some more tying down of branches this afternoon and she is now in kind of a cube shape.
LA 002.JPG LA 005.JPG

-SSF-

Ok all I need some help on this one. The two NYCD girls are 4 weeks into flower (10 week strain). One of them showed sex a week before the other one even though they were both germinated from seed at the same time. At the time I started flower both of the plants were about the same size. Recently I started noticing that the one that showed sex first is starting to develop some downward facing taco-shaped leaves. The other plant looks fine with no problems. I had been hoping the leaves were a result of under or overwatering and would go away, sadly they have not. They are not getting worse or better, just staying the same. Both of the plants are the same distance from the light, have the same temp, in the same soil, feed from the same bucket, everything is the same. I would really like to do what I can to rectify the taco-leaves though because the buds are obviously not developing as well on that plant.

Healthy girl & Healthy Girl's main top:
confused 001.JPG c 001.JPG
Taco girl & Taco Girl's main top:
confused 002.JPG confused 005.JPG

-SSF-

SensiStarFan said:
Ok all I need some help on this one. The two NYCD girls are 4 weeks into flower (10 week strain). One of them showed sex a week before the other one even though they were both germinated from seed at the same time. At the time I started flower both of the plants were about the same size. Recently I started noticing that the one that showed sex first is starting to develop some downward facing taco-shaped leaves. The other plant looks fine with no problems. I had been hoping the leaves were a result of under or overwatering and would go away, sadly they have not. They are not getting worse or better, just staying the same. Both of the plants are the same distance from the light, have the same temp, in the same soil, feed from the same bucket, everything is the same. I would really like to do what I can to rectify the taco-leaves though because the buds are obviously not developing as well on that plant.

Healthy girl & Healthy Girl's main top:
View attachment 162201 View attachment 162202
Taco girl & Taco Girl's main top:
View attachment 162203 View attachment 162204

-SSF-
It kind of looks like overwatering, but could be a slight nitrogen surplus... I'd skip next feeding and see how she acts... Jmo!:confused:

From what I can see, it is only a few leaves affected right?
I think they look good, the other peeps see more then I do.
Good luck Sensi.

Thanks all 3 of you for the advice!
Gixxer, the soil looked dry today but I went ahead and let it be, didn't water today. Tomorrow I will water her with just plain water (the others still get fed).

AM, yea I checked the runoff every couple weeks and is pretty much always right at 6.0 This plant was repotted (I'm estimating) 14 days before flower but no I did not flush before flower.

Rosebud, yea I may be making a mountain out of a molehill. Maybe the other plant from seed is just more vigorous. But if this continues it is going to make it an easy decision which female Diesel I keep clones of.

Thanks again, all 3 of you.

(EDIT: I had to work a lot today and over the next few days, hopefully I can get home for some pics before the lights go out tomorrow).

-SSF-

SSF, i just wanted to say that i read through your entire journal today and i think it is extremely well put together. That sux about the HB but you ended up with some awesome looking ladies. Thanx for the good read.

AluminumMonster said:
SSF, i just wanted to say that i read through your entire journal today and i think it is extremely well put together. That sux about the HB but you ended up with some awesome looking ladies. Thanx for the good read.

that's why I did the journal. I have learned so much from this place that I wanted to at least try and give something back. There are a lot of people here that know a lot more than I do but if I could get at least one person to take something from my attempt to give back it would make the journal worth it. Thanks AM.

-SSF-

Hi everyone!:D

The two NYCD are on day #30 of flower, roughly 40 days to go so almost halfway there. After almost two feet of vertical growth over the first 16 days of flower they have completely shut down stretching and are bulking up.

Gixxerman, I didn't water the one diesel with taco leaves yeasterday even though the soil looked dry and the pot was light. She looks better today and her taco leaves seem to be uncurling, maybe I was overwatering her. I am going to water her today a little because the soil is dry but I am going to give her just plain H2O in case I was feeding her too much.

Other than the one plant with taco leaves, I have not seen any other problems and I am happy with the development of the plants so far. I am never going to grow another LA Ultra this big again though, it is a monster and it takes up a ton of space. It stretched like the Diesels stretched.

LA Ultra on Day #16 of flower:

(As usual, the 2-liter soda bottle is there to give scale to the pictures)
3-13-2011 003.JPG 3-13-2011 004.JPG

The 2 Sensi Stars, unlike the LA Ultra and NYC Diesels, have not stretched nearly as much. The growth is so dense I bet I could trim them into shapes. They are also on Day #16 of flower:
3-13-2011 024.JPG 3-13-2011 025.JPG 3-13-2011 026.JPG 3-13-2011 027.JPG

And here are the two NYC Diesels at Day #30 of flower:
3-13-2011 011.JPG 3-13-2011 012.JPG 3-13-2011 021.JPG 3-13-2011 022.JPG

For those of you that have read the whole journal you know that I am trying to cross an LA Ultra male I had with my Sensi Star girls and one of the NYC Diesels. I have already done the NYC and when I looked today I notcied seeds starting to grow where I painted on the pollen. I checked all the buds around the area I painted on the pollen and found no other seeds growing so it appears to have gone perfectly.
3-13-2011 008.JPG 3-13-2011 009.JPG

I went ahead and did the same process that I described earlier in my journal to cross the LA Ultra males pollen I had collected with one of the Sensi Star girls I have. I used the exact same method, painting on pollen with a Q-tip.

-SSF-

Oh yeah!!! Pushing out those seeds now!!! WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

How short do your Sensi Stars stay?

I'm getting 2 clones of her in a week and I'm pretty sure they stay under 4 feet.

420_Osborn said:
Oh yeah!!! Pushing out those seeds now!!! WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

How short do your Sensi Stars stay?

I'm getting 2 clones of her in a week and I'm pretty sure they stay under 4 feet.

Thanks for checking out the journal 420_Osborn!!

I'm not sure how various the pheno expressions are in the SensiStar but mine stay really short. I find it to be very "Indica" like in growth, very little stretch, and the fan leaves do not get nearly as large as the other strains I have grown. It is a great indoor strain IMO. The two I am growing right now started flower at 2 feet tall and will finish under 3 feet, but they were topped. The last grow I did some that were not topped (submitted pic for BPOTM:D ). I grew those in 3 and 5 gallon pots, started flower at about 16 inches and they finished around 3 feet as well.

-SSF-

:holysheep: :eek: :holysheep: :eek: :holysheep: :eek: :holysheep: :eek: :doh:

So everything was fine in the flowering closet last night when the lights went out, and today I was up before the lights came on. I wanted to grab something in the closet with the plants but waited until a minute or two before the lights came on. When I went into the closet this is what I saw. Somehow the 6" to 4" reducer had come unsealed from the end of one of my two cooltubes. I'm glad I noticed it before the lights came on, it would have been pretty hot in there pretty fast. I fixed it up and checked over all the other seals. I use duct clamps but for some reason this one just failed.

odd 002.JPG

-SSF-

Latest posts

Back