Auto's Done Carty's Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this an interesting read.

I'm a senior female who has been growing all sorts of plants, bushes, trees my whole life. I learned it from my first generation American mom who grew everything too. When a plant like marijuana, which is a terpenoid, (produces resin no differently than a pine tree), gets to the stage that it is flowering/budding, the plant pretty much ceases to grow. At this stage all plant's energy is going toward producing seed be it in the form of fruit, vegetable, flowers, buds. Every living thing is programmed to PROCREATE if nothing else. Any plant in stress, a tree that is dying, a plant in it's final stages will quickly try to procreate as much as possible.

We prevent female marijuana plants from being pollinated and seeding so buds continue to swell in the hope of being pollinated and the plant procreating. The big marijuana leaves on the plant at this stage are doing nothing but taking resin away from the buds. The plant itself should no longer be growing because it's reached it's pot size potential and we've forced it to bud. The buds are what people want to smoke not leaves, so pinch them off. Use the sticky leaves to make butter, or hash. As for the resin in the plant, it's now known that higher temps, increased sunlight, and decreased water supply really motivate terpenoids to produce resin.

Pinching out the big marijuana leaves allows:

Light and heat to hit all budding sights
Keeps the plant drier signaling more resin production (the hydro in THC is a clue) to protect and nourish the swelling buds.
Alerts the plant that a herbivore may be eating it. Resin is a plants defense. Most critters do NOT like the taste of resin and therefore the plant will produce even more resin.
Allows all the good juju (resin) to go right to the buds and not on the leaves, which no one wants to smoke.

Think about it. Everything in my yard perennials, bushes, trees, herbs, roses, vegetables get thinned out once, twice, some three times over the summer or they suffer. I've flowered a 4 ft. lime tree in a pot. I've got gardenia's blooming on a giant 3 ft bush in my living room in MI right now. Always remember that the top of any plant in a pot cannot grow beyond the root system that supports it so once the plant/tree is mature, cutting back/pinching is necessary, repotting is NOT because part of forcing any plant to bloom is letting it become root bound, taking away light, and restricting water supply. This makes the plant bloom faster and more vigorously because it's all it can do. It must produce seed to maintain the species despite its dire conditions (starvation) and will do it every time.

Last edited:
The leafy parts of the fern leaves on the supafreaks shrivel up in flower. I wonder if that's an adaptation to facilitate procreation...

Veg
1711284258039.png

Flower
1711284275812.png

I'm a senior female who has been growing all sorts of plants, bushes, trees my whole life. I learned it from my first generation American mom who grew everything too. When a plant like marijuana, which is a terpenoid, (produces resin no differently than a pine tree), gets to the stage that it is flowering/budding, the plant pretty much ceases to grow. At this stage all plant's energy is going toward producing seed be it in the form of fruit, vegetable, flowers, buds. Every living thing is programmed to PROCREATE if nothing else. Any plant in stress, a tree that is dying, a plant in it's final stages will quickly try to procreate as much as possible.

We prevent female marijuana plants from being pollinated and seeding so buds continue to swell in the hope of being pollinated and the plant procreating. The big marijuana leaves on the plant at this stage are doing nothing but taking resin away from the buds. The plant itself should no longer be growing because it's reached it's pot size potential and we've forced it to bud. The buds are what people want to smoke not leaves, so pinch them off. Use the sticky leaves to make butter, or hash. As for the resin in the plant, it's now known that higher temps, increased sunlight, and decreased water supply really motivate terpenoids to produce resi

Keeps the plant drier signaling more resin production (the hydro in THC is a clue) to protect and nourish the swelling buds.
Alerts the plant that a herbivore may be eating it. Resin is a plants defense. Most critters do NOT like the taste of resin and therefore the plant will produce even more resin.
Allows all the good juju (resin) to go right to the buds and not on the leaves, which no one wants to smoke.

Think about it. Everything in my yard perennials, bushes, trees, herbs, roses, vegetables get thinned out once, twice, some three times over the summer or they suffer. I've flowered a 4 ft. lime tree in a pot. I've got gardenia's blooming on a giant 3 ft bush in my living room in MI right now. Always remember that the top of any plant in a pot cannot grow beyond the root system that supports it so once the plant/tree is mature, cutting back/pinching is necessary, repotting is NOT because part of forcing any plant to bloom is letting it become root bound, taking away light, and restricting water supply. This makes the plant bloom faster and more vigorously because it's all it can do. It must produce seed to maintain the species despite its dire conditions (starvation) and will do it every time.
An old Australian grower explained all this to me years ago and I never hesitated to take leaf afterwards. I can't tell ya how many times I heard the...Ya know those leaves are like solar panels speech...Your hurting your plants doing that...ughh Indoors it's even more important to remove leaf. It helps air circulation and light penetration. Minor adjustments like leaf removal helps keep a manageable environment. In my head it's not normal for cannabis to grow indoors so if it takes a little leaf removal to move things along..then I'm all in.

Pa-Nature is the leaf stripping God.... and who taught me by watching him to never be afraid to leaf strip...

Pa Veg's his plants longer then most, so by the time he flips his plants they are a few months old and
have really filled in nicely. Flips them to 12/12 and after they begin to show the first sign of preflower he leaf strips them down to looking like sticks. People ragged on him saying, dude, your killing your plants.. he just kept saying, just watch.
Proved them all wrong and everyone began copying him yet were most afraid of taking it as far as he does...

I gave mine it's big haircut last night... then sat down and fell asleep. grrrrrr..

IMG_20240320_205635.jpg

now
IMG_20240324_193608.jpg

and obviously I could of removed more huh? but by the time I was done I had a pile of leaf on my counter took me both hands to gather up and toss away...

Culled the 2nd Samsquach plant... burnt the crap out of it trying something new and stupid... using Espoma plant starter plus unlike it's designed for... direct contact to roots upon up potting like it's a rooting innoculant or something, dumbarse. So, one thing I know about Autos, they never recover like a photo period will due to it's life cycle.
Dropped 2 more GDP Autos in it's 3gal pot see if they take...

The 2 remaining are impressive and doing quite well....
IMG_20240324_193636.jpg

They look better than mine.
Kinid of funny we are both battling the same issues though huh? Soil. If we don't find a steady source of the same soil each run, out battles will continue. I think I might check with my local walmart and order what I need from now on and just go pick it up. The biggest reason I stopped shopping at Walmart's, Lowes etc etc is..... they store their soils outside in the elements. If your using the stuff outdoors it's not big deal, indoors however, bugs bugs bugs.. eggs are laid in all these bags of soil and we hatch them soon as we begin to use the medium.... outdoors you have natural predator bugs that eat these suckers...

Let ya know what I find ok....

Iced Latte is mad covered in trichomes. One of the frostiest plants I've seen in many a years... I have 2 seeds left, fem's.... so next time I'll be dusting her to make seeds.. finishes fast and talk about stink... peeeeuuuuu..
IMG_20240325_120633.jpg

IMG_20240325_112811.jpg

Day #54

The biggest surprise though is the Maestro plant by Urban Legends gifted to me by @420noob... my biggest supporter of auto seeds.. you rock brother.

IMG_20240325_120256.jpg
IMG_20240325_120310.jpg

She is very Sativa and shows it in her leaf structure... this is how you grow a very large Auto... find a hybrid and get lucky enough to get a pheno that leans towards the Sativa side of things... takes much longer to show sex allowing it so size up a bit.... she is 55 days old here and many Autos might be already trying to finish at this point... like my Iced Latte....

Not feeling to good, wife been sick all day so I over did it today... so I'm signing out early and really need to get some rest... she suffers from IBS and she at a strong gummie last night her IBS decided it did not like.
poor girl, cannot take pain pills, no edibles, just smoking weed... and my biggest reason for my hobby, my lovely wife Ladybug... night friends..

Not feeling to good, wife been sick all day so I over did it today... so I'm signing out early and really need to get some rest... she suffers from IBS and she at a strong gummie last night her IBS decided it did not like.
poor girl, cannot take pain pills, no edibles, just smoking weed... and my biggest reason for my hobby, my lovely wife Ladybug... night friends..
Stay well to all in the Carty Family, Hope that new pump is helping Bro.

Thanks y'all... things are a wee bit better in the Carty house... ugh. your so right Jan, and with my girl having IBS issues since about 5, for almost 36yrs of our marriage she has battled morning sickness. keep telling her to change her diet, I think going vegetarian would help her a lot but she's a chicken & tator tots/french fries or onion rings kind of gal. I did get her off of potato chips and that was a big challenge... although she does arrive home with the biggie bags in her purse... LOL. so cute. she makes a ground chicken and grinds cooked bacon and caramelized onions into the grind.. On a brioche' bun are to die for. (cooking shows).. lol

Stepped on the scale tonight and have taken off another 9lbs... down from 336 to 289 and going.. my goal is to be close as I can to 220 by summers end. I was 200lbs no fat when I graduated HS.. hey, I'm a big dude built like NFL Linebacker with the speed of a wide receiver.. no joke, I played Def cornerback and covered them... my own team mates hated to practice against me saying I hit to hard.. hahahaha... to short to go pro....

Let's talk some growing now... hehe.

Iced Latte, run don't walk to get ya some of this... omg. cut her down at 57 days, mostly to make room and she was just beginning to show some ambering. one of her tips dried fast to I plucked it and of course, tested it.. the flavor of this stuff is the first time I'll say this out loud. "Better then Bubba" in taste. I wasn't to impressed with her in early veg, size, so I didn't hit her with pollen.. although she should show a seed or 2 just from rubbing the others... All I can say peeps is I'm so happy I have 2 more of these feminized seeds to play with...
Thinking of hitting her with Gabagoo instead of Beast Mode... if I can get a Sour60 pheno to breed to this Iced Latte it will be a game changer maybe for my Gabagoo selections...
Iced Latte omg.jpg
IMG_20240325_113358.jpg
IMG_20240320_193158.jpg
IMG_20240320_193143.jpg

We prevent female marijuana plants from being pollinated and seeding so buds continue to swell in the hope of being pollinated and the plant procreating. The big marijuana leaves on the plant at this stage are doing nothing but taking resin away from the buds. The plant itself should no longer be growing because it's reached it's pot size potential and we've forced it to bud. The buds are what people want to smoke not leaves, so pinch them off. Use the sticky leaves to make butter, or hash. As for the resin in the plant, it's now known that higher temps, increased sunlight, and decreased water supply really motivate terpenoids to produce resin.

After re-reading this.. I hear myself in this quote.

I have been preaching so much of this over the years. I always called it "Line of Sight".

Here is a fine example.

IMG_20240310_204124.jpg

By removing all the leaf starred in the photo below, using some string to pull the branches apart a bit, you open up the tops/canopy and allow the branches to fill in more stem to stern.
IMG_20240310_204124.jpg

Same plant now spread out using the string, and as you can see, needs a haircut something fierce...
I allow my plants to begin preflower fully prior to leaf stripping so as to not retard the flowering trait.

IMG_20240320_205619.jpg

IMG_20240320_173331.jpg

Let's talk some growing now... hehe.

Iced Latte, run don't walk to get ya some of this... omg. cut her down at 57 days, mostly to make room and she was just beginning to show some ambering. one of her tips dried fast to I plucked it and of course, tested it.. the flavor of this stuff is the first time I'll say this out loud. "Better then Bubba" in taste. I wasn't to impressed with her in early veg, size, so I didn't hit her with pollen.. although she should show a seed or 2 just from rubbing the others... All I can say peeps is I'm so happy I have 2 more of these feminized seeds to play with...
Thinking of hitting her with Gabagoo instead of Beast Mode... if I can get a Sour60 pheno to breed to this Iced Latte it will be a game changer maybe for my Gabagoo selections...
View attachment 354274View attachment 354275View attachment 354277View attachment 354278
Lays chips contain a bowel irritant and are particularly bad

Latest posts

Back