Big Bud - First Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here they are. New camera, hope they aren't messed up.

0101a.JPG

0101b.JPG

0101c.JPG

0101d.JPG

0101e.JPG

Any of the "naked eye" tests would be great as until this point I was under the assumption that all the hairs would need to be red when I harvested.

Holy crap mang those are some fine ladies you have there. ;) Nope all the hairs don't have to turn color for the plant to be ready for harvest. Keep an eye on the trichromes they will tell ya when to harvest. You can get a micrscope at Radio Shack for like $10.

Called Radioshack and they have a 60x microscope - that sound ok for trichrome diagnostics? Nobody else in this area has anything except 2x, cheap, magnifying glasses!

EDIT: Also wanted to add that all of the large leaves stemming from the colas are showing dying (orange/brown) tips. Getting nervous over here...

ProductiveSmoker said:
Called Radioshack and they have a 60x microscope - that sound ok for trichrome diagnostics? Nobody else in this area has anything except 2x, cheap, magnifying glasses!

EDIT: Also wanted to add that all of the large leaves stemming from the colas are showing dying (orange/brown) tips. Getting nervous over here...
Yup that will be fine to check your trichromes. How far are you into flower? Temps? Nutes? Watering? We tend to get plants every now and then that have browing tips but it never turns into anything bad. ;)

Thanks TBG - temps between 79-84 degrees, just did my last dose of nutes about 12/24 so it's only water from here on out, and I started flowering about 11/17 so I am at about week 7.

Just bought the 'microscope' from RadioShack and it works great, although you only have limited scope so it takes a while to get through the different plants and their test sites. So far I have taken two samples from mid-height and peripheral buds, no cola tests yet, and they appear quite cloudy in some and very clear on others. I will do some more and let you know how it looks.

Alright, just checked out a bunch more spots on the various girls and for the most part the trichromes are cloudy. There are quite a few clear ones on some of the lower bud leaves but I did see a couple (2/10) that were almost a bright red towards the cola of one of the plants.

I guess now it's just a game of observations and keeping tabs on them. I clipped off about half an eighth before I bought the microscope so that is drying and we'll see what it does. It was about half cloudy and half clear.

If I decide to take off the colas first as they may turn out to be ready before the rest of the plant/s, can I just clip it off with a scissors or is there a proper protocol? Really want to get that heady, energetic high for some but also keep some around that is a little more mature for the evenings.

ProductiveSmoker said:
Alright, just checked out a bunch more spots on the various girls and for the most part the trichromes are cloudy. There are quite a few clear ones on some of the lower bud leaves but I did see a couple (2/10) that were almost a bright red towards the cola of one of the plants.

I guess now it's just a game of observations and keeping tabs on them. I clipped off about half an eighth before I bought the microscope so that is drying and we'll see what it does. It was about half cloudy and half clear.

If I decide to take off the colas first as they may turn out to be ready before the rest of the plant/s, can I just clip it off with a scissors or is there a proper protocol? Really want to get that heady, energetic high for some but also keep some around that is a little more mature for the evenings.
Yup if ya just wanna harvest the cola's just cut them off but be sure and use sterile scissors. ;)

What's up all? I am still stuck in flowering but I am seeing results. These things are getting fat! Only in the last couple of days I have started seeing the lower branches bending over due to bud weight (remember earlier when I was unimpressed because that wasn't happening?).

Trichromes are turning VERY SLOWLY! The tops of the plants have probably 30% red but the rest of the plants are going very slowly, I only see the reds every once in a while. The red hairs visible to the naked eye are still un-withered and growth continues slowly so I think I am still ok. I have been watching those trichromes like a hawk. I am now at week 11 of flowering. One person said, at the end of December, that it looked like I had a week left. I wonder if the fact that I have five huge ladies and only one 400W HPS is having to do with the slow rate of change.

I have been drying small batches to test out and it is as strong as bag weed. I accidentally dried a bit too fast and while it gets you up, it tastes off and smells like hay before you smoke it. I will have to do more reading prior to the big cuts.

I will get you some pics later today. I have a great comparison shot of the cola that is the pic in the top left of the last post I put up with pics.

Wow, I really noticed looking at the two shots of the plant by the thermometer/hydrometer that the white "hairs" have really receded back into the plant to form the buds just the way I read about. Really cool comparison. Here are some more for your viewing pleasure!

0120c.JPG

0120d.JPG

0120g.JPG

0120h.JPG

Very very nice!!!

My grow is close to the same age as yours only I'm growing Northern Lights x Big Bud hydroponically. I've also taken one cola off and dried it, I still have a week to go, looking at the trichomes and keeping to my grow plan. I am just starting my 11th week flowering. It is so hard to keep my hands off them...

Enjoy watching your grow journal... keep it up! :peace:

Thank you, Ravishing 68!

OK, I yanked one of them on the 27th because it was about 30-40% reds and I just wanted to get some "practice" for the other plants. Trimmed off the major leaves/branches and left the small stuff. It has been hanging in the bathroom with light interruptions inevitable (probably 15 mins total light, 6 interruptions a day, took out extra light bulbs). At times it starts to get the hay smell when I put my nose to it, but luckily since it's in the bathroom I can control the humidity pretty easily. It stays a bit more humid in there than the rest of the arid climate around here, and we are now at day three or four of hanging and the lower bud tips are feeling dry and the branches are almost crackling when you bend them.

Here are pics of when I first cut it, then what is left after I cut off the branches, then the four that are left, then two shots of how yellow the leaves are getting on the rear left plalnt.

0127a.JPG

0127b.JPG

0130a.JPG

0130b.JPG

0130c.JPG

And there's more...

I took a couple shots today of the hanging lady I discussed above. The leaves left are wilting up and I would like to have some help here with your opinions.

Do I take off any more, how much, etc?

0130d.JPG

0130e.JPG

0130f.JPG

Whats up PS. Looks like a nice harvest man and by the looks of things more to come. We usually trim all the leaves off the buds so they are nice and tight but i have seen other people leave them on. I guess it all depends on the grower. Great job on the grow. ;)

if you cut them off you will have as pure green as they come if you will be seling it (which is illegal and people on this forum don't do that ) you will get more weight , bud idea (personaly ) cut them of man

Wow man, that looks like some great smoke. Congradulations on your excellent grow. I'm also using a 400 watt HPS. I hope to have as good of a grow as you have.

Latest posts

Back