Candles for CO2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disagreeing with you doesn't mean anybody is upset my friend. Just means they disagree respectfully. Most here dont need a safe space with chocolate when the disagree,, they just have different opinions. Hang around and you will see what im talking about.
If you think candles work then thats awesome. Do you make your own?
I wonder if Bees wax candles would produce more or less CO2 than Parafin ones?

I’ve always wanted to pipe my water heater vent in there

Wouldn’t that be CO not CO2?
I believe it’s the color of the flame that dictates monoxide vs dioxide. If I remember right - When all of a fuel is burnt it’s a blue flame. This creates CO2 water and heat. When it’s a bright red orange flame this produces CO, CO2, water, and heat and is incomplete combustion.

I believe it’s the color of the flame that dictates monoxide vs dioxide. If I remember right - When all of a fuel is burnt it’s a blue flame. This creates CO2 water and heat. When it’s a bright red orange flame this produces CO, CO2, water, and heat.
There are some heaters that say they are safe to run ventless but always include the caveat that you need to have a open window or cracked open door

I believe it’s the color of the flame that dictates monoxide vs dioxide. If I remember right - When all of a fuel is burnt it’s a blue flame. This creates CO2 water and heat. When it’s a bright red orange flame this produces CO, CO2, water, and heat and is incomplete combustion.
I think you are right. The possibility of CO would be scary though.

Yes like this
Vent Free 30,000 BTU Blue Flame Natural Gas Heater (northlineexpress.com)
1652374494309.png

Just let your dog sleep in the grow room. If he's a plant eater, a muzzel is still cheaper than CO2 or propane : )

O.K. And Hick, like the new avitar lol!

Hi mate try find some of these and throw em in ur red or cut down to size and mix in with ur water. More than enough co2 for ya buddy at a fair price over any other way. Have a look at my thread if u like
20220511_134701.jpg

Disagreeing with you doesn't mean anybody is upset my friend. Just means they disagree respectfully. Most here dont need a safe space with chocolate when someone disagrees with them,, they just have different opinions. Hang around and you will see what im talking about.
If you think candles work then thats awesome, by all means use them. Do you make your own?
you know there was some petty shit in this thread.
Do you think this is "respectfully disagreeing"?
If you know anything about growing or this site, you wouldn't be questioning THG. If you want to lite candles in your grow be my guest. I would love to buy cheap fire damaged housing.......EDIT
If you and I do a duplicate grow, you will see NO BENEFIT from candles, and I would love to buy your property once it is fire damaged and worth less than half what it would be worth otherwise.......really, please light a bunch of candles around your grow. When you burn down your house it will make my bud worth that much more.

Please send me your adress so that I can contact your realtor after you damage your house with fire. I could use the extra money....EDIT

Tell you what, I will offer you 50% of the value of yor home after you burn down most of it...jst to show I am a nice guy.....
Ah i was gonna only bold what i consider petty, but then, it's the entire post.

As a respected member of the forum, do you think this is ok?
There was a new person potentially contributing to this community and the math honestly seems quite on point, smart one.
Then they asked a (maybe misguided question) but rather than engaging with them, some met them with outright hostility and sarcasm.

They explicitly said that they're feeling not well received.

Guess what, they never became active.

That's also my piece on it.

GL to you all

You don't like it here so I will help you move on asshat. You quoted a post from a member that hasnt been here in forever and then decided to talk shit about members that had nothing to do with it.. This is an old thread you resurrected.
Your just looking to start shit. Go somewhere else and be a smart ass. 2 post and nothing but trying to start shit.
Fking trolls piss me off. He was looking for trouble and found it.

Last edited:
I have no exhaust as of yet, just crack the door on my room when lights on. My plants grow outstanding. My exhaust is already ran into my chimney and I will add a fan once they start to stink up the place. Smell is mild right now and I live in the country. Plants that naturally adapted through Millennia to grow with the amount of CO2 that's in the air. Unless you're in an industrial 100% controlled environment I think you're wasting your time.

Attachments

• 20220511_164226.jpg
    20220511_164226.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 4
These calculations should settle whether or not the amount of CO2 from a candle is useful for growing. It uses no more than high school chemistry and maths:

My grow cupboard is 0.5m x 0.45m x 1.5m = 0.337m^3 = 337 litre
Formula for candle-wax (typical) is C25H52
Atomic Mass: Oxygen 16g, Hydrogen 1g, Carbon 12g per mole
Molecular Mass: CO2 44g per mole
Equation for burning wax in air: C25H52 + 38O2 -> 25CO2 + 26H20
Volume of 1 mole gas 22.4 litre

Ambient CO2 level 300part per million (ppm)
Ideal CO2 level for growing 1500ppm
amount of CO2 to add to air for ideal growing: 1200ppm

Mass of 1 tealight candle 10g (my estimate)
duration of burn 4 hours (as printed on side of packet)
rate that wax burns: 2.5g/hour
cost of candle 11cent
Assume: all wax is fully burnt to CO2 and water

Wax contains C(25 x 12g) / (C(25 x 12g) + H(52 x 1g)) x 100 = 85% carbon
Therefore when 2.5g wax is burnt, 85% x 2.5g /12g(atomic weight C) = 0.177 mole C is burnt
to produce 0.177 mole of CO2
Volume of 0.177 mole CO2 is 0.177 x 22.4 litre = 3.96 litre CO2

which raises the following volume of air up by 1200ppm: 3.96 x 1000000 / 1200 = 3300 litre

3300/337(Volume of cupboard) gives 9.8 full air changes at 1500ppm per hour, for burning 1 candle. I think thats quite a good rate, but if I need more airflow then the CO2 level will just go down a bit towards but always above ambient.

I hope that clarifies that part (I also hope I didn't do any maths blunders - I am rusty)

Now to the other bit, assuming that I (or any other intrepid builder) can construct a growroom without burning their housesdown, would the candles pose any other problems I may have missed, and has anyone tried this yet to see if it works? I'm trying to connect with any DIY tinkerers who may have experimented with CO2 assisted growing. I can't believe that I'd be the first to try, surely someone has had a go and feels like reporting back - even if to say it didnt do much for the bother?

In terms of excess heat being generated, Hemp_Goddess and others: I plan to use 2 x 55w cfl, and the Red/Blue UFO 660nm growlamp (90w) that just arrived today.
I ran all of the lights for a couple of hours and the temp sat nicely in the high 20s (Celcius) before I've even built the extractor. So assuming that I'm using enough light to grow a few small plants, there won't be a heat problem for me (its cold in the room the grow cupboard is in, its winter now (southern hemisphere)).

My present downer is that the old unknown seeds I've scored have been sitting on damp rockwool for a week now showing no interest in germinating but thats another story :(

BTW I make no claim at all to being an expert. This will be my very first indoor grow, I'll have heaps of questons to ask, will often be in need of help
and am really pleased to have found this forum
Cheers
I know smoking the right bud makes you creative but damn 😉.

I love to see her doing this. I think she is glad we moved the tent in her room. She seems to love the smell 😁
My dog likes my brownies. He is old and has a hard time getting around but a small piece of brownie and he is in puppy mode for a while then zonks out. I know, I know. Chocolate is poison for dogs. I looked it up and it is poisonous in large quantities and he is 100 lbs. Been giving a nibble to my dogs for years with no ill effects but plenty of good. I was scolded on here years ago when I said I give my dog some brownie. Someone who claimed she was a goddess was the culprit. Old members will know the offender…

Latest posts

Back