Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How’s your new tent set up crash? I like the spiders. I’ve only had them guarding my outdoor plants so far. Lucky at the moment not to have any buggs not even gnats in either tent. I’m trying to make sure I don’t bring anything in but you know how that goes…
New tent is working well, so far. I had to leave it open during the day last week to keep the temperature below 80 deg, but this time of year I'm not running the AC in the shop. Anyway, it's amazing how many plants I can wedge into a 4X4 space. It's going to be more difficult than ever to keep the number of plants below the limit : )

I'm really hoping those spiders eat spider mites and thrips. I will be breeding them as well if they do!

Still struggling with grafting. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is yet. I'm not discouraged at all, though. The list of what doesn't work is getting longer as the list of what might work is getting shorter. Sooner or later I will find something to place in the list of stuff that does work : )

The leaves on this one stayed green for a while, but died over the last few days. When I took it apart there was no cohesion at all between the branches. I'm convinced I cut and spliced them correctly, though. I may have just wrapped it too many times according to several sites I've visited.

gr06.jpg

gr07.jpg

On the theory of over wrapping, I took this one apart and re-wrapped it with just two layers of tape. The leaves are still relatively green and moist, but it's definitely running out of time. I thought this was the most promising attempt when I first set it up, but I guess not.

gr08.jpg

gr09.jpg

Hi CrashMagnet,
It’s cool how you’re always experimenting! If you don’t mind me asking, what is the goal of grafting? Does it actually result in combined plant DNA or some other major change to the plant? Why graft with Apple and ficus trees? Thanks in advance….it looks really interesting and I’m just looking to understand better.

Oh, and there’s an entire Facebook site dedicated to people raising those small “jumping spiders” if you’re interested. They might be able to identify his/her species. I have a nice fungus gnat population that I’ll gladly donate to his meal plan.

How’s your new tent set up crash? I like the spiders. I’ve only had them guarding my outdoor plants so far. Lucky at the moment not to have any buggs not even gnats in either tent. I’m trying to make sure I don’t bring anything in but you know how that goes…
If I had those in my grow, I'd set the tent on fire and move away.

Hi CrashMagnet,
It’s cool how you’re always experimenting! If you don’t mind me asking, what is the goal of grafting? Does it actually result in combined plant DNA or some other major change to the plant? Why graft with Apple and ficus trees? Thanks in advance….it looks really interesting and I’m just looking to understand better.

Oh, and there’s an entire Facebook site dedicated to people raising those small “jumping spiders” if you’re interested. They might be able to identify his/her species. I have a nice fungus gnat population that I’ll gladly donate to his meal plan.
Thanks. I'm always messing with something. Growing stuff is just the next obsession since I got bored with whatever I was obsessed with before : )

Grafting doesn't change the genetics, so you can graft several strains on to one root base and it only counts legally as one plant. That was my original goal. Then I started looking at grafting to provide a better root base for an otherwise slow growing plant. But mostly I'm doing it because it's something interesting to do.

I do need to learn how to graft a compatible strain of apple tree to the one I'm growing. They only produce fruit if they are pollinate by a compatible but different strain of apple tree, and I only have room for one tree..

I will have to check out the jumping spider breeders page. That could be a cool new obsession : )

When I started this grafting thing I got some parafilm grafting tape off Amazon, because that's what many others said they used. But what I got was a bunch of rolls of cellophane, not even actual tape. I just discovered that it's fake, and Parafilm is an actual and very specific tape that's been around for years. It stretches and sticks to itself, and is permeable to allow air and water vapor to filter through.

I watched a guy on youtube use it to make numerous complex grafts of very small fragile cuttings with a near 100% success rate. I struggled to splice stuff much larger using that fake stuff, and of course, none of those grafts succeeded.

I could only find the real stuff on Amazon in bulk for an insulting price. Several other sites carry it, though, for not much more than the cost of the fake stuff. So hopefully, the next grafts will be more successful.

Real Parafilm
coop_4220.jpg

Fake Parafilm

61zPfrFROIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks. I'm always messing with something. Growing stuff is just the next obsession since I got bored with whatever I was obsessed with before : )

Grafting doesn't change the genetics, so you can graft several strains on to one root base and it only counts legally as one plant. That was my original goal. Then I started looking at grafting to provide a better root base for an otherwise slow growing plant. But mostly I'm doing it because it's something interesting to do.

I do need to learn how to graft a compatible strain of apple tree to the one I'm growing. They only produce fruit if they are pollinate by a compatible but different strain of apple tree, and I only have room for one tree..

I will have to check out the jumping spider breeders page. That could be a cool new obsession : )

i have seen pecan trees in Oklahoma that had 4 different varieties of pecans growing from grafting

I thought I was on the low side with the nutes, but I guess not. I fed the CSM twice over the weekend because some older leaves were turning a little yellow. It did have some tip burn, but nothing like this until tonight. Going to have to flush it if things progress much further. Wish the seeds would finish, so I could go straight to harvest.

csmb016.jpg

I've been working my way through this guy's grafting series. He's had some great success and explains exactly what he's doing and why. In this one he's talking about how fast he can get a graft to take from a cutting, and has it down to just 5 days. So you could have a root base, cannabis or anything else really, graft your cannabis cutting to it, and have it in the flower room just 5 days later. I've never come close to rooting a clone that fast. Seems like a big improvement on sexing a plant grown from regular seeds.

Finally getting some tip burn on the CSM plant. Some edge burn as well. I was starting to think it was immune to over feeding. I did have the lights turned down some due to the warm weather we're having here. Probably should have cut back on the nutes, oh well.

It's got some amber trichomes too, but many of the seeds need more time. They can take the whole month to finish if needed, I guess. I don't have anything waiting to go in there. I will add a drop cloth of some kind to catch any falling seeds that matured early.

View attachment 316676

View attachment 316677

View attachment 316679
On the freaks I pollinated, about half my seeds were immature. Mainly the ones highest and lowest on the bud. I am guessing that is because I continued to dust the females for a few weeks so I think the plants kept throwing up new pistils since they kept getting to ‘dance’ with the male. Have you checked any seed pods towards the middle of the buds?

New tent is working well, so far. I had to leave it open during the day last week to keep the temperature below 80 deg, but this time of year I'm not running the AC in the shop. Anyway, it's amazing how many plants I can wedge into a 4X4 space. It's going to be more difficult than ever to keep the number of plants below the limit : )

I'm really hoping those spiders eat spider mites and thrips. I will be breeding them as well if they do!
Have you heard of anyone getting popped for having a few more plants than they can legally? We can have 12 plants per household in MA but I have had more. Do they differentiate between veg and flower plants? The arbitrary number of allowed plants is kinda like the 6 ft of social distancing. Someone pulled that number out of their arse…

Latest posts

Back