Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just before I got sent back to Germany for a week I started the GDPA seeds from Carty intending on breeding them. They were still in the paper towel, but all had decent length roots. In a rush I stuck them in solo cups under the main lights with the THCB as shade. I thought they would be okay, but they looked badly light burned when I got back.

I've been nursing them along for several days, but two of them are starting to look hopeless. They are in larger pots with better draining soil now. Not much else I can do but wait and see <sigh>

1693099601486.png

1693099614554.png

1693099623910.png

1693099630835.png

1693099636083.png

Only three of the Granddaddy Purple Autos from Carty survived my neglect. I dropped a couple of feminized versions from MSNL and only one popped. I guess I'm going with four plants and hoping a get at least one male.

I also popped a Caramelicious Auto X Animal Cookies Purple Auto seed along with the GDPAs. It's another variegated version. Even though only one of the 4 or 5 Caramelicious autos I originally grew had that pattern, for some reason all of the crosses with ACPA have so far been that way. It's so consistent with only a single cross, maybe I could pretend it's a new strain and make up a name for it : )

1693441080686.png

My poor TCHB has returned to burning curling leaves. I have flushed it twice and both times I got new growth with what looked like under fed leaves, but within 5 days those leaves became dark green and started burning and curling. Since I'm only giving it water, it has to be the soil. Some of the younger seedlings and clones are also showing similar damage, even though I flushed the soil thoroughly before using it. Whatever it is doesn't rinse out easily. Very tempted to put the THCB it out of its misery. Not like I need the bud. Also tempted to just take it outside, dig a hole and plant it there. I can shake off most of the MG soil first, of course.

1693788346493.png

1693788490317.png

Had to fly to OK this week and leave the plants to take care of themselves. When I got back the poor THCB was looking even worse. A couple of lower branches off the main stalk had died completely, all the leaves were limp like I hadn't watered it in days. If it hadn't been after midnight when I got home, I probably would have tossed the whole plant, but decided to wait a day, and maybe try flushing one more time.

Last night I started flushing, and checked run off PH. I hadn't checked it in the past because I always watered with PH 6.0 water with nothing but a little cal-mag. I expected it to be pretty close to 6, so was surprised to see 4.4 on the PH meter! I got my back up meter which read 4.3. I guess the MG soil was even worse than I had thought. This was the forth, I think, flushing since I up-potted from 5 to 10 gallons and used that awful MG soil.

I flushed the 10 gallon pot with 12 5 gallon buckets of PH 7.0 hose water. I pumped the run off out as fast as I could, but by the end there was water all over the floor and I was soaked from slipping and falling twice. I got the PH up to 5.7, but after that it wouldn't budge. I'll give it a week, and if there's is some recovery I will try flushing again.

This morning I watered all the flowering plants to run off, and checked PH. These all have some of the new soil, but mixed at least 50/50 with the soil I had left over from the spring. The lowest PH was 5.8, but there is still some leaf damage on all of the plants that looks similar but not as severe as the damage to the THCB. I'm thinking they need to be flushed as well, but they are too big to move at this point. I will have to figure out a better method that doesn't end with water all over the floor.

It's hard to believe how much damage a couple of bags of potting soil caused. I still have an unopened 50 qt bag that went in the trash this morning. It makes me wonder about similar issues I've had in the past that might have been caused by inconsistant soil mixes. Next grow will be all hydro, or at least coco-perlite.

You could test that full bag you threw out to see if the PH is low right out of the bag. I had that problem with the FF strawberry soil. I switched to the frog soil which so far I haven’t had any PH problems but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed.

You could test that full bag you threw out to see if the PH is low right out of the bag. I had that problem with the FF strawberry soil. I switched to the frog soil which so far I haven’t had any PH problems but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed.
It had the same fine dark powder as the other two bags. That stuff didn't seem to get wet, but just floated on top of the water. That's probably why it's so hard to flush out of the pots. Whatever it is, I don't think the plants like it.

I have a couple of coco bricks soaking now. I'm going to plant a Supafreak in a perlite mix as a test. But I'm still leaning toward going back to just DWC grows for a while. They are a pain to setup, but once they get going I can leave them alone for weeks without issues. That will hopefully simplify things until this work travel fiasco settles down some.

Had to fly to OK this week and leave the plants to take care of themselves. When I got back the poor THCB was looking even worse. A couple of lower branches off the main stalk had died completely, all the leaves were limp like I hadn't watered it in days. If it hadn't been after midnight when I got home, I probably would have tossed the whole plant, but decided to wait a day, and maybe try flushing one more time.

Last night I started flushing, and checked run off PH. I hadn't checked it in the past because I always watered with PH 6.0 water with nothing but a little cal-mag. I expected it to be pretty close to 6, so was surprised to see 4.4 on the PH meter! I got my back up meter which read 4.3. I guess the MG soil was even worse than I had thought. This was the forth, I think, flushing since I up-potted from 5 to 10 gallons and used that awful MG soil.

I flushed the 10 gallon pot with 12 5 gallon buckets of PH 7.0 hose water. I pumped the run off out as fast as I could, but by the end there was water all over the floor and I was soaked from slipping and falling twice. I got the PH up to 5.7, but after that it wouldn't budge. I'll give it a week, and if there's is some recovery I will try flushing again.

This morning I watered all the flowering plants to run off, and checked PH. These all have some of the new soil, but mixed at least 50/50 with the soil I had left over from the spring. The lowest PH was 5.8, but there is still some leaf damage on all of the plants that looks similar but not as severe as the damage to the THCB. I'm thinking they need to be flushed as well, but they are too big to move at this point. I will have to figure out a better method that doesn't end with water all over the floor.

It's hard to believe how much damage a couple of bags of potting soil caused. I still have an unopened 50 qt bag that went in the trash this morning. It makes me wonder about similar issues I've had in the past that might have been caused by inconsistant soil mixes. Next grow will be all hydro, or at least coco-perlite.
Could you just use the MG bag to top dress your outdoor garden? Sorry. I hate throwing stuff away. I am not a hoarder despite what my wife thinks…😁

Could you just use the MG bag to top dress your outdoor garden? Sorry. I hate throwing stuff away. I am not a hoarder despite what my wife thinks…😁
I think that black powder might be some kind of mold. I don't know what else it could be or why it's in these bags and none of the others I bought in the past. I'm a little afraid to use it at this point.

I was gonna say...that surely looks like PH issues....

It grew a fair number of new leaves practically overnight. Some of the new ones have tip burn, but nothing like the older leaves. I'm going to flush it again tomorrow and check the run off PH. Going to add a double dose of EM1 as well. I don't usually use it, but at this point it can't hurt to try it.

1694286895455.png

1694286930360.png

Week six. I'm actually seeing some amber on the first one. Still having issues with the MG soil I mixed in. I will be glad when these are done.

1695048751905.png

1695048775809.png

1695048809619.png

Somehow I messed up the light timer on this one. It went from 24/0 to 18/6, started flowering then started re-vegging. I couldn't figure out why the buds were so small. I checked the timer this morning and saw what I did, so it will hopefully return to flower mode soon.
1695049080957.png

1695049096354.png

The first female jumping spider I've seen. She's not shy at all, and threatened to jump at my phone right after I took this. I need to find her some food, though, or she will move out. Is it strange to import bugs into a grow room just to keep the bug killers happy?

1695049260892.png

The BSHW seeds seem to do well in coco-perlite, or at least these did. The one in the middle is a Supafreak I started to use as a Christmas tree. The other 4 are (I believe) BSHW seeds I spilled into that pot aroound a month ago. Once I started watering the SF, the BSHW seeds also sprouted.

1695049503052.png

Latest posts

Back