Do Clones Have To Adjust To Outside?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowRebel

Another Female Grower
Reaction score
:ciao:If the outside temps are similar to the indoor grow temps can clones be put out and :watchplant:planted right away or do you have to let them adjust to being outside ... like bringing them out for a few hours then increasing the time out side ... if so why is this necessary? :confused:

Yes, Clones are very delicate plants until they have an established root structure. Ideally, any plant that you will be putting outdoors will have enough root and height to survive the shock. Mother nature can be pretty harsh sometimes.

Ideally, you will grow them to at least a foot tall and only bring them outdoors for ever increasing periods of time once they have established roots.

I would say that even with established root systems, you should place them somewhere where they are in the shade for a day or two to allow them to adjust to the massive amount of lumens that they will be receiving. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

Thanks for the input ... to clarify these are not fresh clones ... they are a couple of months old ... I have put them out in direct sunlight for several hours and they did fine ... I just have so many that it is difficult to take them in and out.

So what do you think?

I have put out clones of various sizes and ages. I like to plant my clones when several days of cloudy weather and LIGHT rain are forecast. This gives them a chance to root before full sun. They need lots of moisture during the rooting process.

I plan to plant these ladies of my this Wed. ... they seem to be handling being outside in the pots ... I haven't left them out all day, but I believe they can handle the transplant. We have cool temps ... but they seem to be able to handle it ... besides ... I have 22 plants for me and a couple of friends ... that too many to take in and out ... many are in one gallon pots so Wed will be the plant day for me ...:hubba:

Good luck with planting. As always if this is guerrilla farming, make sure you cross your T's, dot your I's, and plan for the worst.

Most of the ladies are in the ground ... I had an afternoon appointment so I have four more to put in ... ran out of the pro-mix and the place that carried it is out ... for good! The have a replacement they say is as good ... so we shall see ... I'll be going back out in a few minutes to finish ... will be taking pictures to see the progress ... :hubba:

All 11 of my ladies are in the ground include the hermie that everyone told me to get rid of ... 80% female is too precious to kill IMO ... I'll keep an eye on it ... if I can't keep the male pods under control I will pull it ... it set off from the ladies ... but just in case ... I keep watch.

This year's line up ... 2 of my finest ladies ... the ones I almost lost for good:eek: ... Electric Blue ... 2 CheeseXFox47 ... one BlockheadXLove Potion#1 ... 2 lovebud ... 1 Bigbud ... one Northern Light ... the Swt#3 hermie 80% female ... and the sweet OZ indica ... Looking foward to late Sept ... early Oct.:farm:

Ladies and gentlemen of the board ... I would just like to express my joy at being able to grow outside ... I truly feel bless to exprience something so wonderful ... I just love growing outside:watchplant: ... been growing inside since 98 ... 10 years now ... wow:shocked: ... but it's so thrilling to see my girls taller than 2.5ft-3ft ... I love it :hubba:... if you haven't grown outside and have the opportunity to do so ... DO IT ... it is a complete and total joy:woohoo: ... after you got all the holes dugs that is ... oh my aching back! :D

I will take picture every month to record progress of the grow ...
Here's a couple of three pictures ...

CheeseFox.JPG

All 11 of my ladies are in the ground include the hermie that everyone told me to get rid of ... 80% female is too precious to kill IMO ... I'll keep an eye on it ... if I can't keep the male pods under control I will pull it ... it set off from the ladies ... but just in case ... I keep watch.

This year's line up ... 2 of my finest ladies ... the ones I almost lost for good:eek: ... Electric Blue ... 2 CheeseXFox47 ... one BlockheadXLove Potion#1 ... 2 lovebud ... 1 Bigbud ... one Northern Light ... the Swt#3 hermie 80% female ... and the sweet OZ indica ... Looking foward to late Sept ... early Oct.:farm:

Ladies and gentlemen of the board ... I would just like to express my joy at being able to grow outside ... I truly feel bless to exprience something so wonderful ... I just love growing outside:watchplant: ... been growing inside since 98 ... 10 years now ... wow:shocked: ... but it's so thrilling to see my girls taller than 2.5ft-3ft ... I love it :hubba:... if you haven't grown outside and have the opportunity to do so ... DO IT ... it is a complete and total joy:woohoo: ... after you got all the holes dugs that is ... oh my aching back! :D

I will take picture every month to record progress of the grow ...
Here's a couple of three pictures ...

AnotherEB.JPG

Austriaindica.JPG

Bigbud.JPG

GL and keep us posted! I woulda ditched the hermie. I'd much prefer sensi then the risk of seeds. Even if its a sweet#3. :)

On the plus side, you have my favorite strain, NL! Im a sucker for the fine NL that i've had in the past.

Oh oh ... didn't mean to make the double post ... yeah ... I know a lot of folks would do that, but I've been out for too long ... I had a hermie outside last year and got not seed from my ladies ... :hubba:

NL has been in my garden for years now ... and more years to come ... :D

:ciao:Well I checked out my girls today and they are so friggin happy to be outside :fly:... even though it's only 52 degrees ... it's like they are saying ... what is that bright light? ... I must reach my leave up to touch it! ... :giggle:

It got to a low of 40 this morning ... They are all perked up and standing tall ... this is going to be a wonderful grow year ...:watchplant:

God bless each and every pot garden on earth!:farm:

when I clone after there rooted i keep them inside for about a week then for the next week i keep them in my window seal and put them outside for a couple of hours each day............... then i put them in their spots outside

This year I didn't do the gradual thang ... I just put them out for a few days for a few hours ...six or more ... then the day before I planted them I left them outside all night ... the clones were a couple of months old or more ... so they had a good root system establish ... I would not have done this with new clones of course ... but I figure clones this age would handle the transition ...

... so far so good ... :watchplant::giggle:

Okay ... I got the Super Silver Haze that I planted on the 13 of April ... I sex it and it's a girl ... I want to put her outside ... In fact I have her outside now in full sun to see how she handle's it ... so far she is ... I had her out yesterday for a few hours ... If she can handle the full sun can I plant her tonight? Temps are warm ... but it was a lot warmer ... hot ... on the flower level in my grow closet ... all most lost her to a damn woodchuck ... I had her in a wheel barrow where I plan to plant her ... I saw the SOB stand up to try and get it ... scared it away ... I'm going to use a wire fence ... plant to bury it deep and use long hook to keep it in the ground so woody can't get to it ... so what do you guys think? Tonight ok?

Cool Rebel.....i put my clones out when they have been in a three inch pot (soil) for bout a week after the cloner (am kinda new at making clones tho). I did chicken wire round my grow area, keeps the deer out...glad i dont have wood chucks to worry bout. Good luck to you, and will be watching.

My cuttings, including a 4" one with no roots, went from indoors to 100F outside in one day. They seem to be rooting well and doing fine after 3 weeks. I wish I had read this thread before I did that. I hope it doesn't cause any long term growth problems.
The pictures are in my journal link in my sig.

This plant is almost two months old ... I left it outside in direct sunlight and it seems to be ok ... I'll be putting it in the ground tonight ...

Latest posts

Back