First EVER Grow - Prototype grow box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MosesPMG

Reaction score
So I decided to make a GJ because I am germing a kush seed I got from the last 8th I bought.
This is continuation of the thread I started in GR Setup and Design, so if you are continuing this journey with me then welcome back, and if not, :welcome:

-my prototype grow box is a cardboard box 1.5' wide and 3.5' tall.

I have been germing my seed since last night in a 4" plastic container wrapped in a moist paper towel, and it is sitting under a 42w(150w) 2700k, 2600 lumen cfl. I am getting 2 more 42w cfls to make it a total of 7800 lumens

I bought all organic soil with as few nutes in it as possible - can I do some sort of flushing to the soil to get some nutes out?

DISCLAIMER - I am going into this knowing there is a REALLY good chance I will have to start all over due to some fundamental error on my part, but I am using this as a 100% learning opportunity, trying to learn what will work, and what I need to make better.
-I am making my final box 2.5' wide and 4.5' tall and definitely not using cardboard, and I am getting a 400W hps.

I will post pics as soon as the seed germs
-all advise is much appreciated

So after 36 hrs germing my kush seed isnt doing anything so I decided to start germing 2 other bagseeds I have - nothing special tho.

Hopefully one of them will pop!

Don't get nervous just yet! I germ mine in darkness, not sure how others do?

Thanks! I just got a little anxious about it not germing at all so I started 2 more for "insurance". I know it might take upto 4 days or maybe more to pop :D
I just recently read that you should germ them under light - I dont know the difference. :confused2:

i alway just drop my seeds in a small cup of water and put in a warm dark place for a day or two.

does the bag of soil have an NPK value on it?

niteshft said:
I had a seed take a month to germ!

:holysheep: I dont think I could wait that long

the the nutes are .07%N .01%P .03%K

i wouldn't worry to much about them gettin burnt in that.. but you could give it a good rinse and let it dry out. i don't think it would hurt anything

alright I will give it a rinse in the morning and let it dry. Thanks!

As the time draws nearer, I am doing more research on my final set up and have found a few things - first a hydro store kinda close to me where I will be purchasing a 150w/16000lumen hps complete setup and nutes.

is 16000 lumens enough for my 2.5' wide 4.5' tall final box?

My hydrostore has many different brand nutes. I dont know much about nutes - can yall help?

Looking at lumber from homedepot - their plywood is 2'x4' so I guess I will trim my growbox size to be that - 2' wide and 4' tall. the frame will be made with 1"x3" wood and have plywood siding. I want to get something white to line the inside with.

My cardboard box REALLY isnt working out so I am going tomorrow to buy the wood and make my final box. I really couldnt make my box any bigger than 2'x4' due to space so I hope it works out :D

Sorry for not updating sooner - the seeds didnt want to pop! one finally did - not the kush seed - just some bagseed. It popped this morning and the root is about 1/4in long. i waited a few hrs and transplanted it into soil just a moment ago.
I would like to post a pic of my grow box I just made but idk how - help :huh:

I believe there is a sticky on uploading pics. Alot of info to read here for the taking!

If your growbox is to be 2'x 4', you will have 8sq ft. For flowering you will need a minimum of 5,000 lumen per sq ft, which is 40,000 lumens. A 400W hps is around 50,000 lumens.
The 150W HPS would be enough for 3sq ft.

You are a long way off needing a HPS though. Your cfl will veg the seedlings for you, it is what I started with however they are not ideal, especially as the colour spectrum is 2700k, this is in the red part of the light spectrum which could make the seedlings stretch. While in veg, plants prefer the blue part of the colour spectrum (6500k).

As for germinating your seeds, I have not had that much joy myself, but the mthod that has worked for me recently has been a glas of ph'd water, no nutes in a warm dark place. Once a root appears, into some kind of moist/damp growing medium. Again, no nutes at this stage as the seed pod contains enough food for the first couple of days. Once the seedling pops its head out, I spray the seedling with a 1/4 strength nute mix.
I am far from what you would call experienced and am still fumbling my way along with the help from the guys here. I am prety sure the advice is good though.
Hope this helps.
Peace
Woody

woodydude - I guess I shall save up a little more and get the 400w :D Thanks

Thank you rosebud I have a feeling Im going to really need it!

I never found the sticky about posting pics - can someone send me the link please?

hxxp://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16208
change the xx to tt

I cant find a good program to resize my pictures - anyone have one?

MosesPMG said:
I cant find a good program to resize my pictures - anyone have one?
Do you have "Windows live photo gallery"? It came with my PC but you may be able to download it and is what I use.

Latest posts

Back