First Post, First Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjammin

Reaction score
Hello all!

Long time voyer, first time poster! First, I would just like to say that I am so glad that I was able to find such a great resource and wonderful community here at MarijuanaPassion.com! I have learned so much from so many people in these forums that I am feeling pretty guilty for not sharing up until now.:eek:

Let me tell you a little bit about the grow I have going on here. It started off with 6 of the biggest, gnarlyest looking, random bagseeds that I have collected over the years. One did not germinate... Oh well, that was more than I expected. I woulda been happy with just three ;)

Anyway, I planted them all at the same time early in December (Sorry, I don't have an exact date, but I am sure I've been vegging for about 4 weeks now.) using Miracle Grow potting soil. I've been watering them with about a coffee cup full of water every other day until they started getting close to the size you see now, then watered every day. I would add a little less than a 1/4 teaspoon of the ferts shown below every 3rd day after the first 2 weeks of growing.

I started out using 3, 26w CFLs at 5500k. I just aquired a socket splitter and added 3 more 26w CFLs at 6500k. I have never turned off the lights so far. (24/0) I have been trying to keep the lamps at about 2-4 inches from the plants.

I have no plans, or desires to use anything other than CFLs throughout the growing process.

The two larger ones in the back, I have been training using the LST technique. It took a few days to get them into the positions that they are in right now. I did my best not to stress them out too much... but they have barely been growing for the last week. Been giving them a lotta pep talks and telling them how pretty they are to try to aliviate some of the stress I have put them through. I think they will calm down and start growing again really soon. ;) I am thinking I should give them another 4 weeks of veg growth to see if I can get another nice growth spurt before I begin the flower.

I also cut off some of the fan leaves. I wish I didn't, but the one on the right had leaves that were very thick and were obstructing the new growths on the sides. The other four, I just took off the single leaf and the triple leaf growths lower on the stem.

I don't think I am going to LST the three smaller ones. I just want to see what they do on their own with some minimal topping at a later date.

So what do you all think? I thought that it was interesting that the two in the back took off and grew so fast, while the three little ones in the front are growing pretty slow. They all look pretty healthy and very very green to me though.

I look forward to hearing your opinions and suggestions! I will do my best to keep up with the postings to let you all know how everything is going!

Peace!

First.jpg

ferts.jpg

fifth.jpg

sixth.jpg

second.jpg

third.jpg

fourth.jpg

:ciao: Lookin good so far bjammin.

Welcome to the group. Here's hoping for some females! :48:

Welcome to MP. May i say your young ladies are looking healthy and great. Here's some GREEN MOJO to give them a boost. ;) Look foward to following your grow from start to finish. :aok:

nice and green, lookin good ,,i do got a question did u say they are alredy veged for a month,if so they should almost be a foot tall ,so im just a little curious,,they should not be hittin another grow spert they should already be in a grow spert ,im kind of new tho so thats why im curious is this a special slow growing strain because all the plants i have are puting like a inch on a day it seems i wake up and their is a new set of leafs every morning ,,so im wondering if u are stunting their growth somehow??if u click on the link of my grow the one that says also in the title thats what 1 month and about 3 days is on all them plants their are 3 differt kinds of grows in that thread a Lst and a regularey grown plant ,,hope u work it out the plants look nice and green so im shure it wont take much to get them babys growin good luck bro

Yeah, its been about a month... I have no doubt that the two in the back would be much taller if I just left them alone. I did stress them a bit with the tying down and stuff. I figured that might be slowing them down.

The other three; however, have been growing very slow since the beginning. These were started from bagseed and I have no idea what they are...

I am pleased with the color and the thickness! I'm not in any hurry to flower and harvest though.. I have a D-T comming up anywhere between 2 mo. and 1 year! so I have to be smoke free for a while... :(

yea thats cool then id let them veg for a nother month atleast

welcome and your plants look healthy and green lets hope their the female variety :tokie:

this is my first grow and any words of wisdom are apprieciated. not sure why my little girls are staying so short, but they look happy and smell good, and i am in no rush to force em any more than i have already! i do wish i knew what kind of beans i started with though - maybe you all know how to tell what strain you have? do you have to wait to flower or smoke it? god i am sucha newb...... :p

this grow has been brought to you by the good people at folgers... :D

SWEET Stuff,
Yeah, just love them pics, and your ladies too. You can figuere that the one thing your babies will hardly ever get enough of is going to be light. See how your lady is leanin on the side of the container and singing. ? She has moved like that cause she loves to be in the light. Come on and think about it, all pretty ladies love to show their stuff in good light cause they like the attention, ha- ha.
That is some thing that I would like to recommend to you. Save up some more Denari and carefully plan on more light if you can, you won't regret it, and your ladies will pose pretty for you. Hey again welcome to the site my friend.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

I think they look awesome. I wouldn't worry about how big they are, as far as I can tell (I'm a new grower, too) the main thing is that when they are mature you can flower them.

My plants are at about the same schedule as yours and mine aren't as big as your plants. Mine have been through a lot of stress in the last two weeks, but they are starting to grow nicely.

:bong:

KingKahuuna said:
... See how your lady is leanin on the side of the container and singing. ? She has moved like that cause she loves to be in the light. Come on and think about it, all pretty ladies love to show their stuff in good light cause they like the attention, ha- ha. ...
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Actually, It's leaning like that 'cus I tied it down to try and get more bud sites. They were standing pretty straight before I did that. And yeah, the pretty lady in the back on the right is really eager to preen for me in the light! :hubba: It is becoming a chore to keep the main cola lower than the rest of her bud sites.

Lookin pretty good so far Bjammin..... I would just add that at this young age, I would not ever trim fan leaves.... the fan leaves is where your plants are getting their biggest source of energy for growing... that could be the reason their lagging right now....... other than that, everthing looks pretty good.

Gonna go into town and make a visit to the Indoor Store today and blow some gift cards!

Do you think that it is too early for me to transplant into bigger containers? I was thinking of getting some decent soil, a timer, and maybe some batp00ps.

Also, I've seen some mentions around that you can actually "stress out" your plants and turn them into males or hermies! Is that theory generally accepted as truth? If so... I may not have the guts to transplant them just yet...:eek:

Woke up this morning thinking it is time to start them on a 20/4 light cycle for about a week, increasing by 4 hours per week until I reach 12/12. I realize that I mentioned in my first post that I was wanting to go 100% CFL on this, but I am starting to get concerned about kelvins during the flower period. My wife suggested that I incorporate a 40w HPS in with my CFLs... that shouldn't make my 'lectric bill jump too much and it should be easy to control the heat... but I want to keep the CFLs close and the HPS would have to be farther away and will most likely be blocked by the reflectors on the CFLs.

Dunno... Gonna have to ponder this for a bit.

More pics comming this evening!

Add the hps next tol the other lights a little higher and just rotate plants on a daily basis. I dont think a 40 watt should throw off too much heat, you could prolly keep it under a foot from tops. I have a 400 wattt aircooled and 2-100 watt hps flood lights that are not air cooled. I can get my 100 watters about a 7-8 inches away with no problem with a fan blow on the tops. Just use the back of your hand as a guide to how close you can get the lights. If it is comfortable for your hand than okay for plant.

i didnt even know they made a 40 watt hps light, might as well go with a 70 watter

Okay. I managed to get a bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil, some ferts, and a shiny new 70w HPS from Lowes (had a couple gift cards):D . The new light was the only one they had that my gift cards could cover... I need to figure out a better way to hang it, but that's another story for later.

Anyway, my wife and I set about getting the girls into much larger containers and filling them up with the F.F. soil. I'm pretty nervous and I hope I did not hurt them too much... all of them pretty much filled up the coffee containers with roots. I know we tore a few ancillary roots...:holysheep:

Today, they were supposed to get some nutes, but since we transplanted them into the brand new F.F. soil, I think I am going to wait and see how they look tomorrow. (Or should I wait longer do you think?)

I'm pretty sure that the lights can be much closer, but we were out all day shopping, got home late, and the work we did in the room tuckered us out... Temp is a steady 70 degrees after an hour.

On the pic with the red circles, does anyone know what may be causing that? We've noticed those leaves looking a little strange when they were first starting to sprout and it appears to be getting worse as they get bigger.

Anyhow, here are the pics! My wife thinks I'm rambling now. :rolleyes:

first-2.jpg

second-2.jpg

third-2.jpg

fourth-2.jpg

fifth-2.jpg

sixth-2.jpg

with the foxfarm soil u should see a nice diffrence in growth,the hps will also make things better,i hope all is well keep it up.PS

Well, they seem to be doing okay after transplanting. There is a slight yellowing that I will continue to monitor closely, but I think they grew quite abit since last night!

Gonna get a timer today and start their dark cycle.

today.jpg

I have no plans, or desires to use anything other than CFLs throughout the growing process.

Haha, thats what you thought. It gets addicting and you will always want to upgrade and max out your plants potential.
How old are they? Are you gonna start flowering today?

Latest posts

Back