new years grab bag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dank.bud76

danker da better
Reaction score
in preparations of another year gone by, i reached into my trusty pile of bagseed and started sorting them. i sorted them based on one single determining factor, the shape of the 'pit' on the bottom of the seed. the bottom being the rounder of the two ends. i read somewhere (on here i believe) that if this is a round pit and not irregular shaped it is a female seed. never heard that before so this was my chance to try it.

i got 8 seeds that i speculated to be female. i started germination on 12/29, and by 12/31 had my first sprout, and by 1/1 all 8 had sprouted. i put all 8 into 3" clay pots in my shower by the window. i did this for 2 weeks, watering them with my morning shower ;)

i then took 6 of the seedlings and placed them into 6" rockwool cubes. the other two are now in 24/0 and are looking kinda pathetic. the 6 in rockwool i placed straight into flower under 400w HPS. as of today my tallest is probably 18", maybe a tad bigger. it is showing predominantly sativa leafs and as of this weekend (1/24) it has shown its sex. i thought it was male from preflowers but kept it since it was the strongest grower and glad i did! the next biggest plant is probably 10" or so and has a typical indica leaf. it showd sex this weekend as well. the other 4 are between 6" and 8" in height and two are growing fine and two are having stalk rot issues. i think i narrowed it down to touching of the rockwool cover to the stalk but these two plants will likely not make it as is even though they are not showing any signs of stress (that i can see).

i'm very happy to have a couple doing as well as they are and am curious to see how they eventually turn out. this was a bagseed grow and the seeds are from years ago so i have no real expectations. we shall see, i hope this sativa looking one doesnt get too big, i am very suprised that at 26 days from germination to see it this big. the 10" is still beastly but nothing like the other. i will be taking a clone or two from it before all is said and done fo sho!

i hope to be able to prove/disprove the seed sexing post i saw, or at least get some raw data to prove/disprove it. i really want to clone the two that i think will die so i can learn their sex. i really dont want to have two unknowns.

i also have a batch that i sprouted last week, but they are going to veg for a while first. hopefully with two eight seed batches i will find out, and maybe even find a gem in them thar seeds!

with that said i will post some pics in the coming days

here's what i know so far...

of the 8 sprouts, i put 2 in veg after room considerations. so now i'm down to six, but wait, of the "all female" seeds i selected, 2 of them turned out to be male, 4 were female and 2 are not showing. the 2 males have been sacrificed, as they were the scrawniest looking things you ever seen. i wish i had taken pictures of the seeds to verify because now i'm second guessing my selection but i was finicky and used a magnifying glass to inspect so we shall see. i did do a second batch just to see so we shall have a go at it again!

so now i'm down to 4, and of those 4 here's what we have:

one monster, it's LST'ed as of now, and it is easy to do so. soft stalk, though it is about as big as a quarter at the base but bends scarily easily (it still withstands the fan no problem and i havent broken it yet). one is just now hitting 16" and it has leaves predominantly indica. it is about as wide as it is tall and has short internode spacing, the big girl has about 8" between nodes :(

the other two were experiencing some sort of rot at the base of the stalk where it meets the soil/rockwool. i am not sure if i fubared the placement of the seed in the material or if the white reflective covers i use were touching and kept moisture around them. needless to say one was sacraficed. so the other of the two is not dead, but i taped the base of the stem to reinforce it. we'll see, the first one had shown balls (hermied) so i hope this one doesnt. either way, the big one will likely fill my needs, i cannot believe how incredibly large this things is getting.

without further ado, crappy pictures. edit: they look like theyve got some zinc defency in the pics, but theyre solid green, that some reflection or something.

IMG00025.jpg

IMG00026.jpg

nobody likes bagseed, eh?

well mamma bear is now bigger than i thought she would end up going straight 12/12 froms eed. today is her first birthday, 1 month old and she's a whopper, 36" wide in the scrog and still growing. i think she may provide enough all on her own. in the lower right of the last picture you can see the other good growing plant, more indica in nature but about half the height of the other but just about all the green in that picture is from mamma bear. i've now taken a couple clones, hope they root.

IMG00028.jpg

IMG00029.jpg

IMG00030.jpg

dank.bud76 said:
. i put all 8 into 3" clay pots in my shower by the window. i did this for 2 weeks, watering them with my morning shower ;)

WOW now that is one LOVE of growing... Showering with your plants heheheh:hubba:

love them and they'll love you back

err, i think thats how it goes!

dank.bud76 said:
love them and they'll love you back

err, i think thats how it goes!
hmmmm.. "I" thought it went..
"..if you love them, set them free.;)"
."if they return to you, they're yours to keep"..
.."if they don't.. hunt them down 'n kill 'em".. :rofl:

Thats funny as hell. Here we are buying RO systems, distilled water and so on,,,,,And this guy takes a shower and waters them with his Shower Water. Freeken weeds :eek:
OH,,and by the way,,what else did ya do,, to those poor little girls whilst in the shower?You Sicko:ignore:

when i was 16 maybe, but at my present age itll take more than a few branches... though it started every morning with a smile, just a different kind of smile!

this city water here has plenty of nutes all on its own! maybe it was the special stuff in there that helped it grow. now its growing more like i woulda expected a clone to be at 1.5 months, but from seed and at 1 month... i got a few clones of it i hope root.

here we are, a month and a week in, 2 weeks since they started showing flowers...

big mamma is over 36" tall now. thats right, 39 days from germination to this monster! she has 20+ colas growing. the little one is doing just fine, but is occupying about 30% the space of big mamma.

sorry for crappy pictures but it think you can get the gist

IMG00031.jpg

IMG00033.jpg

IMG00034.jpg

Looks like a jungle over there. Gunna be a crazy jungle when they're almost done.

Took a measurement today... 41" on the big mamma

took one clone of the smaller indica plant. would like more clones but every clone is a lost bud at harvest right now :( the predominantly indica plants trichomes are starting to puff up on the buds and smaller leafs! ohhh cant wait!

hmmm, noticed today a few brown specks on some leaves. not sure what that is about. looking at my trusty nute deficiency guide i speculate it to be magnesium, but could be potassium, deficiency. hmmmm i diluted my nutes recently woried i would burn them, wonder if that could cause that.

dank.bud76 said:
hmmm, noticed today a few brown specks on some leaves. not sure what that is about. looking at my trusty nute deficiency guide i speculate it to be magnesium, but could be potassium, deficiency. hmmmm i diluted my nutes recently woried i would burn them, wonder if that could cause that.

Have ya done any foledge feeding lately?;)

yes i did and i think that is what caused it after consulting the one friend i have who grows. on the leaves that were close to the light i guess feeding when the light was on would do a magnifying glass effect like burning ants or something. guess i didn't think of everything, doh!

did you have this problem too?

stopped my foliage feeding since i'm worried opening the girls up at night to feed will hermie them. reLST'ed the big mamma so it's now in a "S" shape. been giving the girls crazy nutes and they seem to be okay with it. dont use any sorta ppm tester, just measurements. gh maxi calls for 1 tsp per gal, i'm up to about 2 tbsp per gal and no burn. planned to keep increasing as long as theyll let me but i'm gettin skeered. i hope i can flush the nutes quick enough before harvest.

Latest posts

Back