5th season... 1st journal!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By all means, be safe...and do as your instincts dictate!! As long as you're careful, you should be ok....but you know your situation best!! Good luck!

Roddy said:
By all means, be safe...and do as your instincts dictate!! As long as you're careful, you should be ok....but you know your situation best!! Good luck!
Don't get me wrong, I'll be growing until they wheel me out of here in a straight jacket! :rofl: I am all but prepared to be a martyr for medical marijuana patience in my state! I was just saying how anxious I am getting... Mostly in anticipation for some of those "good buds" of days past! Lol

Okay, busy day today! I took two clones from everyone except Il Diavolo and WW x BB. That gives me 10 clones, 6 of which are Papaya, 2 Northern Light Blue, and 2 Sugar Black Rose. I will be taking clones from WW x BB in a few weeks.... Gonna flower her a little later than the other five... Il Diavolo is still not showing anymore hairs, should I cut the light to 20/4 or 18/6? Or is it still early, I don't know what to expect! :confused: Help me out here guys! I topped all remaining branches that were in the upper canopies of each plant; hopefully some of the under-growth will have a chance to catch up and join the party! This is only my second attempt at taking clones; the first time I had a 90% success rate out of 10... (9 for those of you having a hard time :rofl::joint:)Some of these cuttings were only like 2 1/2 inches in length so we'll see if this drops the survival rate at all... (my guess is yes, was in a hurry to get last pruning and topping done to allow these ladies to veg for about another week or so and get them flipped for crying out loud... If Il Diavolo hasn't done anything by then I'll switch the light back to 20/4 or 18/6 (based on everyone's feelings about such) Should I just wait it out you think? Oh well, Picture time!
0321111812.jpg0321111811.jpg
0321111812a.jpgI decided that I wanted to be able to see when the roots were developed well, and that I didn't want to inhibit root growth with clear containers; so I got clear and solid color cups, cut the bottoms out of the solid cups, and placed the clear ones into the solid ones. Now all I have to do is lift the clear cup out to see the root development!
0321111954a.jpg0321111955a.jpg
Side and top view of the LST portion of the garden after clones were taken... You may notice that WW x BB (center front) is spitting out three tops on one side, and four on the other!
0321111954.jpg0321111955.jpg
Side and top view of Il Diavolo... Looking good I think!
0321111949.jpg
And last but not least, the clones! I tagged all of them prior to cutting and only took one plant from the veg area at a time to cut from; hopefully no mix ups occurred! I just used a turkey pan with a plastic lid, all 10 wouldn't fit so I guess it's a good thing that I unintentionally bought two of them! Got 5 in each now!

So I dropped the T5 onto the auto Il Diavolo this evening; broke a branch off and bent the top pretty badly, but I think she'll make it! I can't get over it; I even thought to myself "you better move the plants before trying to do that" I lifted one side of the light and the chain on the opposite side gave way! This chain that I can't break with all my strength pulling snapped in two like the light weight 400 lbs or something! I also decided to switch the light from 24/0 to 20/4 to try and get her to flower... And to promote a little stretch with the other girls; I'd like to transplant and flip to 12/12 within 10 days or so... I put an air conditioner in the window of the grow room because my low for the last few days has been 78 (87 was the high) I'd like it closer to the lower end of this! 77 would be perfect but take what we can get I guess! Still can't believe I dropped that freaking light on my baby! Crushed me; broke my heart in an instant! I just knew I was going to lift the light to a broken stalk near the bottom... One branch and a crumpled top not too bad, but should have been avoided to start with! I'll be moving them before touching any lights from now on! DAMN IT MAN! I'm pissed! I feel so stupid... I asked the old lady how I could be so intelligent and retarded at the same time! I cussed the light out; probably won't do that **** ever again! (it's the light's fault now!) MY POOR BABY!!! I hope she pulls through alright... And you'd know that the broken branch comes from a promising bud site on the plant! It was only about 4 nodes down and was about 5 inches long! May have been 2 inches below the top! DAMN IT MAN!!! Anyways:rant: enough of that; picture time!
0322111946.jpg0322111947a.jpg
LST garden... Just missed by the light... Intact and healthy... Some were starting to lighten up in the green department so I hit them all with some big grow! Hopefully they'll take off over the next few days and I'll be able to switch them soon... Just waiting on alternating nodes on main stalks... A lot of the branches have them but it seems to move leaves about for better sun?
0322111947.jpg 0322111947b.jpg
Il Diavolo post crush! Not too bad do you think? You might notice a void on the front left side of the photo; broken branch was here! See the bend in the main stalk near the top? Is it bad you think? Probably slow development for a few days; or longer? ****, I just noticed a little leaf loose in the top view... Right side near the center of the plant! I wonder what else is broken?
0322111947c.jpg
The clones; My partner was supposed to mist them but I think he only did one container because the other looked dry compared (no water droplets on lid) and one leaf of one clone had a tip that was so dry on the last inch or so that it was crispy! I guess I'll have to make my way over there 3 times a day for the next week somehow!

I'm really concerned about my poor baby girl! Do you guys think she'll still do alright? She hasn't had any pruning for over 2 weeks now; do you think the stress of a broken branch and bent top would cause her to herm on me? Help me out here guys!

:eek: So sorry to hear about it Gixxerman. I guess that is one of those lessons you only learn with experience. I am sure everyone that has grown for a long time has dropped something on a plant at some point. But it isn't like there is a thread about it or something you read about when researching. I move my plants when I adjust the lights/fan/filter above, but that is only because I have done the same thing. I dropped my inline fan on a plant from about 2 feet above the plant and it sheared a branch right off...lesson learned :)

As far as the bent top don't sweat it. I pinch stems all the time to keep my veggin plants small and recently pinched one so hard it blew out the stem and an actual hole formed in the middle of the stem where you could see right through it. The plant survived and grew fine though. Let me see if I can find the thread and throw up a link.

-SSF-

Gixx, that is such a drag. I did it. You won't do it again. I move all the plants out before anything but watering is done in there. Looks like it will be fine. I cut a plant in half. It was fine, just small.
Hang in!

But did you hurt the light..... :bolt: was it during a :stoned: moment? :doh: No fears, my friend, I think all will be fine! Here, hit this :48:

SSF, thanks bro! I don't feel so retarded knowing I'm not the only one... I did that to a plant intentionally once; it's called cleaving, you put a small splint in the crack and it's supposed to trick the plant into thinking it's dying and pump out flowers like crazy after healing! Should be done about 2 1/2 or 3 weeks before harvest... The plant I did this to was a flowered clone right from rooted... So I didn't notice a huge difference in it and the uncleaved one, but wasn't smaller! Weighed maybe a 1 1/2 more dry weight?
Rose Bud, reassuring words are much appreciated... glad to hear that worse can happen and still be okay! Come to think of it, I had a friend have a light fall and snap 2/3 of a plant off at 6 weeks flowering! Still finished with an ounce a week behind the others! Imagine if he'd not have lost the top part! Then again, the bottom would not have filled in as nicely had it been present... Tall plans don't seem feasible under 400 watts; seems the penetration would fade and cause it to not be worth the veg time!
Roddy, HHHSSSSS (inhaling)... ... ... WOOOSSSHHH (exhaling)... Uhghgh ughgh ughgh (coughing) AAAGGGHHHH!!!! Thanks, I needed that! The light was fine, Not even a broken bulb out of 6! Actually wasn't :stoned:!!! I need to be :stoned: to think straight! I guess I'll be :stoned: from now on! I have a condition known as racing thoughts; I have a hard time concentrating on one train of thought... Schizo if you will... But the MJ helps tremendously... Not to mention with my back pain, insomnia, lack of appetite and general state of mind! I'm a walking need of prescription to medical marijuana!

Thanx guys, you've been great!:rofl:

Tuff luck on bending your plant...I grow CFLs w/clamp on fixtures...I always worry about a CFL dropping, have not happened yet.... as u know been following ur grow and :holysheep: you know your stuff....good luck w/the bent plant

OK, bike story time...

My friend (like a father to me) was the president of a local biker club, a crazy man indeed. He doesn't ride anymore due to alot of friends losing their lives to distracted drivers. I had been seeing the gas crunch about 5 years ago and decided I needed something to get me back and forth to work (20 miles each way). While I have always been an avid bike rider (wasn't uncommon for me to pedal 20-30 miles a day when I was in my prime), I have to be at work by 6am most mornings and the hour and a half ride meant this was out of the question, so I went to work building a motorized bike.

I don't have a pic, sorry, but I built a chopper style bike from a Giant chopper style pedal bike, custom made a motor mount, drive system and customized the ride so it was comfortable and safe! Bike would go 40 mph and get 160 mpg, but my riding it daily to work or anywhere else, even going on a few hundred miler trips made my friend worry. He decided I needed a motorcycle and bought it for me.

That was a Yamaha V-Star 650...small bike, but my first and I enjoyed it. I bought my Kawasaki Vulcan 900LT a few years back, giving my Yam to a friend...the one wearing the fakie helmet and was killed while on the bike. Not a day goes by this doesn't hit me, but life is what it is, we all do what we do to make it.

I haven't got my bike out yet, it's still a bit early...but I will get her out and I will enjoy another summer of RIDE! If you're on the roads this summer, PLEASE look TWICE, save a LIFE!!!!

I too have problems slowing down at times and make mistakes, Gixxer, no worries! My back pain is the main reason for my medical mj prescription, but the calming effect is a great bonus!

Roddy said:
OK, bike story time...

My friend (like a father to me) was the president of a local biker club, a crazy man indeed. He doesn't ride anymore due to alot of friends losing their lives to distracted drivers. I had been seeing the gas crunch about 5 years ago and decided I needed something to get me back and forth to work (20 miles each way). While I have always been an avid bike rider (wasn't uncommon for me to pedal 20-30 miles a day when I was in my prime), I have to be at work by 6am most mornings and the hour and a half ride meant this was out of the question, so I went to work building a motorized bike.

I don't have a pic, sorry, but I built a chopper style bike from a Giant chopper style pedal bike, custom made a motor mount, drive system and customized the ride so it was comfortable and safe! Bike would go 40 mph and get 160 mpg, but my riding it daily to work or anywhere else, even going on a few hundred miler trips made my friend worry. He decided I needed a motorcycle and bought it for me.

That was a Yamaha V-Star 650...small bike, but my first and I enjoyed it. I bought my Kawasaki Vulcan 900LT a few years back, giving my Yam to a friend...the one wearing the fakie helmet and was killed while on the bike. Not a day goes by this doesn't hit me, but life is what it is, we all do what we do to make it.

I haven't got my bike out yet, it's still a bit early...but I will get her out and I will enjoy another summer of RIDE! If you're on the roads this summer, PLEASE look TWICE, save a LIFE!!!!

I too have problems slowing down at times and make mistakes, Gixxer, no worries! My back pain is the main reason for my medical mj prescription, but the calming effect is a great bonus!
That's rough about your buddy but you can't blame yourself: number one, the motorcycle only does what the operator "tells" it too... Number two, it would've happened some other way, when it's your time to go; well... You know the saying! And it sounds like the other guy is one he'll of a buddy! Must have money lying around; I'm a good friend but never bought any of my buddies more than say lunch or a tank of gas... Maybe an electric bill here and there!:rofl: I'm just saying that your actions of giving the bike away had no influence on his decision to abuse the massive power two wheels between your legs gives you... Ultimately, be it his fault or the fault of another motorist, his time was up and was needed for something larger than himself is all! Don't beat yourself up anymore, life is difficult enough without guilt and regret!

Nah, a driver pulled in front of my friend and he had to lock the brakes. After sliding past the truck, my buddy made a fatal mistake when he let off the brake (we believe) and the bike went from a skid into a hop and then rolled.

Yes, my buddy is a millionaire lol, and very kind at that! As I said though, he is like a father and I am sure I am like a son...

faderharley said:
Tuff luck on bending your plant...I grow CFLs w/clamp on fixtures...I always worry about a CFL dropping, have not happened yet.... as u know been following ur grow and :holysheep: you know your stuff....good luck w/the bent plant
Thx a ton bud! I really am fairly new at this, but all I do when I'm not smoking or tending to the crop is read about cultivation (not just weed either, I like to breed Asiatic lilies as well) I just apply what makes sense to me personally and ignore that which seems to good to be true, or is just completely preposterous! The chain seems to be WAY stronger than it would have taken a 25 lb light future to break it... I know I can pull harder than the light weighs! That's the whole reason I got the chain I did: I couldn't break it so thought it'd work fine! Either way, I went over this morning and tied the batch under the now missing one closer in towards the stalk, bringing the end of said branch about 2 inches closer to the top: comparable to the placement of the missing branch! May actually work out for me! My partner is a complete Newbie and had never seen plants "sleeping" before... So when the light came back on at 2 am, he called me freaking out that they were looking droopy!:rofl: I said "give it twenty minutes and check her again!" he's all freaking out and says "twenty minutes? We gotta do something now, it's bad!" I said "just keep your hands off for 20 minutes and call me back! If they're not reaching for the light I'll be there within ten minutes to take care of it!" ten minutes later the phone rings, "they look fine, what the he'll happened? How'd you know what was wrong?" I said "they were without light for four hours, they fell "asleep" so to speak!" traumatic experience for him I think!

Roddy said:
Nah, a driver pulled in front of my friend and he had to lock the brakes. After sliding past the truck, my buddy made a fatal mistake when he let off the brake (we believe) and the bike went from a skid into a hop and then rolled.

Yes, my buddy is a millionaire lol, and very kind at that! As I said though, he is like a father and I am sure I am like a son...
You must have been online at the same time as me earlier... I didn't even have time to respond to fader!:rofl: I didn't even notice that you'd posted after my previous and before my last entry! LOL CRAZY!!!

So when I went to check the girls this evening everything looks great! My clones are starting to wilt a little, and I'm pretty sure my partner missed a misting last night because the crispy leaf is worse...I cut the dry part off just below it! I've read to cut the dry, leave the yellow! Dry will spread if you don't remove, and yellow will spread if you do remove... nitrogen from the lower, older leaves will start to depleat in order to feed the plant while it roots... If you remove the yellowing leaves, the set above them will start to yellow and so forth! Not sure if it's true, but sounds feasible; both the dry and the yellow! What you think?:confused:

edit: I forgot to take my camera with me this evening and the old lady is out of town; I've got the girls and couldn't make 2 trips... I know; :shocked: NO PICTURES!!! But I'll catch up tomorrow! I also wanted to add that I had used a pipe cleaner and tied the branch below the missing one of Il diavolo to the main stalk pulling it up and inward... Seems it'll work out alright! I also hit her with a dose of flowering nutes today, hopefully will aid in her transition!

okay, so I transplanted all of the girls except two; WW x BB and Papaya #3... (didn't have enough dirt... Will have to hit up the hydro shop on Monday unless I can wheel and deal a 20 dollar bill somewhere! I'm concerned with NLB; her stems are really flimsy from halfway up to tip!? Anyone know what could cause this!? You can see it in the photo, the flimsy part is also almost solid purple in color! Think it has something to do with cool air from the air conditioner maybe?:confused: Il Diavolo is looking good today, Pretty sure she's starting to flower because the top cluster is getting more and more little white hairs in it... Also pictured below!
0324111939.jpg
roots typical of all four that were transplanted today... Getting close to time.
0324111925.jpg0324112022.jpg
0324112021.jpg First picture is of the Northern Light Blue stem and it's deep purple color... notice it's angle away from the camera, it seems almost string-like.. second and third are pictures of the four I transplanted, NLB in the front right; notice how the longer stems are bending? I've got a fan directed at her to see if maybe it needs some wind to strengthen her up... IDK what else to do ... Help me!!!
0324112006.jpg0324112005b.jpg
Side and top view of Il Diavolo; Not looking too bad I'd say!
0324112005.jpg
Close up of the top cluster of Il Diavolo; See the white hairs starting to consume her! I hope she's okay!(lol) what am I going to do?:rofl:
0324112021a.jpg
WWxBB and Papaya 3... Waiting on soil for transplant!
0324112025.jpg
Clones; Looking pretty good to not have roots or a plant feeding them... Hoping for 100% propagation rate!

I am going to flip the 12/12 girls to flower in a week... They're 4 weeks old today! I figure 5 weeks vegging is probably good... Still no alternating nodes on the main stems, but I think they'll be in full maturity by this time next week!(hope so anyway)... I'll be posting a thread in the general indoor section about flimsy stems... I hope it's nothing too serious!

Okay, so after doing some research online about plants (in general) I'm thinking that the flimsy seems are a combination of things; I think the light was too far from her as she was slighty shorter than the others, add to this the four hours of darkness I added a day 2 days ago and The fact that she's been sitting in the back of the garden possibly not receiving any stimulation from the fan and I'm pretty sure that stretch is to blame for the flimsiness. I placed a fan blowing directly on her for the evening, will go see tomorrow afternoon how she's holding up! I also lowered the light slightly, and everything is roughly on the same level after transplant today! I have got to get to the store and get more ocean forrest for the other two ladies! I don't want them lagging behind from rootboundedness.

so the Northern Light Blue was no doubt in a serious drought condition... When I got there this afternoon, her limbs were almost touching the soil. I watered her with a 2 liter full of water and was able to pull her branches down and watch them bounce back into place within 5 minutes! She looks slightly over-watered now, but At least I know what the issue was and will be able to deal with accordingly next time! I actually watched her stand back up, it was wild!:shocked: I'm half tempted to drought another so I can video tape it's response to watering; life changing for me! It's amazing how life works; and the importance of water holds more prevalence for me than ever! I managed to get some more soil and transplanted WWxBB and Papaya #3 also today... Looking good under the veg lights for the next week or so... Still waiting on alternating nodes on the main growth... Il Diavolo is in full swing I'm sure, more white hairs in her top cluster! I went ahead and took the timer off of the light, Stretched enough for my liking, and hopefully she won't regress to veg again. I'm SOOO happy that NLB is okay! I can't believe that it was drought either, I have watered them all the same; or so I thought! Either way, she's good now and will probably be stronger because of it! PICTURE TIME!
0325111603.jpg
Northern Light Blue, looking a little heavy in the leaves, but stems are standing again! I'll be going back over tomorrow and taking another photo for comparison... LOT'S Better! i had a picture of her before watering but it was deleted somehow:confused:! IDK, but she's good now!
0325111925.jpg0325111926b.jpg
The LST garden; All transplanted into their permanent homes! Flip these bitches in 6 days yo! WOOHOO!!!
0325111926.jpg0325111926a.jpg
Il Diavolo in all of her flowering glory! Can't wait til you can see the buds from across the room! Getting exciting now guys!
0325111926c.jpg
The clones, I think they've grown a little! No yellowing as of yet, No more dry spots either! Looking good guys!!!

Found a picture of a plant that looked similar to NLB 5 minutes before the first picture above was taken! She literally was this bad one minute, and standing the way pictured above the next!
droop.jpg

Latest posts

Back