Mentalpatient's Box Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good...;)

I like the amount of detail you give us. When I update my journal...., I seem to forget what I wanted to say. Or I just say something really stupid.:ignore:

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Thanks for these good words! CFL's yield a decent personal stash without a doubt. Buds under CFL's seems to be pretty potent in my short experience so far.

Yea, deffinately! CFL's grow some air fluffy weed though. Like not dense and compact like HPS flowered buds. Here's a little preview of what yours will look like. A few of my own personal buds from last harvest. Enjoy :)

buds 004.jpg

domspics 003.jpg

domspics 001.jpg

Great stuff to watch!!thnx
What curly bulbs could do the bud is truelly amazing!
Am a bit late but am riding the grow out from now!! Still have some catching up to do in the first pages!

cheerio

the closer the cfls the denser the budz will be and if you got all around lighting like mentalpatient and me, they seem to fill in dense i think it has to do more with the strains as i got one plant growin real dense and 1 growing fluffyier and their under same light same distance.

toke@smoke420 said:
the closer the cfls the denser the buds will be and if you got all around lighting like mentalpatient and me, they seem to fill in dense i think it has to do more with the strains as i got one plant growing real dense and 1 growing fluffier and their under same light same distance.

I know what you mean man. In my grow I had a few flouro tubes near the bottom to make sure the light penetration got to the lower buds.

Theres no getting away from the fact that hps flowered buds are wayyyyy more dense though. It's just all in the science, CFL's loose almost all of their lumens after about 5" when hps can be good for 4 even 5 feet away depending on the wattage. A 1000 watt can be farther away and still have better penetration than a much closer 250 watt. CFL's on the other hand are on average I'd say around 42 watts ish for 1 bulb. Even if you have 1000 watts in cfl's every cfl needs to individually be closer than 5" just because of the light penetration.

All I am saying is CFL's are the way to go for some personal buds, they get you high as a kite and give a fine personal yield. They are amazing on temperatures and also amazing on your light bill LOL. Although if you start to smoke like I do your going to need to up the lighting to get a little more buds to smoke yourself on.

Update June 17 08 (Day 42 of 12/12 Cycle)

Only time will tell how how dense the nugs get. Just by looking at them (in my opinion) you can tell that it just wasn't getting the type of light that an HID would give it. There's a noticable difference for sure. Sure CFL's might not grow the size, but the potency stays the same? :hubba:
This girl will definately be enough for my personal stash well past August if I don't invite too many friends over over the summer! Hah.

Took out a 23 watter from the box to compensate a 42 watter being used to vegetate a couple clones. I really don't want to over-do it on electricity. I'm over 230+ watts on an extension cord 12 hours a day. Probably nothing to worry about, and probably nothing big in the electric bill, but still... I feel kind of bad about using so much power but sometimes I look at what everyone else is using and it makes me feel better. But if she looks like she could benefit from an extra light I just might go ahead and add the 23 watter again. For now I'm gunna save a bit on consumption...

Moved a reflector to the main cola for a bit of light. I havn't done this yet, and since the cola is usually the biggest bud on the plant, I don't think it would hurt to fatten it up a bit.

Caused some slight burnings from the fertilizer. You might be able to tell in some of the pictures, but I believe I have burned her a tad. Well, now I know her limit huh? Excellent!
You can also tell that she has been burned by some of the bulbs too...

It's nice to watch the buds slowly get bigger... and bigger...

Temps are steady at 25C and 51%F.
500 ML of water every day or every other day. (Sometimes I don't visit the grow room)

pic1.jpg

pic22.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

yeah i know hps,hid,mh are all better for flowering then cfls.. but its also a couple hundred bucks, i believe my setups under 80 bucks and prbly using like 2 buck of energy a day, compard to grow lights you cant beat that.. over 1000 watts in cfls would buy 1 small actualy grow light prbly so i would just buy a grow light..

i smoke alot cuzz, i just dont bragg about it though it, your abig smoker along with every1 else on this site...

metnalpatient lookin good bro... i agree might lose a lil bit of dried weight but still just as potent!! yeah i know im thinkin stepin up to mh or hid soon when i get alil extra pocket change, just so im not using so many outlets 1 outlet instead of like 10 sounds a lil more fire safe i think.keep us cfls growers proud now cuzz... take it easy 2

toke@smoke420 said:
i smoke alot cuzz, i just dont bragg about it though it, your abig smoker along with every1 else on this site...

Comeon now brotha, I ain't trying to start an arguement here. I was just messin' around no need to take me the wrong way.

As you can tell in my signature, I grew CFL just last grow so I still haven't even smoked any HPS flowered buds LOL so you see man I mean no harm. And you know man if you were right here right now I'd be smokin you out on blunt after blunt. Sorry if you misunderstood me man. ;)

its all good doms i get what your sayin too..

youve prbly smoked sum hps nugz and didnt know it, yeah id be packin the bong with some indo nugz.

mental patient you have a deffinet greenthumb im really liking the look of those plants way to go

Update June 21 08 (Day 46 of 12/12 Cycle)

Things are going ok, nothing too special to report. No pests, no noticable nute burn. I should probably be letting off on the nutes soon. Was it two weeks before harvest that you're supposed to let off on the nutes?

I'm focusing some lights on the cola now. It seems to be fattenning up quite nicely! The last pic in the attachments is the cola.

Had a light fall down and bend two buds... One is touching the wall and another is bending downwards. Going to get some string tomorrow or the next day and get them facing the light again.

Temps in the box are 25C (77F) & 57% humidity.

Added another 23 watter in the back on the powerbar on the wall. I said to myself "harvest is pretty soon, it wouldn't hurt to add a bit more light until then".

This strain doesn't appear to be too frosty compared to other strains you would see. I'm interested in knowing just what kind of strain it actually is... Got a bunch of seeds out of some weed two years ago and saved a bunch, this is just one of them. But unfortunately, I have no more seeds but luckily I have a few clones left to keep the strain going!

Happy growing all.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

They look so good I can almost smell them. LOL!:hubba:

toke@smoke420 said:
yeah i know hps,hid,mh are all better for flowering then cfls..

no there not! MH is best for vegging. sounds like you need to read up about the light spectrum needed for MJ. I've seen some mighty fine grows on here and other forums with just cfls!

Wow, Looks awesome MP. I have had a major disaster. But I am recovering. Lost 2 plants so far but I have some clones. My female is doing well not so good. Yours on the other hand look awesome. Will post some pics soon. GJ.

Thorn said:
no there not! MH is best for vegging. sounds like you need to read up about the light spectrum needed for MJ. I've seen some mighty fine grows on here and other forums with just cfls!

thorn if i didnt think they were capable of flowering vegging plants why would i bee flowering with cfls, and veggin with cfls...so what your sayin mh and cfls are the same in veggin, also yes hps are alot better for flowering, im not sure but if you flowered under mh then cfl same strain, same veg time what one do you thiknk would be denser?.. sounds like you got some readin as cfls work great for personal but if your goin for yield buy a grow light....mentalpatient my man wheres the update at? ill be waiten....

no man i know that and just check out brouli's grows using 13w cfls. I've done plenty of reading thanks. Why use all that energy for MH lights when you can use less on cfls and help save the effing planet lol

Hey mentalpatient your plants do look great man I want to bury my face in them! hehe hope their doing well this week :D

Update June 25/08 (Day 50 of 12/12 Cycle)

Nothing too too special to report tonight... Things seem to be progressing nicely along. No pests or deseases.

Temps are 20-24C without the lights, and 25-28C with the lights.
Fans are on 24/7.

Directed a fan to blow from the bottom of the plant upwards through the leaves. Hopefully, this will supply more fresh oxygen to the entire plant instead of just the top area.

Nearing the 60'th day of flowering... I'm feeling the urge to chop a few branches off, but I really want to chop all of the main ones off in the same day. I'll wait until at least the 60'th day of flowering until I cut anything off her.

Once the main buds are gone, I can direct some valuable light to the inner-most buds. The ones that still have a lot of development to go. A lot of the inner buds have very little, if any at all trichromes visable. Some light would surely help!

I had to tie some string to the main cola since she was heavily limping to one side, carrying the entire plant with her. Also, some buds near the back needed tieing as well. Some other branches are leaning slowly due to their weight as growth continues...

I feel I need to decrease the distance between the light bulbs and the plant. I'm always afraid of burning my precious fruits. I'd feel better if I had direct air blowing on each individual bulb. If that were the case, I wouldn't hesitate in bringing the bulbs closer to the plant. But one thing with bringing the bulbs closer is that you increase the light in a smaller area. If you bring the bulb out a bit, you illuminate a larger area but of course with less intensity in any given specific area.

I've got 3 clones vegging in another box of mine. They are currently, and sadly under a lone 23 watter (1600 Lumens). They were under a 42 watter until I decided I wanted to use the bigger light for my flowering girl. They seem to be doing well, growing new shoots and all. I'm just waiting till my flowering lady is done so I can give them tons of more light and have a nice little jungle going on! They have a computer fan blowing on them and the bulb at the same time. The bulb is litterally touching the top of the three clones and no burning has occured due to the nice cool air the computer fan supplies.

Sometimes I think how she would look like if she would significantly smaller with the same amount of light. I'm sure the buds would be without a doubt much larger.

I tried to take some clear bud shots for any interested so you can view their development with CFL's.

Happy growing all!

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

ugghhh lookin good bro, dont worrie about them clones i have 4 under 1 23 watter 1600 lumens too, well i got a tube flouro on the other side... i built a new box, tell me whatcha think of the new setup.... how many times did you fim or pinch the tops? she bushin out like crazyy...

Update June 27/08 (Day 52 of 12/12 Cycle)

Nothing to report tonight due to it being so late. It's going on 4 a.m. and I havn't had any sleep yet! The sun should be coming up in about an hour or so. Just some pictures this time, nothing more.

Oh and Toke@Smoke420, I had her going as a mother plant for a good little while. I let her grow for about 2 1/2 months before flower. She was a generous mother plant! Over 40 clones, all healthy and going strong to this day. What a good girl... :)

pic1first.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

Latest posts

Back