Germinating seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyGold

Reaction score
Hey all, I germinated 100 Girl Scout Auto seeds 48 hours ago. I figured they would be ready to be put into soil today. However only a handful were sprouted! I used the wet paper towel in a zip lock baggie method. Do you think they just need more time? Worried here!!

I meant I just put them in a warmer place then they had been.

Every seed is different. Some take longer than others. Some need soaking or scarification.

I usually soak mine 18 to 24 hours before letting them sprout in the towel...usually 36 to 48 before I put them in the dirt...but they like warm, not hot....

I don't mean to piggy back off this post but shouldn't they also be in a dark area with slightly warmer temps while in paper towel with zip bags?

I, too, wanted to steer you right so I looked it up. It appears it IS best to "do it in the dark" ....as they say. Link to what I'm talking about and it mentions that 70-90 F is an ideal temp as well. https://www.sunwestgenetics.com/why-germinate-cannabis-seeds-in-the-dark/
Also Leafly recommends dark as well.... https://www.leafly.com/news/growing/how-to-germinate-cannabis-seeds

Hope this helps.

I, too, wanted to steer you right so I looked it up. It appears it IS best to "do it in the dark" ....as they say. Link to what I'm talking about and it mentions that 70-90 F is an ideal temp as well. https://www.sunwestgenetics.com/why-germinate-cannabis-seeds-in-the-dark/
Also Leafly recommends dark as well.... https://www.leafly.com/news/growing/how-to-germinate-cannabis-seeds

Hope this helps.

Hey just read those articles in depth. Very helpful! Thank you for finding them for me.

Hey do you guys soak the paper towels or just dampen them? Mine are pretty wet so thought about moving them to a damp one

Here’s my plan for tonight and please throw out suggestions; I need it! I also have a couple questions. It’s been 72 hours and very few have sprouted and those are short. The paper towels I had them in were very wet. I’m going to take tweezers and move use one on a new paper-towel. I’m going to put them in zip lock bags and put them in my grow room which is in another building and turn the heaters on about 80 tonight.

Questions
1. Should I just dampen the paper towel or soak it?
2. Should I zip the baggie up or leave it open for oxygen?

Thank you guys and gals so very much for all your wonderful advice and help!

This is what I do KG. Wet the paper towel with room temperature water, hold and turn the paper towel so that the excess water drains off either 4 corners of the paper towel, when the water stops dripping your good, place seeds on paper towel, i write the strain and date on zip bag with permanent marker, put in zip lock baggie but don't seal completely, they need to get air, put them in dark area. Some ppl put on heat pad but I don't. I checked my ladies this morning and all have germinated except one but I'm sure she will as well.
Hope this helps brother.
(Also Bluegrass Family)

Hey KG. I do pretty much what BD does. Some folks will soak their beans for a day or two before placing them in the paper towel. Sometimes the shell of the seed can be very dense and thick so you scratch them a little bit with fine grit sand paper. Not a lot, just enough to allow moisture into the seed. I personally just do it until the seed loses its shine on the thickest spots. When you get ready to go into the paper towel, soak it to field capacity as BD explained. Label and date your bag. I zip the baggy closed and place the bag in the box my ph pen shipped in and place that on top of my PC where it is warm consistently. I usually see them pop at about 3 days and I've seen it happen at 7 days. Of course I check every 24 hours, so the bag does get burped. If the ambient temps are high enough to dry out the paper towel, zip it up.

Youse guys can't keep track of the days for 48 hours? If you need to date your seeds you need a better method. Soak 'em in a glass of water for a few hours (up to 24) until they sink. After that into the dark in a damp paper towel. Seeds need to be above 70 degrees to reliably germinate. Scratching seeds to promote growth is a last resort and usually only done to old, unreliable seeds. Once the seeds are showing tails, plant 'em. Tails of about 1" are ideal, longer increases the risk of damaging that all important root. I plant root down and leave the seed exposed.

While it does improve germination rates, mostly this is done to give us more opportunities to exert a little more control over the process

Latest posts

Back