Crash Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang I just went out and checked since you reminded me and half my eggplants are gone. The other half will surely get eaten tonight. I gotta get a short fence for my tiny garden
The pepper patch is ok.
0511D563-5C2A-4634-938C-C6D438251816.jpeg

crash, you seem to find trouble but I admire your sense of humor and tenacity...time to think about a fence...

If it were easy and everything went smoothly, I would lose interest.

We are getting a vinyl privacy fence installed that, in theory, will keep even the rabbits out. For what it's costing, it should tend the garden as well.

The cat is another story, though. I thought he was too old and fat to get up on the raised garden, but I guess not. Maybe a low wire fence clamped to the sides of the garden, so I can remove them when I need to.

If it were easy and everything went smoothly, I would lose interest.

We are getting a vinyl privacy fence installed that, in theory, will keep even the rabbits out. For what it's costing, it should tend the garden as well.

The cat is another story, though. I thought he was too old and fat to get up on the raised garden, but I guess not. Maybe a low wire fence clamped to the sides of the garden, so I can remove them when I need to.
Raised bed litter box 😊

A tomato plant in the raised garden had spider mites. It was sitting off by itself, so I just pulled it up and tossed it. It was close to death anyway, and that happened in a couple of days. Different leaf damage made me think is was just over watered from all the rain. I have been checking almost every plant every day, but it's not easy to spot the bastards on wet leaves.

I'm close to just razing that raised bed (pun intended). Maybe turn it into a real cat litter box : ) It has onions and spinach and radishes ready to harvest. I could take those and wash them, then toss the rest and not lose any sleep. Except for the radishes I could do all of that in the hydroponics anyway.

Also got my Pylon TH order. It was supposed to be a six pack, and there were only two cans. Amazon is making me wait for the seller to reply before granting me a refund. The packaging is clearly unable to hold more than two cans, and the included invoice says six pack <sigh>

Couple of thousand ladybugs on the loose in the garden. Mites beware, two spot and predator alike. I may order some more.

bugs.jpg

They have their work cut out for them. I have both predator and two spot mites on both the runt and mother plant still. I thought I had the mother plant cleared, but the two spots are back and providing food for the predators. I don't think the predators are keeping up, unfortunately. I see both live two spots and dead husks the predators left behind. This was all on the first leaf I checked this afternoon. I don't know the condition of the eggs. The predators eat those too.

bugs2.jpg

bugs3.jpg

bugs4.jpg

Razing the garden is becoming a real possibility.

Couple of thousand ladybugs on the loose in the garden. Mites beware, two spot and predator alike. I may order some more.

View attachment 296776

They have their work cut out for them. I have both predator and two spot mites on both the runt and mother plant still. I thought I had the mother plant cleared, but the two spots are back and providing food for the predators. I don't think the predators are keeping up, unfortunately. I see both live two spots and dead husks the predators left behind. This was all on the first leaf I checked this afternoon. I don't know the condition of the eggs. The predators eat those too.

View attachment 296779

View attachment 296780

View attachment 296781

Razing the garden is becoming a real possibility.
What camera did you use to get these pics does it have a Macros setting

What camera did you use to get these pics does it have a Macros setting

This one connected to my phone. No macro setting, I just dial the focus until it focuses at the higher magnification. The dial is annoyingly stiff, which makes it difficult to get everything in focus without shifting the target.

71c49gJNPtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PVMRZQH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
It's next to impossible to get a clean shot of an exact spot with the leaf still attached to the plant. I have a tripod I scavenged from a (useless) grow light that helps, but I never seem to shoot what I'm aiming at. It does take nice pictures when everything is stationary.

This one connected to my phone. No macro setting, I just dial the focus until it focuses at the higher magnification. The dial is annoyingly stiff, which makes it difficult to get everything in focus without shifting the target.

71c49gJNPtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PVMRZQH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
It's next to impossible to get a clean shot of an exact spot with the leaf still attached to the plant. I have a tripod I scavenged from a (useless) grow light that helps, but I never seem to shoot what I'm aiming at. It does take nice pictures when everything is stationary.
I have 2 scopes like this just could never get it to sanp clear pics like yours
Might be a software issue

I have 2 scopes like this just could never get it to sanp clear pics like yours
Might be a software issue
I read somewhere the desktop software was lower resolution than the phone app. I get a lot of blurry images between the good ones too : )

Edit: I had one glimpse of a predator gripping a two spot, but got confused centering the camera and lost it.

I read somewhere the desktop software was lower resolution than the phone app. I get a lot of blurry images between the good ones too : )

Edit: I had one glimpse of a predator gripping a two spot, but got confused centering the camera and lost it.
OK I was using my laptop may explain it
You used your ph? did not know you could
Did you have to go to the website to download like an app to run it?

Just gothe the play store or apple store and look up max-see. I think it works with multiple cameras.

Edit: when you turn it on, it creates a WiFi server called Max-see. YOu have to connet the phone to that before running the app.

They found the girl scout cookies. Looks like they were there a couple of days ago and I missed seeing them. LOTS of leaf damage already, but I thought it was just more calcium deficiency. Not sure how long I have, but it's going to be an early harvest for sure.

Chopped the mother plant and one other in veg. There's just no way I am ever going to clear those plants completely. Better to remove them as a source of more bugs. I know everyone told me so, but I had to try : )

Cleaned up the GSCs as much as possible. Any leaf with obvious mite damage got clipped. But a lot of leaves are also looking ragged from some deficiency. I've seen other plants from other people's grows look like that close to harvest, so I'm not really concerned about it.

A ton of ladybugs killed themselves against the side light last night. I sort of expected it. Poor bugs...

I only found a few two-spots, and never more than one on a single leaf. Not all of them were moving, and the ones that were were moving slow. The combination of neem oil and soap I'm using must be helping.

So I have the runt that is very close to harvest, another EM auto that has just started flowering and so far is mite free, a young THC bomb outside also with no mites, and the GSCs.

My plan is to try to keep the flowering GSCs and EM auto alive for another three weeks. The EM auto will be easy, since I just have to wash the leaves every other day or so to keep it reasonably mite free.

I dunno about the GSCs. They may get chopped early. They are OK for now, but I've seen first hand how fast the mites breed and spread.

I could keep them going indefinitely if I could wash them, but there's no way to take them outside. When I changed the reservoir today I did look at doing that, but the bin with all the plants won't fit through the grow room door and past the cross over cable machine in the next room. The roots are also too entangled to take them one at a time.

There is easily two pounds of weed in there, and I am 100% sure I will be able to harvest it. Worse case is I harvest a little early when it's not as potent. At the moment I'm pretty optimistic (my usual state) and have moved on to redesigning the grow room. I'm glad I didn't do that in the beginning, since I had no idea what I was doing.

Chopped the mother plant and one other in veg. There's just no way I am ever going to clear those plants completely. Better to remove them as a source of more bugs. I know everyone told me so, but I had to try : )

Cleaned up the GSCs as much as possible. Any leaf with obvious mite damage got clipped. But a lot of leaves are also looking ragged from some deficiency. I've seen other plants from other people's grows look like that close to harvest, so I'm not really concerned about it.

A ton of ladybugs killed themselves against the side light last night. I sort of expected it. Poor bugs...

I only found a few two-spots, and never more than one on a single leaf. Not all of them were moving, and the ones that were were moving slow. The combination of neem oil and soap I'm using must be helping.

So I have the runt that is very close to harvest, another EM auto that has just started flowering and so far is mite free, a young THC bomb outside also with no mites, and the GSCs.

My plan is to try to keep the flowering GSCs and EM auto alive for another three weeks. The EM auto will be easy, since I just have to wash the leaves every other day or so to keep it reasonably mite free.

I dunno about the GSCs. They may get chopped early. They are OK for now, but I've seen first hand how fast the mites breed and spread.

I could keep them going indefinitely if I could wash them, but there's no way to take them outside. When I changed the reservoir today I did look at doing that, but the bin with all the plants won't fit through the grow room door and past the cross over cable machine in the next room. The roots are also too entangled to take them one at a time.

There is easily two pounds of weed in there, and I am 100% sure I will be able to harvest it. Worse case is I harvest a little early when it's not as potent. At the moment I'm pretty optimistic (my usual state) and have moved on to redesigning the grow room. I'm glad I didn't do that in the beginning, since I had no idea what I was doing.
Dont the mites get in the buds? If so do they die like on a sticky trap?

Dont the mites get in the buds? If so do they die like on a sticky trap?
I think they stick to the leaves where the chlorophyll is. They don't actually get stuck, unfortunately. Supposedly this is because they have webs, even though most of the time I don't see any.

Latest posts

Back