First EVER Grow - Prototype grow box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha Ya I get it, so its almost better to put the seed in root up? or atleast not straight down?

ok Thanks Jericho :D I will make sure my other seeds get done extra properly

I like to wait until there is a big ol taproot and then I put it into soil. I have better success that way. Every one has their own little ways of germing. In my grow bible by Jorge it says not to leave the seeds in the glass of water for more than 24 hours because it gets no oxygen and can drown. Ive never left a seed in the water for more than 24 hours so I wouldnt really know the effects but I thought Id just share that info with ya.

jorge cervantes is a god, greenhouse seeds are THE best, and Strain Hunters is a wonderful documentary.
With that being said - Should seeds in water float or sink? I have all floating but 1, and it just recently sunk.
AND with seeds yet to break soil, should I have a light on them? I have been about half an half, not knowing which works

Some seeds sink and some dont. I dunk them under with my finger and sometimes they sink. They dont need a light until they break above the soil.

Seeds will float when first put in water and some growers will take them out after they sink and pot them. I put them in paper towels after they sink because I like to see them sprout a taproot before I plant them.

So I came home tonight and to my suprise :holysheep: 4 of my seeds had broken the soil and standing up about 1/2" :D there are still 3 that might break the soil. I ditched the rest too many for my small box.
Thanks everyone for all the help so far :aok:

all but one has broken soil and 1 is even about to drop the shell and grow its first leaves!!! :woohoo: ill post pics tonight

THANKS!!!!
So how long do you think before I should take a trip to my local hydrostore to get the 400w hps and nutes?
-I dont want to get any other lights, I know I shouldnt use hps for veg but idc and I can always just use my cfls, I only plan on veggin for 3 weeks

I use HPS for veg. Have a look at my GJ, They are under a 600w. Just start at a good distance and work it down until you get them close enough. I would say give them a week under cfl about 2 inches away and then move to the 400w.

Nutes you wont need for the 1st 2-3 weeks of veg usually. Your plant will tell you when though. You will see it start to loose the dark shiny green. Thats when you want to start your veg nutes. Start slow and work your way up just like the lights.

alright thanks! ill go next weekend and get the light and nutes

:postpicsworthless: SOOO I am trying to take pics but even when using super macro my camera cant zoom in enough
1 of my plants has its first set of 4 baby leaves
the others still only have the 2 from seed
Ill post pics asap

MosesPMG said:
THANKS!!!!
So how long do you think before I should take a trip to my local hydrostore to get the 400w hps and nutes?
-I dont want to get any other lights, I know I shouldnt use hps for veg but idc and I can always just use my cfls, I only plan on veggin for 3 weeks
I'm just as new at this as you, so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Your box is only 2X2 or 4 sq ft. When you were advised to get a 400 watt light, a mistake was made saying you have a 4X2 or 8 sq ft. For 5000 lumens/sq ft, you'll need 20,000 lumens. You can get that from a 250 watt.

What are you doing about ventilation? You'll need some air flowing through that box.

:welcome: classic - my grow box has a 2'x2' base but it is 4' tall so I think a 400w is needed. and I am going to get a fan for in and out, but I dont know what kind, any help?

MosesPMG said:
:welcome: classic - my grow box has a 2'x2' base but it is 4' tall so I think a 400w is needed. and I am going to get a fan for in and out, but I dont know what kind, any help?
My box is 2x3x6. I have 6 sq ft and I'm using 2-250s. I burned my plants at first until I made a few adjustments in my box

I cut a 4 inch hole in the top of my box and attached a squirrel cage fan. I cut holes in the bottom of the box on the opposite corner of the box. I draw air in from the bottom and exhaust from the top. Also, I run a regular old fan inside the box to keep the air stirring.

I had my 250 about a foot away from the plants when they burned. Part of my problem was that I didn't have the regular fan in the box at the time to keep the air stirred. With a 400 watt, you'll have to keep the light further from the plants and you only have 4 feet vertical to work with. What are you going to do when the plant is 3 ft tall?

See Ive never used hps lights before so I dont know how hot they get, maybe I shouldnt use a 400w - it would save me like $70 on the lights :hubba: lol
I would rather my few plants get 3' tall than have a bunch of 1.5' tall plants.....

Latest posts

Back