First EVER Grow - Prototype grow box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MosesPMG said:
See Ive never used hps lights before so I dont know how hot they get, maybe I shouldnt use a 400w - it would save me like $70 on the lights :hubba: lol
I would rather my few plants get 3' tall than have a bunch of 1.5' tall plants.....
Like I said, I'm no expert either. I just wanted to throw out a few comments before you bought a light that wouldn't work for you. Surely someone with more knowledge will come along and comment on my thoughts.

My lights are hooded with a self contained balast and they're about 8 inches tall. If you buy something like that, even with the lights mounted at the very top of the box, you'll only have a little over 3 ft of grow space.

the 250w I was looking at is a complete system like yours, with the hood and balast attached. the 400w has a separate balast.

-QUESTION- Is a 400w going to work in a 4' tall box when I want 3' tall plants, or are they going to get burned? thanks :aok:

Hey buddy.

Classic is right about the lights. If its a 2x2 then you can use a 250w hps and save some cash. Will also not be as hard to cool as a 400w.

With my 600w i can get my plants within about 8 inches of it and thats with a fan sucking air through the lights cool tube.

If you only have 4 ft of space and you want the plants to be 3ft what about the pots?

You could try having a look into lst or topping to lower the hight of the plant and increase bud sites to even out the yield at the end.

thanks Im glad I didnt waste my money on something that wouldnt work - 250w it is
seedings are doing great :D

My plants are really starting to stretch, they are about 6-8" tall now
One of them has a wilting leaf, what is that from? I havnt used any nutes. Could it be light burn?

Seedlings to usually stretch a little at 1st.

Get some pics up so we can have a better look. Stretch = lack of light so i doubt wilting is from light burn (heat burn)

Just had to add some soil - they are getting too tall and need more stabilization
I will post a pic asap of the leaf, it is the only one effected and its only the tip of the leaf.

wilting has gone away....
I am getting the 250w hps this weekend.
:aok:

They do look like they need some extra light. They are stretching allot. 250w will solve that.

ya I check on them at least twice a day, and every time they have stretched more and more.
next set of leaves are starting to poke through :D

hey Moses,just poppin in to say what up...I grow in a small space like you have going on,have you considered using t5 flouros,I use 3 4ft double tube t5 in a 4ft by 3ft by 7ft tall closet and the heat and stretching issues are not a prob,you can have light as close to 2or3 inches from the top of your plants,this minimizes stretching,I imagine any type of hps will be very hot in your limited space...I grow photo period strains as well as autos and have noticed that the auto leaves can look kinda funky at first and will change the more mature it gets,as far as nutes,I use veg nutes(grow) all the way through on autos but drop to 1/3 strength after they show buds,I will add bloom and some cal mag till they finish,you can grow autos under t5s all the way with good results but a 400 or better will def give you better results if you have the space and proper ventalation,they now have t-5vhp setups that are awesome also...I have a seperate flowering space where heat is a non issue,veg under t5s and bud under a 430 agro,stay with it bro and green mojo your way....peace ps spend the extra cash on a 400 or better,u wont regret it in the long run....jmo

:welcome: mrfist
Do they make small flouros? my box is 4' tall but only 2' wide so even a 3' wouldnt fit.

At my hydrostore a 250w and 400w system cost the same, but with my grow limited area will 400w get too hot, especially when my plants get tall?

check out htgsupply.com,they can hook u up cheaper than your local hydro store on all your lighting,venting, cooling needs:cool:

hey jericho!
I had to leave for the weekend but I am back and :shocked: the plants have really grown.
pics tomorrow - I havnt been able to get my hps YET but they are doing good on the cfls

They are extremely stretched mate. no way they will be able to flower like that. They would fall over.

I think you will have to wait for the hps. The cfls you have don't seem to be doing much.

How far away are you keeping them?

They are really close but I only have 3 of them now
I just dont think they are enough.....

I am already planning on having to tie them to keep them from falling over

I can get some pots today and replant them with the soil higher to help

The next week will be the most crucial

Latest posts

Back