Drunken Seed Gets Lucky

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HippyInEngland

Smoke Free Zone.
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I've been badgered into do this, so here it is.

A little bit of a story to let you know how this happened...I had a buddy round in mid February and we got chatting about the viability of old seeds, we were standing in my garage smoking and I showed my buddy my old seeds, he handled them and gave them back and we went back into my house, 2 days later I went into my garage for something and the beer I had been drinking with my buddy was still on the side half empty, I picked it up and it had a seed in it and it had germinated!

I put the seed into a pot I had on my patio that had pansies in and forgot about it because we have snow, frosts and rain in a cold England so I expected it to die because it germed 10 weeks early.

Here are the results so far......

All purpose potting compost.
NPK 6-5-5 nutes (1/3 strength)

Picture 1 - The seed breaking surface with the seed shell still attached.
Picture 2 - Yellow bent and struggling to live, 3 days old.
Picture 3 - I couldnt help myself, I gave it some protection from the cold.
Picture 4 - Close up 5 days old.
Picture 5 - 12 days now moved into a little pot.
Picture 6 - 12 days from the side view.
Picture 7 - I realised the plant MAY survive so I had to tidy my greenhouse out.
Picture 8 - My grow area.

Picture 1 - I woke to this!!!
Picture 2 - 3 weeks old, growing slowly in the cold.
Picture 3 - 3 weeks from the side.
Picture 4 - decided to re pot, this is my method... put some grow medium in the bottom of a large pot and settle the smaller pot inside the larger pot with the plant still in the smaller pot.
Picture 5 - Fill the large pot with growing medium while the small pot is still in the big pot (making sure the medium is dry)
Picture 6 - Remove the small pot and you have a large pot with a big hole in the medium.
Picture 7 - Soak the plant in the small pot with lots of water then turn the pot upside down.
Picture 8 - Tap the bottom of the pot and lift the pot off.

Picture 1 - Place the potless plant into the hole of the large pot and firm down, (the water from the small plant is absorbed into the grow medium of the large pot and ensures the small plant is not sodden)
Picture 2 - Small plant now at home in the larger pot, you will notice I planted the plant deeper up to its first set of leaves.
Picture 3 - Cold?
Picture 4 - 1 month old and 6 inches tall, 1 week difference between picture 1 and picture 4.

It has been fed once.

:woohoo: yeah the beer baby is still alive ,,,,i would say goodluck but i dont think this one needs it ,,,it was one determined little bean that grew into a healthy looking plant,
cannot wait to see how it big it gets :peace:

Why re-pot it so deep?

Man, if this can survive the cold for a little bit longer, it will be huge by fall. Extra month and a half of veg time :)

Because here in England its still too early to hit the outside grows, it will stretch looking for light, it was planted deeper to suppress the up growth to allow the width.

That is hilarious. I'm subscribing to this thread. Its like the engine that could! LMAO I'm high. GREEN MOJO!!! Good luck man.

HippyInEngland said:
Because here in England its still too early to hit the outside grows, it will stretch looking for light, it was planted deeper to suppress the up growth to allow the width.
HEY HIPPY.. good luck on ur GROW im also doing a grow near enough to wher we are..im gonna finish my indoor and Go on to my out door i started to germinate the seeds sensi outdoor mix 3 weeks ago, iil be plantin in two weeks hopefully i an d others are hope'n for some climate change ..SUN plz IN ABUNDENCE GOOD LUCK:D

buddy of mine tried the same thing but its life ended quickly when someone used the opened beer as a tobacco spit can haha... good luck with this one looks like it was meant to grow

HippyInEngland said:

The lower you plant it, the more it has to stretch for light... get it? If you keep it as high as it was before, it wouldn't have to stretch as much.

Those leaves look ridiculous though, all long and pointy haha. Keep that sucker alive, this will be very interesting.

If they are stretching, raise 'em and make to sure to keep a stiff breeze on those girls. You want fat stems to hold yur huge buds yur gonna get. GL.

liermam said:
The lower you plant it, the more it has to stretch for light... get it? If you keep it as high as it was before, it wouldn't have to stretch as much.

Those leaves look ridiculous though, all long and pointy haha. Keep that sucker alive, this will be very interesting.

Thanks for advising me, I look forward to your other helpful in puts, I obviously know diddly squit and at your feet I rest my head.

420MrStoner420 said:
If they are stretching, raise 'em and make to sure to keep a stiff breeze on those girls. You want fat stems to hold yur huge buds yur gonna get. GL.

Hi MrStoner, ive not seen you before, im greenhouse growing, raising is not an option and the sun is my catalyst.

Haha. Very nice. That's a tough little plant. Let's just hope its a lady. I will be watching my friend. Good luck with the baby. Take care and be safe. Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back